Eclipse tips? | FerrariChat

Eclipse tips?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by ylshih, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    We will be coming to KC on 8/19 for the eclipse 8/21. I expect we will get up early on 8/21 and drive 10-30 miles or so north to get into the prime viewing region.

Any advice on preferred routes or locations for seeing it?

Staying in downtown area. Any "must-do" restaurants or sights?

TIA!

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Sorry, i did not see this back then, what did you do, where did you stay? where did you go north to?
    I was going to go south to St Joseph but saw the radar and instead went west 4 hours on I-80, and got some nice pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I ended up getting some guidance from a friend that grew up near KC.

Saw the WWI memorial, the steamboat museum, Truman's home, a couple of jazz night clubs downtown (incl. Green Lady), a couple of BBQ places (incl. Arthur Bryant's), Stroud's fried chicken, a downtown steak house, etc.

Morning of eclipse, we checked weather and decided St. Joseph's was going to be overcast, and drove east to Columbia MO, where we saw some partly clear skies, stopped off at a park a couple miles from U of Mo and the skies cleared right were the eclipse was.

So all in all a pretty successful trip.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Stroud's was a disappointment, but Arthur Bryant's is awesome. The WWI museum is awesome; very well done...T

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Agree. Would not go back to Stroud's, but would return to Arthur Bryant's.