What's For Dinner? | Page 285 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ah yes, salt and/or baking soda are also some go-to items here. That brush, and scrubbie never seeing soap is key. Good thoughts!

2. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Haven't whipped up a batch of soup in a few days, and our temps are plunging to Attic'm Arctic frosty-ness. Sweated diced celery, turnip, onion. Added garlic. Fresh cracked peps. Added to this leftover ham jus - leftover juice from cooking a ham for the in laws on Christmas Eve. Ham meat from the shank end. Red kidney bean. Simmer. Serve.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

Streetsurfer likes this.
  4. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Streetsurfer likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That looks good. Ingredients?

Straciatella = Italian egg drop soup per Google. My mom made that a lot when we were growing up, although never knew the name. We didn't get chicken in ours though, 'cause we were poor! Come to think of it, we only got hot water, salt, pepper and eggs, with a couple noodles tossed in. ☹️

T

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hey, don't make fun of us Texans, we got thin blood. If it got to -22 C here, it'd be chaos. -22C & snow, and it'd be Armageddon!

That looks awesome, the food and the view. Enjoy.

T

7. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    It’s a very quick soup. First time I’ve ever made it but have enjoyed it many times. Can’t remember what meats specifically to be honest.

Boiled some water and chicken bullion. Chopped up some spinach and whipped up a few eggs with a healthy amount of basil, parsley and grated pecorino. Pinch of nutmeg and I added some milk (only because I always do to stretch eggs) a little salt and pepper. Then as the broth is simmering you stir in the egg mix. Chopped spinach follows.

I’m not too confident in my spices so I’d rather not suggest. I use a lot of them but this particular soup is essentially a blank slate when it comes to subtle flavors.

A big bowl of it with a half toasted baguette was filling though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  8. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I.T. Guy likes this.
  9. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    daviday likes this.
  10. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hey Tom- I was given one of those fancy Mauviel skillets that you speak so highly of. How'd you season yours? Rid it of the beeswax? Thanks in advance. Cant wait to try it out!

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    See post # 7095! Happy New Year!
    T

12. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I’m a dummy. Don’t know how I missed that. Thanks!

And happy New Years to you as well!

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Likely missed it amidst all the good looking grub...T

daviday likes this.
  14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Pasta tonight -
    Saute onions, garlic, frozen peas, prosciutto
    add chx stock and cream.
    over pasta w parmesan. Moisten w pasta water

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yum. I posted this before. Pasta and peas. Like a dish my grandma made a lot during the Great Depression.

Speaking of tradition. We did black eyed peas and ham hocks for the New Year.
    Just heat through on the microwave.

Smoked hocks. Simmer in water for 2 hours. Dice. Mix with the peas. And, a little cornbread to go with.

Happy New Year, everyone!

T

Streetsurfer and daviday like this.
  16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think there needs to be a tomc restaurant opening in 2018! Maybe w a branch in ny too?

Streetsurfer and daviday like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, much too kind. Funny, that's what my mother in law used to say. But, cooking is relaxation for me. Best wishes for 2018. May it be one of many great meals, shared with good friends and loved ones!
    T

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Me too! Cooking is relaxing and so satisfying to create something out of nothing. Wife cant understand that. She loves food, eating out, etc and is a good cook herself but her idea of recipe is chx in oven with s and p.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My wife likes to cook - she makes great meatloaf, cornbread, red beans & rice, chili and her specialty, primo stuffed peppers. Thanks to F-chat, she has ceded chili making duties to me. BUT, when she does cook, I get enlisted as potato peeler, celery dicer, pot and pan washer, etc. So, it's not much more work to do it all myself!
    T

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    shes got a great repertoire! mine is down on quantity but great quality. she makes meatballs, roast chicken, chicken soup, brisket, and is master of the grill
    we prob eat out twice week, twice cooking, and 3 times either take out, leftovers, frozen, etc
    what about you?

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brisket & grill-meistress? You are one lucky SOB!! But, if your wife is like mine, she probably reminds of you of that all the time! ;)

We eat dinner out 1 or 2 times per month, usually a car club event or work-related. Wife likes to do lunch with her pals, so I guess she eats lunch out 2 or 3 times per week; me, almost never, I don't like lunch, if I eat lunch, I'm usually unproductive in the afternoon. Breakfast? Hardly ever eat out; it's too early to face the cold, ugly world! :) I would guess we do leftovers about 2 times per week, but there has to be a twist or the wife will carp! Straight leftovers, nuked in the microwave - no dice. So, leftover steak -> fajitas, leftover turkey -> soup, leftover chicken -> chef salad, etc. Also, I'll make a big batch of chili, soup, pasta, salad, etc. on the weekend, and we'll make a meal or two out of that during the work week. All this talk has made me hungry!
    T

22. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I second the idea of a “Tom’s and the Mrs’.” Diner.....as long as you don't forget the Suburban Chicago area.

Lamb burgers done in banana leaf and some wild boar bacon. I didn’t notice much added flavor from the leaves but it sure kept the burgers moist and done evenly through. After unwrapping, a quick sear on the skillet and they were salted and devoured before pictures could be snapped. Juice (for later) is carrot/apples-green and various red/lime/blood orange/ginger/turmeric. I had the meats for a late lunch but this is the thread that has so inspired me and resulted in my eating better and feeling better, I thought it should be shared here. Thanks to you all.

I loved the video Tom.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Aww shucks, Ron. I did pork in banana leaves some years back. Kind of a gringo cochinita pibil. As I recall, it did a great job at holding in moisture. Not much flavor, but good theater.

Steaks and salad tonight. Artichoke vinaigrette on the latter. Rib eyes. Too cold for us thin blooded Texans to grill outside, so I did everything inside. 225 F for about an hour (steaks were frozen when I started. Oops! ), then about 5 min on hi broiler, with a flip midway. Steaks were generously coated both sides with Himalayan pink salt; y'all convinced me to give it a try. Good stuff.

It was technically flame kissed, but not as good as outdoor grilling, of course.

Finished off a bottle of Mommessin Morgon from 2010 we started a few nights ago. Great!

Then, switched to a Kirkland (yep, Costco brand ) Gigondas. Meh. Thought 2015 was a good vintage. But, as I said, meh.

T

24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wait, was cooking steaks from frozen intentional?
    Interesting alternative to defrosting