Formular E-thoughts? | FerrariChat

Formular E-thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Anyone care to share first had experiences here? Been to a race? I can't get over the fact that the sound is gone. Just gear boxes, tires, electric motors. Then again my ears are not as good as they once where due to loud pedals. Of course it is the future. So embrace it?

2. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I caught a bit of the Formula E race today but, as usual, I wasn't able to watch more than about ten minutes of the race. I can't remember the last time I actually watched Formula E for more than ten minutes...too many better things to do.

I bet the races are fun for the drivers but they leave a lot to be desired (poor sound, seemingly low speeds, etc.) from a spectator point of view, IMHO.

I will, however, be watching the Canadian F1 GP live in about an hour from now...but those cars leave me wanting more sound wise as well. Fingers crossed that Formula E is NOT the future.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I saw the recap of a race today. At first, I didn't know what I was watching since there was no sound, just a commentator discussing what occurred. My first thought was, "huh, those are odd looking 'open wheel' cars. The front end is kind of neat looking, I wonder what series this is?"

My reaction was based purely on appearance, but after trying to watch a little, I was bored out of my mind.

Mark

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yea it's lame, sorry not interested.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't think about Formula E.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hate to disagree with ol' Seb but seeing as how major manufactures are committing to Formula E
    from 2019 onward, it certainly does look like the future.

Mercedes-Benz is pulling out of DTM in order to compete in Formula E and they've been in DTM
    since forever. Porsche pulled out of WEC and Le Mans to compete in Formula E. Audi likewise
    pulled out of WEC and Le Mans to focus more resources on Formula E. Other major brands such
    as Jaguar, Renault, BMW and teams such as Penske, Andretti, Act, Venturi are casting their lots
    in with Formula E.

Agreed, the cars are not exactly Formula One and the notion of having to change cars mid-race
    is crazy but the technology which drives electric cars in the future is no doubt going to come from
    racing and therefore manufactures with vision are committing to this format to be a step ahead
    of the competition.

I read sometimes that the entire Porsche line is set to be electric by 2025 (or so) and while I've not
    seen anything to substantiate this, the fact that they're foregoing Le Mans for Formula E is telling.

The technology and racing will get better and Seb will know when he's racing over there one day.

BHW

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #8 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hate to even bring this up but I met a guy at an Art Basel event here in December who works within the
    battery and animotronic industries and he mentioned to me that they're looking to do an all-electric racing
    series with (get this) no drivers.

Thinking about it, what would the point be really? Taking out the human element, the only PR there is to
    be had is for the cars. No thrills, more or less watching a racing version of "Junkyard Wars".

I pointed out to him, Juan Pablo Montoya happened to be standing ten feet away and I told him that he
    should go tell him about it and see what his reaction is. Ha!

Seriously, with so many resources that are going to be pouring into Formula E within the next two years,
    other racing series are definitely taking note. Just ask DTM. Mercedes-Benz has already pulled out, BMW
    and Audi are already in Formula E, they pull out of DTM and it will cease to exist.

BHW

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

They (millennials) may watch it on their I phones but not many will bother to go to races as the experience will be a joke. They may only hold them on street courses in the future as they won't have noise NIMBYS anymore. That way they can count anyone living within a 5 block radius of the race as a spectator!!

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I will says this now, and I am almost 100% sure of this as being a future fact. If they go do driverless electric racing almost every race track in North America will go out of business unless they get heavy government support to stay open.

rdefabri likes this.
  11. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I pay attention to FE about as much as everyone else here, but 1) I think Roboracer is part of the FE 'day'(no longer a weekend event); if it's not, it's a real series. 2) Jaguar is one the schedule, too, with a 1 make/car series. 3) 2018 is the last year there will be 2 cars used per race. Battery tech is improving.
    An Autoweek interview with the founder of FE said he is a 'racing purist', yet this miserable series features 'Fanboost' where a driver(or 2 or ?) gets extra energy via social media voting, maybe prior to the race.

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    They aren't committing to this series because of their product lines. They are committing because a) it's cheap and b) it has "cachet" (e.g., marketing).

On the subject of driverless, e-racing - it already exists. RC and Drone racing - which is about as much fun as watching paint dry. It's amazing how ****ty racing series are with marketing (and I don't just mean awareness, I mean understanding what people want - they simply don't get it).

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I respectfully disagree with the opinions on motivations for companies like Porsche and Mercedes-Benz to
    get involved in Formula E.

Knowing these companies, they're going to raise the bar in the technology end in order to pass what they
    learn in racing down to their road cars (as they've always done). The manufacturer that proves its technology
    best on the race track will ultimately have a huge advantage when it comes to marketing the technology they're
    able to pass down to their road cars.

My new friend who was telling me about animatronics also mentioned that Mercedes-Benz is already heavily
    involved with Tesla, so there you go...

BHW

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think you might be right by the German companies motivations, but for spectator racing you have to have spectators in attendance. Maybe they will go to cities and offer free or really cheap tickets for walkup spectators. That will do nothing for the race tracks as they don't have many if any walk up spectators.

And I am sure Tesla will get heavily involved with anyone who will give them money. Tesla had already spent the Mercedes check before it had even cleared :)

15. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    A strange confluence where FE is where the money is, and it's cheap racing!

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If history teaches us anything, and after all history is the foundation of this sport, Formula E won't be
    on the cheap for very long once Mercedes-Benz and Porsche get involved.

BHW

17. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll watch it if it's the only racing on the DVR, but I won't go out of my way to find it.

I read the article in Racer.com about the new mayor of Montreal cancelling the FE race. Seems the city was left with $30 million of debt, and attendance figures were suspect. 25,000 tickets sold, but 20,000 given away.

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While a may buy a Mission E to DD it would be solely for utilitarian commuting. But I seriously doubt I will have any interest in spectating FE. Double my non interest if the cars are driverless.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I honestly tried, When they came to Brooklyn, I watched on tv .
    Then I found out they CHANGE CARS FOR PIT STOPS, It was all over.
    Somehow its the future, but to me it makes no sense.
    I spoke to my INDY friends and had suggested Ecars at the 500, they all laughed and got mad...but missed the point.
    If they came on for twenty laps then pulled off, then 2 years 50 laps then pulled off, you get the picture.
    THATS WHAT MADE INDY FUN UP TO THE INDY RACING LEAGUE.
    you hadin the 50/60/70/80 and 90's bringing what they brought.
    It would then be fun, but if everyone has a HONDA and a v6 only, the ticket sales as of now will plummet.
    Just a thought. only 80 years ago , only 80 years ago....Henry Ford thought the Model A WAS AWASTE OF TIME UNDER EDSEL.
    Think about it.
    GTJOEY dying with gas in my veins.

20. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    What you are basically saying is that they are in Formula E as it gives them a decent ROI on their $$'s unlike WEC, DTM etc. Therefore it probably is the future.

21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, for now it does. But once major manufacturers get involved in a series, there's a tendency for that ROI to quickly turn negative FWIW.

I don't see it as the future because I don't think the series will take off. If major manufacturers participate in a series that no one watches, what do you think will happen?

22. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Formula E will be what it is for the next 20-30 years, until the kids today that are growing up watching it
    get into adulthood, and then it will 'take off'.

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't know watching grass grow can only be so much fun to watch. A little goes a long way. They will have to do something to peek interest. I don't think the sport can afford to stay as it is currently for 20+ years. There has to be some profit some how and I can't believe there is much profit in the sport as currently operating? I could be wrong?