Help finding: F355 red / yellow manual spider, high miles, project, salvage | FerrariChat

Help finding: F355 red / yellow manual spider, high miles, project, salvage

Discussion in '348/355' started by elliott95, May 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    #1 elliott95, May 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello FerrariChat,

I am a new member on here, my name is Elliott.

I am currently trying to locate a car to rebuild or restore. I may sell or trade my car to do so, may also buy outright.

Would anyone be interested in trading or does anyone know of a project that may be for sale under the radar?

My car is below, could add cash if needed depending on 355 condition or could purchase outright etc, i am open to trading to a dealer possibly.

Looking for a F355 manual in red or yellow preferably , but ill look at any car, any milage, any title, etc etc

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated, been enjoying this forum, lots to learn and see.

BMW 1995 E36 M3 LTW GTR tribute:

Basically its a full carbon widebody with the BMW Motorsport cage inside.

Here is a picture before when it was a LTW tribute, now it has the full carbon widebody.

The car is "race condition" has a 3M wrap over the bare carbon and metal body, needs suspension, needs fire system to race.

The car does have a full OEM LTW tray/splitter, interior, door trim, wing is full carbon, full carbon door panels, full carbon intake, carbon trunk, carbon front end etc etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Cool car but you should post some better pictures. Those are terrible in a For Sale thread - especially that artsy front shot. Can't really see the detail of the condition of the car. How much are you looking to get for it? Also, some info on the engine, mileage, etc would be nice

3. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Hey Erik,

I will update it when i get back with better detailed pictures and info, sorry i know they are bad, just wanted to get the thread posted up before this trip.

Thanks i will try to update soon,
    Elliott

4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    HDR pictures are good for Instagram, not for for-sale ads.
    Finding a 355 can be hard, finding one you speak of is extremely hard, and finding that specific 355 with an owner that wants to trade ....well, You're better selling outright first

try iaai

5. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Here are some updates/pictures of my car.

I decided I will keep the trade open for a 355 spider, any miles any condition any color any transmission will be considered, but must be clean title and somewhat road worthy

I can explain my car below in detail to interested people as it's story and history are very very long but please note it's NOT for sale.

Only willing to trade. Will NOT sell outright.

Saying what it is, is easier and if interested parties would like to know more please ask and I'll enlighten you via phone call.

It's basically a 1995 E36 M3 GTR.

I built a Lightweight tribute years ago off of a alpine white 8/95 production (same as lightweights) 1995 e36 M3. Then after a few years I put a BMW Motorsport cage inside of it. Years later I finally added a full carbon fiber widebody.

I think it's one of only a few cars in the world with all the OEM parts installed WITH a full BMW Motorsport cage AND a full widebody installed.

I have seen one similar car and it's in the basement at BMW HQ in Germany and I believe the only other is a ex Johnny Cecotto car in the museum above it. If people know of others please tell me

Anyway the cars story is very long but I am willing to explain everything via phone or I can link a "for trade add"

Thanks again love this forum and all the beautiful cars. Hope you like Elliott

6. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
  7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sweet Bimmer!!!

Any pics of the power plant?

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Did you make these carbon parts yourself? Is that a cold process? Like our Kevlar pieces?

9. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    #11 elliott95, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Hey Ernie,

Ill try to find some pictures of the engine bay, its just running a custom 3" race exhaust and full 4" race intake. The car is so much fun, i took it out yesterday and couldn't believe the noise it puts off, ill attach a video. Its loud :)

Hey VVassallo,

Yes i was taught how to build custom structures for boats and cars as well as trim parts all out of fiber glass and carbon. I used my skills to build this kit custom because no other kits existed that were built this well.

Each part (fender, bumper, trunk etc etc) is about four layers of carbon fiber with a back up layer of carbon kevlar (for flexibility). I used a two part epoxy for better strength vs a traditional polyester resin that cracks and epoxy also has better UV resistance as well. I had a full build thread on bimmerforums but the pictures are lost, thread is still up though.

The process is a bit of a secret but i can say its a hand lay up with a very controlled curing time and temperature to be able to move the carbon in a "green state" or not fully cured state. It took me a long time to learn and perfect etc. I used a similar process when laying down teak floors in yachts etc etc

Anyone have a project Ferrari they want to trade? Looking for very high miles or a damaged 355 car etc, thanks again Ferrarichat Happy Holidays Elliott

10. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    This was right after the cage was installed but the car was yet to be widebody. The strut towers on the e36 tend to crack and before mine did i had them capped while the cage was being installed.

The intake was a custom intake i built but has since been changed for a better improved one that moves more air. You can see in the second picture i was starting to play with wider wheels etc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bertil likes this.
  11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #13 phrogs, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    I have a 98 Euro red with black interior GTS f1 that id like to move.

It needs work and I need money for other cars. I have not had the time to invest in it that I feel the car deserves. I have done a few things it needed but theres more work that could be done.

If you like it I can go over specifics.

To many cars and projects as usual so no trade for me as I have too many cars. It will be reasonably priced I can tell you that.

Clean title in Hand, its no cream puff but its a great driver, That needs some work.

Let me know
    Jp

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  13. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    OP, you'll love a 348 or an F355 coming from an E36. I did just that when I sold my flared E36 and bought a 348.

Attached Files:

Ryan... likes this.
  14. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Hey Jp,

I would be interested in hearing about the car, could you message me the basic details of the car, miles, last major, serious work needed etc?

I have had a few people ask if my car is for sale outright. I may sell and just make it happen that way though i am really trying to find a trade.

Hey Vjlax18,

Yes i think i may enjoy one but the cost is scary and i really do love my car as its very different from most e36 or M3.

I always look at my car as a LTW or even a GTR after the widebody and they are very rare and getting extremely expensive. I worry if i sell it i will never be able to afford one again. I see real LTW at 100k .....

I figure if a decent trade appears that looks fun to rebuild i may consider but certainly in no rush

Thanks gents elliott

15. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Still possibly considering a trade... Thanks Elliott

16. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The BM looks awesome but why make things hard for yourself and insist on a trade?

It would be better putting the niche vehicle on the open market to find a serious buyer and/or selling to the highest bidder, then starting the search for the right 355 which in itself can take months or years. Use that time to build more funds to plough into the right car when it does come up.

Either that or just keep and enjoy the e36 for what it is, looks like a spectacular car with the right wheels & graphics!

17. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    #19 elliott95, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Hey Davsk1,

A few reason why i want to trade and why i just cannot sell outright ever, yes ever...

Main reason i insist on a trade is because my car is very very rare and was hand built. Its not worth the risk of losing the car and possibly not obtaining an F car, if it comes down to that ill just keep mine.

If i sold it outright and didn't acquire a F car i would want mine back of course right?

To get mine back, i would have to literally rebuild this car from scratch, off of a stock 1995 M3.

Not sure if people watch these but even a stock clean e36 M3 is about 10 -15k now even with 100k miles

The cage, very unique, has to be custom made, it was all commissioned at a race shop of my choosing by a gentleman that built world challenge cars. He spent close to a month installing the cage to be exact to a period correct BMW Motorsports cage in excess of 7k with receipts. ,

On top of this the car has a full "Carbon Fiber" widebody. The absolute best kit fit and finish wise and most affordable i could find was from a German company that told me they could produce a kit in full Carbon Fiber made to order but it would up the base cost from 8k to roughly 12k.

So just those three items would cost me close to 30k with the widebody still needing be installed on the car.

Add in all the LTW and GT parts that are literally NLA now from BMW and it would be north of 35k easy, plus Recaro seats, LTW wheels, Carbon fiber trunk, Carbon Fiber door cards, Carbon Fiber bumpers and brackets, custom H and R spacers, custom 3" race exhaust, custom Carbon Fiber intake blah blah probably cost over 40k said and done if the parts could be found

So option one sell to buy F car, its not worth the risk or money to rebuild my car if a Ferrari is not obtained.

So option two if a F car is not obtained after sale, buy a BMW like mine again, easy enough? Not so much, none exist.

Literally never ever seen a car with the BMW Motorsports cage in it for sale for less then about 60k and again that's a old STW race car from europe without the widebody usually a four door never seen a coupe.

So the way i see it, its either this car i have or a F car takes its place. Once i sell this BMW ill never have an option to buy one similar as they just do not exist, it would have to be rebuilt.

I thought to myself one night, the only key i would ever trade my key for would have to have a prancing horse on it and the above explanation gives some reason behind my "trade only"

I think my car is actually that rare.... all a matter of perspective but ive looked long and hard for similar cars and the closet car i have ever seen is at BMW HQ in Germany in a Museum. Its the car pictured above and was an ex Cecotto car, probably will never be sold from BMW private collection and if it was sold i would think it would be in the hundreds of thousands because of the racing provenance

18. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    #20 elliott95, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Now really consider the rarity of my car, even just to rebuild it maybe say 30 - 40k in car and parts cost plus time. Add a certified shop labor, probably now over 50k said and done.

I think its a huge amount of work/time plus about 40k.

How hard is it to find a project Ferrari really? Difficult but since i started looking I've found five worthy 355 cars. Two burn cars, one high miles 60k+ and two almost ready to run just need major service and clutch plus cosmetic things etc.

So the way i see it is actually easier to find a Ferrari 355 that needs work then to find a BMW GTR in this price bracket.

Makes my trade very interesting, possibly one of one, if you want a rare BMW race car and have a old Ferrari that needs a ton of work i think it makes a lot of sense

But again its all perspective..... Anyway that's why i offer mine for trade. I'm looking for a particular buyer that also has a particular love for BMW.

To me they are very similar and just have a different purpose, both rare, both beautiful, both exotic.

I have had mine close to ten years so i figure maybe i try the relaxed spider lifestyle for a bit, that's pretty much my only reasoning behind the trade.... I adore my car and would never trade for anything short of a Ferrari not even for the appropriate amount of cash....

Thanks again, Elliott

[​IMG]

19. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Trade still open, getting very serious and willing to negotiate:

Track ready 1995 E36 M3 GTR or Lightweight Tribute

BMW motorsport cage and full carbon fiber widebody with all the BMW OEM special edition "Lightweight" parts added

Clean title, third owner from new. I believe the motor has 170k miles

I obtained car with 112,000 miles, completely stock and built car over last nine years

Full 3" race exhaust, Custom lexan windows, carbon fiber intake, Recaro seats, Willians Harnesses etc only the best parts used

Looking for 348 or 355 spider, any color, any transmission, any condition

Basically trading a mint track build M3 GTR for a restoration project 348/355

Thank you, Elliott

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think it's time to close this thread

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

21. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's the deal. You know what you have, and BMW E36 M3 enthusiasts know what you have.

You're banking on finding a 348/355 Spyder seller who is also (a) a knowledgeable M3 E36 enthusiast, who (b) is looking to move their car with the express purpose of getting a car such as yours.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find both (a) and (b) within a short frame of time. Even given the passage of years, you're looking for a "unicorn" deal. Think about it...unicorn deals typically cause one party to give away too much money, and that party could well be you in this case.

It makes so much more sense to sell your car for the market value to someone who really desires the one-off vehicle you have created, and then use the cash to buy a stock 348/355 Spyder at market value.

The vehicle you are selling is highly unique. The vehicle you are looking to buy is more plentiful. "Ferrari" has a wonderful brand appeal when you are looking for the first time, but you'll discover, once you have the cash in hand, that a car is suddenly ready for you.

I wish you the best of luck, and I firmly believe your dream is well within reach...so long as you're willing to split the deal into two separate transactions.

22. elliott95

elliott95 Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Paradise
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Desmomini: I agree with you, i think you are correct. I guess i need to post my car for sale and see what the market brings. I was just trying to avoid this but it seems like the only feasible option, like you said "unicorn deal" hahaha

Thanks for the help, i guess ill go for it