Preference, old vs new cars | FerrariChat

Preference, old vs new cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I love all cars except high volume commons etc, realized though that I'm very drawn to old cars.

Carb'd cars and pre 80s. Early 70s and 60s are my fav.

I think it's funny how ppl rave about new mclaren and 488s. Etc. They all look very similar to me. I've driven a couple and yes they are cool and stupid fast. But...
    In 10 years they have so much tech, they will drop in price as new tech spearheads the auto industry.
    Low production numbers and classic lines always appeal to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think what era you grew up in might bias the answer. I was in my teens in the late 90s/early 2000s and so have a soft spot for cars of that era.

To me that era represented the point where all the mechanical stuff was perfected and the electronics were minimal, but what you needed/wanted.

SamuliS likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think it's hard to argue that the 1960s didn't produce the best of everything ever.

Gen 1 Camaro
    Gen 1 Mustang
    Ford GT40
    C2 Vette (split window)
    Various Ferrari 250 models (not all were 1960s obviously)
    Miura
    DB5
    Gen 1 911
    Gen 1 Fairlady Z
    2000GT
    Gen 1 Skyline GTR
    etc, etc

Then stuff like Saturn V rocket, 747, SR71, Concorde, updated Speedmaster (not '57 broad arrow), etc.

After the 1960s, I'll go with the 1990s as second place due to the F50, F1, CLK-GTR, 911 GT1. Last manual supercars.

SamuliS likes this.
  4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    1. I feel old in this conversation but!
    2. I was a kid in the 1960's and in the 70's like greg brady I was boiling carbs for my 1969 olds cutlass with the rocket 350 on the stove.
    All for 350 dollars.
    Heres the problem, when you get in your 50's and beyond, it becomes about the NOW , Ive had it all from the 1930's to present.
    The new Mclaren 720s is a spaceship, my 1966 Sting Ray was great but you get tired of smelling like fumes.
    The only true old car I can never sell is my E TYPE because to ME it was the real deal and still is a picaso today.
    I grew up with muscle cars, swore to drive them till I die, protest banning lead gas, fix everything myself!!!!!
    Then turned 50 . I lease, I pay a kid a third my age 100 dollars to wash the car and leave with a smile.
    Times change, you change, ENJOY THEM ALL, GASOLINE WILL BE GONE SOON
    Signed Captain Prostate!
    GTJOEY1314 HAVING FUN!

5. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I absolutely prefer classics to modern in almost every vehicle category.

FLORIDAsnakeEyes likes this.
  6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I love classics, I think the design and the passion built into the overall experience is amazing.

But there is no comparison - for simple point-and-shoot driving, a modern car is superior in every way. On the days that I'm "on the fence" about taking out one of my classics (say it's a hot day, or I'm not as into it), it borders on being a chore - starting the car (if battery isn't dead), pulling out of the garage, let it warm up for x minutes, drive with windows down (AC non-existent or works like crap), etc.

I'm overstating it - I love my classics. But after driving them and getting behind the wheel of one of my modern cars, it's amazing how much we take for granted with the new cars.

BoulderFCar likes this.
  7. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 Lotaz, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    I love classics but something's have advanced so far that classics seem very dated. I have grown found of classics that have some modern touches. Fisrt and foremost brakes. Brakes on cars from the 60's were junk. I am a safety nut and good disk brakes are a must in my world. The engine is next. I am sorry but even when you are behind a classic with carbs the smell is terrible. I can smell a classic from a long ways back when I am in my car. An updated fuel injected engine is a must. Once those items are taken care of I love the classics. I started driving in 78. My friends and I were all about American Muscle. I still love the raw feel of a classic but there are certain things that make life so much better. I would love to get my 69 Cougar/72 Chevelle etc back and have a second shot at building it.

I should state I am 53 years young at the moment.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Depends on how you define classic. Furthermore, after driving modern cars at speed the cars from the 1970s and earlier just don't handle adequately for my tastes...plenty of power but lousy steering feel, suspension, and brakes.

I think the 458 Italia (and Spider) will become a modern classic.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The difference is analog versus digital in feel. Modern cars have big fat tires and electronic controls that enable people to do stupid things and not even know it.

Ducman491 likes this.
  10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree with most of that. I do love classics more than moderns, but I should have specified they would have updated brakes and EFI. A gen 1 Camaro would be nice...

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    What rdefabri said. I'm currently planning to get rid of my 1971 Mustang and get a slightly more modern fun car for many of the reasons listed above. AC no longer usable because the refrigerant is no longer available. Get caught in traffic and I'll be wearing eau du old car cologne. Power steering by Toulouse to track(thanks Car Talk). In its defense, it almost always starts right up, it has disc brakes so it does stop like a modern car, and unlike my Ferrari, the mustang can sit in Chicago summer traffic and never get close to overheating. That being said, I do prefer a slightly more analog driving experience for my non-daily drivers. Because I still need back seats sometimes, I'm thinking about trading the mustang for a G35 coupe 6mt. I think it might be the balance between modern and analog.

12. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had a G37 IPL and I really loved that car. I think the G35's had better lines, most people like the G35 style over the G37.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Well I think you'll like the G35c 6mt. I have its sister car, the 350Z 6mt. It's a base model without traction control, vehicle dynamic control, limited slip, or even cruise control. No power seats and no vanity mirrors. Just driving. :) The VQ engine and transmission have been 100% problem free in 15 years.

14. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    This takes me back to an old friend of mine.....
    He bought 13 Edsels to build "1" 100 point convertible edsel painted Ferrari red........
    It was perfect and different but you know what a 1959 edsel painted ferrari red is?
    An old piece of SH#T Edsel..........
    Looked good though....
    My 720s has made any 2016 car 100 years old.
    GTJOEY1314

15. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Good to here. I’m still in the early stages, but hope to be in the position to sell/trade the mustang in August. We shall see.

16. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    The IPL cars seem like they were Infiniti’s answer to the BMW M cars. Practical on the outside with just enough umph to let you know it isn’t a grocery getter.

17. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

+1

The cars from the 90s and early 00s are the most appealing to me. I see the beauty in the older cars, but I don't have much desire to ever own one. Part of that may be because the oldest car I have ever driven is 1987..

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    New cars are better and faster, but not as fun....and the new ones look and drive similar. I have a thing for 90s supercars since that is the generation where I started my professional career.

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Grew up in the 80’s , cars from the 60’s and early 70’s were always my favourites. I’m all about restomod heresy to enjoy these cars to the fullest, purists be damned. My car, my say. ;).

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Back when I turned 16 in 1988. We had blue laws. Until 1986 you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays in British Columbia. Malls closed on Sundays as well. The Rotary Club even today, holds a car sales lot in my local malls parking lot. Id buy a second gen Camaro or a late C3 Vette and few months later flip it at the car sale on Sunday. So I have a soft spot for 1970's and 1980's cars. Id rather have a Daytona VS an Enzo!