Wanted - Ducati 996R or 998R | FerrariChat

Wanted Ducati 996R or 998R

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by sherpa23, Dec 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Hi guys, I know that this is a long shot but figure that this is as good a place as any to find one of these.

It's pretty straightforward. I would like a stock or nearly stock 996R or 998R. Miles are not as important as condition but less than 8k miles or so would be ideal. Please pm me if you have anything or if you know of someone who has one that they would like to sell. Thanks in advance.

Makuono likes this.
  2. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    Great bikes... but, hard to find. Good luck!

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks. They sure are proving to be a little difficult to find. People are throwing me regular 916/996/998 bikes left and right but I don't think that they understand that I'm looking for an R. I already have a 916SPS so the only other Tamburini bikes that I would really want for my collection are the 996R and 998R. Let me know if you see anything!

4. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    For sure. Yes, I have been riding street bikes for 14 years. The "R's" are something special. I would say it's like looking for an F430 Scud but people dishing you "regular" 430's lol

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Keisan would be the guy to know.....Good luck!

6. titus2669

titus2669 Karting

Oct 4, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    Full Name:
    Titus
    I know of a local 996r. I can talk to the owner about a sale but last time i mentioned the possibility of a sale to him he wasnt willing to even entertain an offer.

Sadly i sold my 999r to australia a few yrs ago. Still put around on the 1198sp when the weather is nice. Goodluck with the search, ill keep my ears open.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That would be great if you can. Let me know. I know how you must feel about your 999R. The 999R is really something special. I love my 999R Xerox. It’s unlike any of the other Ducati Superbikes and really has it’s own unique sense of character.

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Not much to add op that you don't already know. Neither model seems to come up for sale with any sort of regularity. The 6R is more rare with 500 units made wordwide. 700 of the 8R were produced.

50 or so of each bike were US models sold for "race use" only with no lights, turn signals, mirrors or warranty.

I'd put more value on a row version that had everything as it was installed at the factory. Beggars can't be choosers though so whichever comes up be ready to pounce. A US version that has been "streetified" in a less than perfect way can almost always be made perfect/factory as long as as nothing was damaged or permanently altered.

A small detail that gets forgotten on some of the US converted bikes are the mirrors. Any 996R/998R intended for the street came with red mirrors from the factory. I've seen the black ones on there or poorly painted black ones. Meh! The factory red versions are still avail (for now) from the dealer for $175 per side. If your parts gal/guy is confused just order the mirrors for a 2002 998S Bostrom.

If we are splitting hairs the motor on the 8R is just that little "feelable" bit more potent and special feeling. I've owned and ridden both models a fair bit. The 8R with its grossly oversquare motor (104mm x 58.8mm vs 6R 98mm x 66mm) and higher comp (12.3 vs 11.5) just barks. Since you already have that motor in your 999R you know what I speak of.

I sent a thread link to a guy with a bonestock 996R with delivery miles. I don't think its for sale but who knows.

In 2002 I sold a euro 998R with 1000 kilometers (all mine smiley face) to a guy in Oregon. It still has 1000 kilos today and is perfect. Its been unridden for 15 years. As far as I know its the lowest mileage one aside from my never started bike. I will pm you contact info but I doubt very seriously if anything comes of it sorry.

Hope you find one. They are the last of the best.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The kiesan has spoken......so let it be written...so let it be done....

Never started......that's "art" baby!!!

I don't want to talk mirrors, Santa brought me a new (to me) tri-color 848 EVO Corsa...it was under the stairs two nights before some hater snapped the LH mirror off, leaving it dangling by the wiring.

Mean people at Christmas REALLY suck!
    LOLOL!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bob Lundsford here in Houston had a 998R come in for service, that was an inheritance.

I think they serviced it, and put it on the road.

I can "inquire" when I am in there for a new mirror!
    :D :D

11. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Its a small world lol. The op already is friends with the guy I know with a 996R.

sent a pm best of luck

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Thanks a ton, Kie. Yeah, not much there I don’t know as you mentioned, however, being the rarified air that collecting these bikes can be, every little bit is worth sharing. I sent you a note.

Yeah, it’s a small world :) for sure. MB bought my 998RS from me.

BT, any help that leads to a good bike in my hands for a reasonable price is excellent help indeed.

A 996R/998R is the last bike I need for the full lineup of the proper homologation Ducati Superbikes (even though I know my Superleggera was too light and too limited for homologation) but I am a patient man. I can wait.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    "A 996R/998R is the last bike I need for the full lineup of the proper homologation Ducati Superbikes (even though I know my Superleggera was too light and too limited for homologation) but I am a patient man. I can wait."

Full line of homologation Ducatis is intriguing. What bikes are they, i f you don't mind me asking.
    Curious: Do you have the 955SP(A)?

Good luck with your search!

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Hi dale. The goal was to have the best model they made of each generation of superbike but I realized that for the 916/996/998 i should have the best 916/996 and then one of the two testastretta homologation models (996R/998R). So that generation needs two as the 916SPS and the 996R have totally different personalities. No 955SP or SPA as I felt the 916SPS is better.

Anyways, I have spent a lot of the year wheeling and dealing and assembling my ducati lineup. All get ridden and so are completely serviced and ready to go at any moment. I have an 888SPO, 916SPS (996 WSBK homologation), 999R Xerox (the last and the best), 1098R, and 1199 Superleggera. All are numbered and limited bikes and they’re awesome to ride and keep.

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I ended up passing on that bike because of all of the mods but that was dumb of me because I have all of the stock parts to put it back to original and it wouldn't have taken much. I thought it was too much for what it was but in reality I should have just paid the money and taken it apart and rebuilt it correctly.

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
  18. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
  19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #19 sherpa23, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    That’s a great pair for sure.

I actually had a lot of Ducati’s before I was able to afford Ferrari’s. I don’t need to bore anyone with all the details but I used to own some special bikes, including a 998RS factory race bike that I used to run at the track. Been a long time getting back here.

20. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The 955SPA might have been low production collectors item, but it ran like crap from the factory. Two of my friends bought them new back in the day. The fueling was way too rich and fouled the surface gap spark plugs when ridden on the street. It was only after they had new chips burned for the injection ecu that the bikes ran halfway decently. Ducati only threw them together to meet the AMA homolgation requirement of 50 bikes. The funny thing is that some of them were not sold in the USA and were re-exported to the UK and Europe even though they were supposed to sell 50 in the USA in order to compete in AMA Superbike.

21. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    Yep to all, except mine runs perfect.....

sherpa23 likes this.
  22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    This might be a shock to some but basically all of the non-compliant homologation bikes were never intended to be good from the get go. The unspoken expectation would be that you would take delivery and some corse mechanic would dial it in for you, including making a new fuel map and sometimes (like in the case with a 748RS or even a 748R) rebuild the motor properly before it got any real use.

23. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Oh man bummer about the ebay 998R in May. That would have been an easy bike to put back to stock.

I remember commenting when raresportbikes blogged it. Its odd to me when sellers/owners of this sort of thing are misinformed about the details of their own stuff.

mini rant. Why are folks compelled to "upgrade" the grips? The stock grips are so nice and designed to fit on the throttle tube a certain way. The globby things folks put on never look or feel right. Although now looking again that bike has different bar-end pieces as well. Maybe this bike has a story or 2 to tell.

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/radical-2002-ducati-998r/

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Ugh!!! That's frustrating. I've done that before, but not a purchase that big or awesome. After my mistake, I realized if I can afford it and have the space I'll just get it and keep an eye out for a better one. I've made tons of purchases since because of that and never regretted it once.

Hope you find your holy grail in 2018. Have a happy New year everyone!

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    If I remember right, this bike had completely different handlebars and the owner tried to make it into something it isn’t: a comfort bike. Possibly more to the story which is what gave me pause but in the end there probably wasn’t anything there that was bad or unusual. I should I have bought it.