Tracking 488 gtb | FerrariChat

Tracking 488 gtb

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BlueCorsa, Jan 15, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    Hey Everyone - just got a new 488 and planning to track it a few times this year.

Planning to switch out super sports for cup 2s.

Has anyone had to replace the ccm brake pads after tracking?

If so, roughly how long to the stock pads last on track?

Are there any alternative pad or rotor options?

Would love to hear feedback from others that track their 488. I previously had a 991 gt3 that I enjoyed tracking

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 488 GTB is not as heavy as the Ferrari V12, so the pads last longer - one track day was enough to destroy the pads on the 599, whereas the 488 can cope with two or three (I don't drive very intensely, so that's less than 1000 km). Interestingly, in spite of reports about the electronic aids braking the rear wheels, the front pads wear faster than the rear ones (let's say two track days, about 600 km, for the front, and up to the double for rear pads).
    I cannot resist posting my lap at Spa again :)

3. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    Great lap! Speed builds so quickly on straights! Would love to drive European tracks sometime.

2-3 track days for a set of pads doesn’t seem like a well designed braking system, especially given how it’s promoted by Ferrari & brembo. I’m hoping to get 6-8 track days from a set of new front pads but like to late brake hard so we’ll see.

4. Macki

Macki Rookie

Oct 3, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Brakepads from real factory racecars wont last more then 2-3 Trackdays sometimes. so thats fair enough.
    expecially for a car with so much power

5. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    I have done 5 or 6 track days in 1 year of ownership of my 2013 458 and the pads are still more than fine. I would say have them checked out after your 2nd or 3rd track day just to be sure... but my sense is that they were designed to be used pretty hard.

6. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    No brake pads will last 5-6 full track days if you are driving it close to the car's limits. 2 maybe 3 days is the limit. CCM discs will last a long time (3-4 yrs, 4-5 track days/year) if you take of them well, like warm up and cool down properly.

7. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    I previously ran Ferodo pads on a 991 gt3 with steel rotors and got 6-7 track days driving hard at a heavy braking track like COTA. Figured CCM would last longer, but hopefully there are alternatives to OEM pads.

8. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    Sorry to semi-hijack, but for those of you that track, do you get a) yearly track insurance, b) one-day Insurance or c) YOLO and just run it uninsured? Normally I’d go with the latter but with a new 488 I’m hesitating.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My french insurance covers track days; typically organisers in Europe also propose one-day insurance as an option.

Zombies likes this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    O.T .... sorry ...

Fantastic YT !! Feels like I am driving the track myself again Thanx 4 sharing :D

11. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I self insure. Keeps me level headed and stay within my limits.

For people who track often they get yearly track insurance. Generally, 2.5 to 3% of the value of the car with a 10% deductible. (e.g. 300K car then about 8 to 9K per year and first $30K of damage is on you. Bigger issue is not the track insurance but the warranty or lack of coverage once you track the car.

Zombies likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I got probably 4-5 days use out to the pads on my old 430 Scuderia, but I think maybe my driving style isn't right at the absolute extreme. I love watching that lap of Spa....

Hey, I thought no one tracks their Ferraris anymore? ;)

13. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    What do you mean warranty and lack of coverage if you track? Does the standard warranty go away as soon as you take the car on a track (!?)

14. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    check your warranty book...ferrari warranty doesn't cover the car once you track it...unless it is during a ferrari authorized/sponsored track day (going from memory on this one).

One manufacture warranty covers every car if they are tracked (as long as you do the track inspections), just about all the manufactures have a blanket; warranty is done if you track their car... other manufactures only cover certain cars for track purposes.

People become very surprised to know that manufactures put out all type of lap times, track reviews, etc. but their warranty won't cover the car if you track it.

15. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    I checked with a couple of the larger track day insurers in the US before a recent track day. One of them only insured up to $150k and the other had a 2-day coverage requirement, but if I remember correctly, both had a high deductible... around $15k or higher I believe.

I will wing it and hope for the best..

16. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    How would they know you track it? Unless you install slicks, the G force recordings can’t confirm track driving.

When I asked my dealer, he said warranty won’t be impacted unless the car is modified, which makes sense.

17. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    regarding warranty and after market modifications (note: I'd still be careful through. sometimes one can lose by winning):

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

18. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Our cars log a lot of data. When something goes wrong with a car then the manufacture would like to know the how's and why's. Not just to determine whether they want to cover it or not but to accumulate data that may be an issue across other cars.

One time on track (non ferrari); my car just stopped accelerating. The engine was on, it was in drive but wouldn't respond to the throttle. I winded up turning the car off and starting the ignition again. All of a sudden the throttle started working again and I finished the track day (did about 3 more sessions and then drove it home)

I took it in to the dealer and described the problem. When they hooked it up to their computers they could tell exactly which gear and speed I was in when it happened (note: i kept driving it for some time after the initial issue so it's not like it was the last amount of data that was logged).

Dealers are on our side. They like the warranty work and keep us happy. Manufactures not so much. Although they may turn a blind eye if the issue is small, it may be different if the issue is big and going to cost a lot of $$$. If you ever try to lemon a car (it's pretty easy to lemon a car in california; easiest criteria is that the car isn't available for 30 days due to warranty work across the warranty period (not 30 consecutive days; 30 days total) then the manufacture will go through every piece of data to determine whether you violated the warranty and push it back on you.

When things start to go legal, you really don't want to go with the "how would they know"..

scuderia-seat likes this.
  19. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #19 boobernackle, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Dealers are never on your side... not now, not ever. They are always on the side of the manufacturer at all times, as that's what helps them pay the bills. I caught one of the top Mercedes dealers in the country committing fraud on camera, uploaded the file to Dropbox and made it public and sent the link to the MB corporate office.. and Mercedes refused to reprimand the dealer, stating that was a dealer issue and not a manufacturer issue. Mercedes even sent a factory rep to tell me they knew the vehicle defect existed and they don't have a fix for it. After almost 8 months of getting nowhere with a lemon, despite the video footage as well, Mercedes bought back the car within 4 hours of knowing who my attorney was. That's all I can say about that...

No, I don't live in California either, although will admit that Ferrari is by far the only manufacturer that seems to value and respect loyalty.

20. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I see... they are all bad guys. Fortunately I haven't had bad experiences when I needed solutions from the various dealers that I deal with.

21. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Congrats on the 488. Have any photos to share with us all?

After you're done learning the car and you've gotten the most out of it's capabilities give me a call and we'll talk about performance upgrades. You wouldn't believe how something as simple as switching to aftermarket lightweight wheels can improve your lap times dramatically.

22. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    Thinking only upgrade for now will be Michelin pilot sport cup 2

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apart from working on the driving skills, that's probably the most efficient upgrade available.
    Btw my lap at Spa posted above was on the standard Michelin PSS, they are definitely not bad.

24. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
  25. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I drive ct off mode all the time kn the road, everything off on the track. Now that I know my pads are done, suprisingly front way more than the rear, I suspect system kicks in with all four brakes when I do foolish slides and that affects the wearness of front too.
    I will just switch off everything after this pad change.. lol