Scott Pruett retires after 50yrs of racing | FerrariChat

Scott Pruett retires after 50yrs of racing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jgonzalesm6, Jan 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Scott Pruett announces his retirement after 50 years in racing, with Rolex 24 his final start. What a storied career.

2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One of my all time favorite drivers. I have followed him for many years, maybe because we both have the same first name but I always felt like he was a class act. I remember watching him in the late 80's when he drove in the CART series. Think that was where I started really like him as a driver. Then he drove the Firestone car when I worked for Firestone. Anyway I always wondered what he thought about his good friend Bruce and the changes he went through. I digress though, Kudos to Mister Pruett on an amazing career.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Hi to my family at home

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    beat me to it.

:)

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dammit!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The guy flat out drove everything (TransAm, IMSA GTP, GTO, GrandAm, CART, etc.) and
    was successful at it.

While not approaching the level of accolades GrandAm media bestowed on him as
    "America's Most Successful Sports Car Driver" (with a straight face as Hurley Haywood
    stood in the wings), he certainly was one of the true enduring figures of the business.

He's probably still in good enough shape to go out and compete against guys half his
    age. Good luck to him, somehow I get the feeling we'll be seeing and hearing a lot from
    him in the commentary booth in the future.

BHW

rdefabri likes this.
  8. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Scott is a really nice guy I've known him for a long time and also a great Vintner, Pruett Winery, which he manages to do at the same time racing, his wife, children and family all are great people.

rdefabri likes this.
  9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sitting on the roof of the Daytona 500 Club waiting for the start of the 24 a few years ago, the server stopped by our seats to say they were out of Cabernet for the moment, but they had a very nice Shiraz. I asked what kind, and she said "it's a Pruett."

I just laughed and said "Yes. Of course it is."

And it was quite good.

I said to Mrs. Rosso on the weekend, "How cool is that? He gets to drive race cars as his day job, and when he's done with that he goes back to running the family winery. I want to be Scott Pruett when I grow up."

norcal2 likes this.
  10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I followed him as well - when he was driving in the 80's, I hated him - primarily because he was racing for Roush / Ford, and I was a Chevy / GM fan. Over the years, I came to realize what a classy guy he was, a fierce competitor and a great ambassador for the sport. He'll be missed!

11. drive4fun

drive4fun Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    An intense, incredible, class act driver; the sport is smaller without him. I had the chance to ride shotgun 2 laps and drive him 2 laps in an LFA marketing event and he could not have been nicer. It is always humbling to watch a real pro drive. I wish him and his family wonderful years ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. For the same reasons, I rooted for him. 10 consecutive wins in The Rolex 24 ('85-95) is support enuff for my faith in Jack (I know, I know...he skipped '94. 'Still 10 in a row for Roush and his Fords tho') :)