Brake pad thickness?... | FerrariChat

Brake pad thickness?...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MaxxSpeed1964, Jun 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaxxSpeed1964

MaxxSpeed1964 Rookie

Jun 22, 2011
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Jim Soldera
    Can someone please tell me the material thickness of a new front brake pad for the 458?...

2. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    10 mm

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Welcome to FChat. How many millimeters of pad do you have remaining?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Bringing this thread back to life. Recently had my car brought in for the airbag recall, dealer wrote 6mm front pad thickness and 4mm rear pad thickness, which I thought was odd because I measured 7mm front and 8mm rear to the backing plate. Anyways, what's the consensus of when the pads should be replaced?

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Depends on use and risk tolerance. They can last a long time with moderate use, but a track day will go through them way faster. If they get too low, you risk rotor damage, and the replacements are very pricey. I’d say 2-3mm is where I’d consider changing them if I only drove the car on the street.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    Aren’t there sensors that would tell you when it’s time?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Yea there are wear sensors, and I think if the pads were replaced before the sensors touched the rotor, the sensors could be re-used? I think 7-8mm should be fine for street driving, and *maybe* one more track day (approx 90-100 track miles). In any case, I'll start looking at pad options since they will need to be replaced eventually. Has anyone gotten any feedback on other pads besides the stock brembo's?

Ant