What was wrong with this 355 S with 12500 miles at Mecum? 60K? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What was wrong with this 355 S with 12500 miles at Mecum? 60K?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

People at a mecum auction rarely get anything more than a distant visual inspection at most when buying a car. Thats fine for a freshly restored 1957 Chevy Nomad, or a 1992 Pace car etc... but not for a 90s mid level exotic.
    Whats important to a 355 buyer? When was the last major? who did it? Did they use HE tensioner bearings, or just swap the belts? do the headers leak?, Does it have buttress cracks? How old is the clutch? are there maintenance history or no records? all 3 keys? any accidents? Car cover? tool kit?
    You cant really get a PPI in the parking lot.

What venues?? Ebay, Autotrader, cars.com, anywhere else . 355 do not lend to 'spur of the moment' purchases, rather a a slower intelligent, thought out purchase.
    Even BAT has results $30k HIGHER then the cars discussed here from mecum sales. https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/f355/
    Who here bought a car at live auction? Ive bought 28 car in the last 16 years, not a single one from an auction house.

Forums play a huge part of the value of our cars. We get excited about something, so do future buyers. We bash our cars, people read that.
    I suspect the 993TT value would be quite different today if JohnK owned one and posted on their forums lol (Im joking...sorta)

INTMD8 likes this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  3. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I know John since grade school. His tongue n cheek condescending nature blankets all material items he owns specially the one he likes most. While the negativity in his comments tend to deduct from the overall value of his prized possession, underneath the sheet, a positive lurks. I’m going to add to it. Here’s the sum.

The 355 is a special car. Like a beautiful woman who needs your constant attention. She is pleasing to the eyes. Everyone “man” wants her but not everyone can offer the undivided devotion a real gentleman can. This fact steers away the rift raft, the wannabe racers and the posers. In the long run every 355 will be driven by the right owners because true 355 enthusiasts will not be switched by what John or anyone says. But even though, I do agree with everyone. Maybe John should be less condescending. He knows he’s not the only 355 owner. There are thousands 355er in the Ferrari world. Never speak or pick sides against the family.

John, our high school reunion is a few months away. You gonna wear your bell bottom and plaid shirt?

MAD828 likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If you're talking about me you have the wrong guy. Abington High School, class of 65.

5. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I’m kinda kicking myself for not buying the ‘97 Grigio at BJ for $6ok hammered. I was on the phone with BJ but got weak knee at $59k. This car had a recent major but I would have done another - mine have run $8k.

So $6ok with low teens, gated 6 -seems to be the neighborhood for a good example. I’m a buyer at that pric3, they are just so much fun.

6. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    LoL sarcasm doesn’t translate well through electronic mediums. I threw you a lifeline.