488 GTO ? | Page 48 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nobody can tell so; rumours say it will be created with a new V6 engine ... but who knows ... :D

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    It just seems to me someone is going to have to steer this class of car in a different direction from being a number fest that this class and many others besides have become.

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think the issue now is that gap has widened quite considerably to the point where we have McLaren with the 570, Porsche with the 911 turbo and then Ferrari come along with the Portafino, a completely different type of car, different enough to render comparison with the aforementioned completely meaningless. A Dino could perhaps directly compete with those two.

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Dealer confirmed that they have no knowledge of any bar that has been set or likely to be set for the VS. apparently, the dealer meeting in mid-Jan should clear up the picture. When I pressed, he pointed out that F12tdf was allocated to customers with no F12s or in several cases customers who had only 1-2 F-cars but Ferrari wanted to widen the base of allocations for special cars. Given VS is not even a limited car, he just told me chillax, and see what happens.

May be it is a regional bar, but doesn't sound like a Ferrari one.

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Not every observation is a conspiracy mate.

6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Pretty comprehensive plan. Only thing missing in that list is the announcement of Marchionne's retirement :)

7. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I completely agree - imho the 'entry level ' Dino has no place in where I want Ferrari to go ..

8. TJF

TJF Karting

Aug 27, 2011
    California
  9. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    This is a Laferrari

10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Ok "Baz" :) (Australians always shorten peoples names) - here's the thing. Who the heck knows but maybe its a combination of Ferrari wanting to move 488GTB's and "suggesting" this might be a good approach. I really don't know (or care for that matter) But this was told to me by two dealers in two very different geo's. So I could either call their bluff or buy a 488GTB. I chose buying the 488GTB as even if I could get a 488VS it would be best case 2019 and worst case 2020 and I am impatient. So if this pushes me to further up the queue thats a good thing.

11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Dude! WTF... Did you order a GTB?

What colour? When does it come?

May the Horse be with you....

12. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Yup RC/Black - Get it in April :)

How are you buddy

Condor Man likes this.
  13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Awesome! I ordered Rosso Maranello with gold wheels and cuoio race Daytonas.

Arrives in March.

May the Horse be with you....

14. Rick Hansen

Rick Hansen Rookie

Dec 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Rick Hansen
    gonna have to sell my mclaren p1 for this, what you peeps say

//rick hansen

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    When the original Dino came out it wasn't even considered worthy enough of the Cavallino. Porsche is not at Ferrari's level. A cheaper Ferrari would dilute the brand.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You can't really go backwards once you 've reached a certain level of performance. Ferrari has stopped chasing top speed many years now (since the Enzo really), but they still have to maintain a certain level. Their cars get quicker though in terms of acceleration and laptimes.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Thank you for echoing this sentiment. Enough of the Dino talk already. I'm all for a purist sports car (love the idea), but the Dino was money grab for an ailing company.

19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    #1194 BarryK, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    In normal circumstances it would be sensible to move the Dino discussion off the 488VS thread, but we are so, so close to 50 pages of...zero facts! Let's keep it going guys :) :) :)

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Ailing company, strange that Dino production neatly tied in with Fiat buying a controlling stake in Ferrari.

I agree though, enough of Dino talk in the 488 VS thread. One thing I think might be different this time around is the relatively speaking low number of 458 Speciale being sold to buy 488 VS.

Ferrari 308 Vetro likes this.
  21. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I think you may be confused:

DIno = successful corporate survival strategy

Today's carbon fibre cup holder for $2300 = money grab

Automoblog likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Again, it's the name I have an issue with. I'm all for a simplistic, stylish, pure/visceral sports car. If they can pull it off in today's regulatory world, great. I'm just not in favor of naming it after a product that wasn't worthy of the Ferrari name or badge. I'm also not a fan of a cheaper, entry-level car. If they introduce such a car, make it pricey and exclusive.

23. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    What's wrong with the name? It's the Great Man's son after all.

If you look at Dino's values in the F-car world, it clearly is doing something right to be trading north of €400k, If you look at the mid-engined entry level Ferraris that followed, like 328s, they trail a long way behind, partly because they were relatively mass produced, and partly because they were nothing special.

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Well the sooner you get over that the better. Public companies are solely responsible to shareholders. Period. Ferrari needs something in that $200 range (not Portofino) to steal market share from Mac and Porsche buyers. They need to pump up top and bottom line.

That $200 range is a heck of a lot larger than $300k++.

And if you don't think there will be an SUV in the future--hang tight.

cesman and BarryK like this.
  25. TJF

TJF Karting

Aug 27, 2011
    California
    Ok thanks, misssed that.