is the bubble due to burst? | Page 129 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Beautiful Daytona Spider for sale at Algar that was just purchased back in February at RM Paris auction. Depending on what the euro was then the current owner/seller may be taking a loss. There is also another thread here about some recent purchases now for sale. (I think the 250 GT California Spider 1503 GT) 1503 GT just sold at the RM factory auction a few months ago.

Is it a sign of the market slowing down when people buy stuff at auction and in less than a year want out?

In my trading days we would joke about the Greater Fool Theory. Buy something today with no regard for price because a greater fool will buy it for more tomorrow. Maybe these cars are not flipping like they used to??

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    IS THIS STILL THE BUYERS BIBLE , 11 YEARS ON ???

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe this Zero Hedge article will bring the "Bubble Thread" back from the dead. I've also posted the article in Silver in the Zero Hedge thread about their investment ideas:

Here is a ZH chicken-little sky is falling car-related article to put a caboose on this thread that seems to confirm most of the above comments. I'm also going to post it in the notorious "Bubble Thread" in the vintage section, where I'm sure it will get a lot of comments as it is based almost entirely on Hagerty data and not the emerging auction season:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-18/recovery-vintage-car-prices-crash-more-20089

5. sperry

sperry Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    It should go without saying at this point that years on from the start of this discussion, there was no bubble and it hasn't burst. A slow decline in prices is basically the anti-definition of a bubble bursting.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this is on the same day an f40 sold at auction for 1.5+M. mmmhh

and during the financial crisis stuff was down over 50% easy.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

True story and I agree but there was a bubble on the higher production cars (especially 80s). And the prices didn't just decline slowly, they tanked and tanked quickly. They landed higher than before but it was still a big pull back. Everything else rare experienced only a minor decline. Still plenty of fun cars out there for reasonable and fair prices. Markets rise and markets fall and more than likely the market will go down again before experiencing another surge like what was seen in the end of 2013. Buy something because you like it and feel comfortable paying for it. Do not get suckered into the "get it now while it's cheap before the train leaves" mentality.

The only thing I still find disturbing is the majority of the 80s and early 90s cars for sale (which was the snake-oil of the last surge) is still overwhelmingly and almost exlusively being held by brokers and dealers.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 550 took a huge hit. There are a few out there now under 100k higher mileage but still quite the car. Customer of mine sold his at the hight of the craze. He paid 80k cnd for it, and sold it for 220k usd. He did very well. I wonder how the current owner feels about his purchase now?

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    but they were on their way to $1M......

Bradwilliams, LVP488 and sixcarbs like this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Everything in ferrari land is on its way to a million supposedly..

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Today at BJ there was a gorgeous 599 with special metallic red paint and it went for $185K

I don't think all Ferrari's are on their way up. $185K plus another 60K will get you a new Portofino.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Didn't a 6 speed 599 go for 500k today?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Time hasn’t ended yet...

;)

Matt

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That was a 2007 and if you add in auction fees closer to 195k which is very high for an 07 599.

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I know right? What happened?! :eek: Hehehe.

BTW I found that car to be a huge let down. Loose steering with little to no feel. Rear end of the car squats up and down like a kid playing musical chairs in preschool. And you have to rip apart the entire exhaust in order to hear anything. I had a capristo exhaust and centerpipe on mine and still couldn't hear a thing. Had to put test pipes in it. If I wanted a car that Drove, felt, and sounded like a CL Mercedes, I would have bought a CL Mercedes. The only redeeming qualities I found in it were the styling (it is probably the prettiest Ferrari of the past 25 years) the feel of the shifter, and the speed (It was a freight train). But the problem was as fast as that car is, it didn't FEEL fast. I'll be sure to buy another one when I'm 85 or 90 years old and only have a few years of driving left in me.

16. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  17. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think (and I could be wrong here) that the Monterey Auctions are really geared to the International (Ferrari) crowds and the Scottsdale to more now towards domestic. There was no buzz this year about European cars. Monterey may be sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    My definition of the bubble bursting;

250 California Spyders under $1 million
    250 GTO's under $10 million
    Daytona coupes under $200,000
    275 GTB/4's under $500,000

Don't ask where the modern V-8's would be.

Caeruleus11 and paulchua like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3221 paulchua, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Zerohedge is like getting your news from "Addicting Info" or "Info Wars." Permabears (and Permabulls) given an infinite time horizon - will be eventually right...too bad they do such a lousy job on what matters - calling exactly when to pull in or pull out. Can you imagine being able to buy options with no expiration date or price premium to reflect that deal?

Bradwilliams and his pal: Super_dave (self-described 'expert in bubbles' that told everybody here to get out of not only all cars, but stocks, and housing back in 2015) - Brad agreed, and has been preaching inflated prices since 2013...

Bradwilliams, do I really need to pull out the numerous (20+) links to the posts you've been posting for years (like the one where you made fun of the guy that bought a TR pre run-up)? It was 50K wasn't it for a low milage TR? You said he was drunk?

I seriously don't understand how you can show your face around here given numerous people witnessed exactly what I'm talking about.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #5029 SA

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    my daily autotrader alerts...... something go pop ? ;)

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Absent some elaboration on miles, history and condition, that doesn't prove anything.