The Black Pearl | FerrariChat

The Black Pearl

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jan 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    This is the story about an accidented Mondial T I aquired 1 year ago. It has been sitting at the body shop since February 2017 and some weeks ago, we finally started fixing the body work. In the past 10 months, I have provided the shop with all original body panels for them to perform the work.

The front of the car was severely hit, but fortunately it was only body panel damage. The back of the car, LH side, also suffered an impact but repairing this is a bit more complicated because of the complex angles of the rear area.

All in all, this black Mondial T is a healthy car with a good engine that hasn't done too many kilometers, so absolutely worth repairing.

This is going to be an awesome car when finished. In contrast to my QV in Oro Chiaro, I will sell this one when it is totally fixed, presumably around March or April of this year. I am not keeping the car because I have to make choices and this one is not "special" enough (meaning no rare color, special previous owner that I'm aware of or any other thing that makes it truly unique).

The engine will be serviced by Officina Valenti and all other work will be performed by myself (if any).

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua and enzo360 like this.
  2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Holy cow, Stef. You just keep them coming.
    Seems to be a fun new project. Now you know my obvious next question vin? Plate?
    May I ask what's the ballpark figure OV charged for An engine?
    Best
    Jurgen

paulchua likes this.
  3. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    So are you thinking you want to sell this now.....in its as is condition. How much are you asking?

paulchua likes this.
  4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice project again!
    Mondials are very fragile at the front. the tubes are so thin and it looks worse then it really is :) the back is more severe IMHO

looking forward to see it progressing!
    This was a French car when sold new ;)

paulchua likes this.
  5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    yep, comes from Strassbourg

paulchua likes this.
  6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Shaping up well, work in progress. I still have a LH front section of the chassis from another T that I can use, so no need to repair the damaged one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I had 4 customers asking for a pair of front bumper light blocks in the past 4 weeks, I have a set, but need to use them on this car ...

paulchua likes this.
  8. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    paulchua likes this.
  9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Bumpers, and light units have always been an issue for the 3.2 and T. Many have been used to modify the earlier models to have a more modern look.

Nice progress! while you are at it. Reinforce the light and bumper brackets with more resin it make the front bumper less fragile while handling it to put it back. Old polyester is not that strong anymore after 30yrs

paulchua likes this.
  10. Black/black612

Black/black612 Karting

Apr 9, 2014
    London
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    This is such a brave project. It is great that you have the energy to save Black Pearl.
    Can’t wait to follow the progress.

paulchua likes this.
  11. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    paulchua likes this.
  12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Something tells me you will be using the end of this horse! :rolleyes:

paulchua likes this.
  13. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    enzo360 and paulchua like this.
  14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I've got good news and bad news...

The bad news is that the guy who was supposed to work on the car didn't make much progress after more than 1 year. The only thing he did was remove the front parts, put some parts in primer and put it on a ramp. After dozens of visits to his car shop and him telling me that he was going to start working on it in an hour, the result is that it has only costed me money because I couldn't sell it as a restored car, nor for parts. I gave him a deadline mid January to start the work and the only thing he did was put some parts in primer and unmount the front, showing 'something' happened. That's how he avoided giving me the car back and that will also be his intention once again.

So, yesterday I talked to another repair shop and the total repair cost (repairing the chassis, mounting the parts, painting the LH side and a major service of the engine) would be of 16.000 euro + 1.000 euro for the document of conformity. Assuming that this car would render me 40.000 euro , that would just be a bit more than a break-even for me and in practice a loss because I had to say no to people asking for parts on many occasions.

Now, I had to draw a line and make a decision and the good news (from my point of view that is) is that I will start parting it out and help many people with these parts. After all, I'm in that world anyhow. The car will arrive in my office in 2 weeks, probably after a serious discussion with the lazy mechanic.

I will create a thread under the parts for sale section in the coming weeks. I have all the parts for the car.

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Stefan, Sad you're going to part this out....the 16 mille is the guy who did the gold one ? I hope you find a way to solve 1 more from parting out.

Guido

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  17. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    indeed bad news.
    I wonder, from the 840 Mondial-t coupe made, how many are still on the road.

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I give people the opportunity to buy it as a project car until early April, then I will start parting it out.

19. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I'm not shure you have to change the back wing....a GOOD EXPERIENCED metal worker can shape that back in place.
    Just ask the right guy !
    Guido

20. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Are you after that position, Guido? ;)

That place is the most complex part of the bodywork of the entire car. A lot of metal plates meet each other there, including the brackets for the rear lights and the tube through which the cable for opening the trunk lid runs.

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Stefan...I'm GOOD but not enough experienced !:cool:

Guido

22. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    An example that looks wurse ...

Guido

23. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hi Stefan, glad you decided to rebuild it. You just need to find a body shop that will do it for less. 16K sounds too much. I'm sure my local guy, here in Italy, would charge a lot less. He isn't quick though. He had my Mondial for 2.5 years!