Time To Buy An Aston Rapide? | FerrariChat

Time To Buy An Aston Rapide?

Discussion in 'British' started by David Lind, Dec 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    There are 17 different Rapides on ebay today. What's up with that? There must be some market factors or parts availability issues to explain this development, right? Never seen that many for sale at once. Hmmmmm ...

crinoid likes this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Um...unless you just love taking a bath on cars...stay FAR away!

3. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Saw one on eBay with a "Buy-it-Now" for $68k.

Looks like someone already took the bath on it. Yikes.

Not the prettiest Aston... that's probably why.

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Nicer than a Panamera for the use case. :) Nothing wrong with the mechanicals otherwise. Lovely V12...

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    holy cow...a whole bunch of early cars in that price range...crazy.

at $60-70k these things look pretty tempting. keep in mind that 2017 Rapide S's sticker for $220-250k....:eek:

anunakki likes this.
  6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That's why I initiated this thread. I would think you could sell the parts for way more than $60,000.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Until you try to use the back seat. Why did they even put the back doors on the Rapide?

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    If you own it, you don't have to use the back seat! :)

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    4 seaters of any marque seem to depreciate line a stone. I suspect in addition in Aston's case the servicing bills are eye watering and the model may be maintenance needy. But, I do not know for this model. Anyone have an informed opinion to help explain David's market observation?

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Best looking sedan on the planet!

anunakki and slm like this.
  11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'm considering a Rapide S for my next sedan, glad a lot are on the market to comparison shop. No idea why a bunch have come on the market, maybe a herd instinct? Maybe just because owners are seeing their age creep up, afraid things will start going wrong?

There are decent online discussions of the Rapide - here is just one, and owners seem very happy - not much negative to say except the trunk is a bit small for a family car.... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/358706-aston-martin-rapide-owners-input-2.html

The running gear is reported to be the same as other AM's, and if that's a valid comparison, I'd vouch for the S drivetrain. Our 07 DB9 has had zero issues in 5000 miles over 3 years w annual service needs averaging $1,000 at an independent exotics shop.

Cheers,
    - Art

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    no. that would be the karma. ;) but more/less same design origins

13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    could these cars be dropping out of leases?

crinoid likes this.
  14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thank you for posting your experience. I think the market has it about right, or at least, current prices are consistent with my experience of similar brands.

I looked quite hard at a V12V. An '11 or '12 was $120k or so when I was looking. This equates to about 50% depreciation after 5 - 6 years. Where else could you go for a front engined v12 with a manual 'box. Seductive looks etc. To ge the V12 in the Vantage boddy, Aston has to shoe horn it in their. Meant 15,000 servicing costs were, to me, high. Dealer quote was $6,500 before any "while we are in there" issues. I turned away. Other friends have had v8v and sold them because they were needy. "Plastique's" ownership experience of his v12v suggested the same thing. It caused him to sell it once the initial bloom was off the rose. I assume consumables like brake rotors, pads and so on are not cheap but the aftermarket helps.

The usage Art quotes above suggests an occasional use car (1,600 miles / year) where as, at least for me, and I suspect, more than a few of you, a Rapide would be a daily driver. I put about 5,000 miles a year on my DD. This implies a 15,000 mile service would roll around every 3 years, perhaps more frequently. If it costs the same as a v12v, the starting point for dealer service has got to be closer to $3k a year, including an oil change and a few bits and bobs each year.

Price quoted above does not appear to be out of line. On Cars.com there are 23 Rapides for sale with asking prices of $61k-$109k with most priced high 60s to low 80s.. Assuming about $200k new, they've lost 65 - 70% of their value after about 6 years, measured on a retail to retail, rather than a retail - trade-in or retail to wholesale which may be more salient for many of us.

I am not sure this is different from my own experience with a Maserati (Ferraris have been different). I bought a 6-y/o Maserati with 24,000 miles on it for about 40% of its OLP. It was fine for a few years. Only one thing terrible while I owned it. At 10 years old the advice was to sell it as what loomed on the horizon was not pretty ($25k). I sold it on trade for about 15% of its OLP.

So, crudely, I suspect the market is saying it is not "if" there will be a financial turd within a few years of ownership, but "when".

Philip

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    all that is probably true.
    so whether you buy it or not depends on how you weigh up hassle vs experience.
    IF i were in the market for another 4 door car, and i had a budget around the low end of the rapides, 65k or so, then i would consider it.
    i have seen maybe 6 rapides in the 3 years i have lived in houston - where there is no shortage of great cars. but i have seen each and every merc or bmw, or audi, or maserati, or jag, or etc ad nauseum .

so the rapide would cost me a little more to maintain? fine. life is short. i dont want to be like every single other person out there. i want to have the singular experience - or close to it.

if you have 65k, and were considering a merc, then go for the rapide. if it turns out to be a complete turd, then trade it in. live a little !

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    That's probably a healthy attitude and I commend you for it.

For me, a $25k bill, or looming prospect of one would sour me on the ownership experience. It did with the Maserati too.

No right nor wrong just to each his own.

Cheers,
    Philip

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, 25k would suck ! not necessarily advocating that everybody jump in for that !
    but, the probability of getting the complete lemon is probably less great than the probability of getting one that is not so much of a lemon.
    so getting one that will require 5-10k of work, is entirely likely, but then again that sounds like every other exotic.

my 2008 cl550 was taken into the dealer on november 15th for a recalcitrant left rear window, and i thought it was just a wonky switch.....they discovered that the rear computer module was bad, so they ordered a new one; then they figured out the window regulator was bad and they ordered a new one; then the pump that moves things around in the back was found to be bad and they ordered a new one; all this was done on my extended warranty, but adds up to 3k and 8 weeks at the dealer.
    so even the mighty germans can create used car problems that cost money.

once again, i am not advising everybody to rush out and drink the hemlock, but if you want to drive something different and give yourself a new experience, then do so, and get the extended warranty ! ;)

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Understand.

I think the extended warranty is the only prudent way to go, but changes the acquisition math. Rather than a $70k car, I assume the way to look at it is something like this:
    - price. $70,000
    - initial costs to bring up to warranteable standard, $1,000(?)
    - 4 year(?) holding period x $4,000(?) per year warranty cost, $16,000

Adjusted cost of purchase $87,000.

Not awful, but less of a "screaming deal".

19. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have owned a 2012 rapide for about a year now and has been my daily driver. I haven't really had to put any money into the car other than a set of tires. Having driven Mercedes for 10 years prior i thought it was time for a change and wanted something a little unique. I will say for what i spent buying the car i have had the best daily driver experience in return. Interestingly i have 3 clients who constantly ask me if I'm planning on selling any time soon.

20. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I had a 2016 Rapide S and put over 7500 miles on it in a year. Absolutely great as a daily driver - the sound is intoxicating and I only got rid of it because we got the Mulsanne. Even took it to the track a few times and it was great.

Now, if I can find a Rapide AMR...

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Rapide AMR? Awesome! Didn't know such an animal existed! How many were made? How many in the US?

22. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Yup, it's a limited production one. I should've just taken the build slot but had different priorities at the time :(

It was at Pebble Beach last year (2017)... absolutely loved it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki likes this.
  23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There's a blue on cream one on Cars.com I've had saved for four months and watched it go down to $72k and sit, then they put pending sale, then they changed it to $79,900. Still there.

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I have always liked fast sedans, or lead sleds, starting with the M5. I love the Jag Type R's and C63 AMGs...and I think the AMR Rapide is more of that. I am looking at a used Rapide tomorrow. Love the AMR--maybe one day! Thanks.

25. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    I still think there are Rapide AMR's kicking about I was offered a new one from an Aston main dealer in the UK only 2 weeks ago. I declined on the Rapide - finish wasn't great and rear seats are far too small for adults. I went for something with a lot more rear leg room, now where is my chauffeur's cap.

Attached Files: