Fisker Karma part 2? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fisker Karma part 2?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by koisokok, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    They do have a contentious history....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    james, did you move forward?

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Not yet Ross.....I'm still suffering from 'range anxiety' (for any ev/hev).....I transit the PNW I-5 corridor a couple of x per year....the Supercharger points are over 200 miles apart, and I haven't gotten past the sub 10 mins to gas up vs the 20-30 mins to charge up (given typical wait times....) So far I've just contacted a Pcar dealer about deposit on a mission-e......that effectively puts off my decision for a bit :cool: BUT: I bought and am installing a Chargepointe 32V on my new guest house......so I am moving, haltingly, in the right direction......I will do something as an intro/stopgap.....

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the karma has no range restriction......

i drove from houston to forth worth and back in the same day without charging - thats nearly 600 miles. i drove roughly 50 of that on pure electric mode, and the rest in hybrid mode, averaged about 90 mph on the return leg, and still managed about 30 mpg overall. AND i was the best looking car on the road !

if you get a fisker, keep the 520 operating system, add the Powersource TOM20, add the bigger 650A fuse, and presto, you can charge WHILE DRIVING. (which btw is what fisker originally designed but was stopped by the government from doing).

seriously, there is no need for range anxiety with a fisker karma. (lots of other anxieties to get over, but range is not one of them)

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    You seem to be saying there is NO need to charge enroute? All the recharging is performed by the (ICE?) while driving? So the only stop is for gas for the ICE?
    Yes, definitely the best looking! Check out the one I found in Cali...... https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2012-fisker-karma/6375418085.html
    The perfect color combo for me......

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes james. in the set up that i described, you do not need to stop to charge the car. you simply proceed in hybrid mode, and let the ice engine charge the battery.

once you get to your ultimate destination you can plug in again of course, but on the road there is no need, you simply run in hybrid mode, or hybrid mode with regen.

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    james, the car you linked is my favorite color combo. shadow (like mine) exterior, and canyon interior (mine is monsoon but i prefer canyon).
    that price is about right for a car that may need a battery module replacement - like mine. it is not imperative to do so, but if you do want the full charge etc it will cost you about 3k to get it done.
    anyway, one of the top fisker techs is in san francisco, and so is powersource. basically la and sf are karma central, you will have no problems finding help.
    read this
    http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/4473-fisker-karma-buyers-checklist.html

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #59 ross, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    james. do the following. go to a Karma dealer near you. drive the Revero. try to resist their attempts to sell you one.
    but more/less the Revero is exactly the same car, with slightly better driver interface, and slightly better ciu and battery management - which can all be rectified with the TOM module.
    in this way, you will get a drive in basically the same car with a guy who can answer all your questions. do not tell the karma boys that you are looking at a fisker.
    then go drive the craigslist car. you will end up knowing what it should feel like, and then you will drive away with the same car for 100k less than a revero.

keep in mind that despite the looks, the karma is NOT a sports car. it wont handle like a mercedes, it wont accelerate like a bmw, and it does not have all the wizz bang features you might be used to. it is a triumph for design over function. it does just fine as a daily commuter, and it looks like a supermodel at a nun convention - you will spend 20 minutes a day explaining to people what you are driving.

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    How about a different fisker, next Tuesday, in Seattle. Don't like the color, so will be able to resist their blandishments...
    I typically drive a 22 yr old Land Rover; an Audi S4 Avant, and an F350 crewcab if necessary...have an R8 for the sports car needs.....I'm hoping the fisker will make a good cruiser....
    Also, as part of our local sustainable building initiative, I just got 'elected' president of the local EV Club.......which has one member to date......o_O so I now need to set a good example.....

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well if you get the fisker, you will be doing it in style !

the only risk with having your first drive in a fisker is if it is ailing.
    but, prior to next tuesday, read what you can in fiskerbuzz so that you are prepared and know what you are looking at.
    also look at the driving sticky in fiskerbuzz so that you know how to drive it effectively - ie it is not necessarily always best driven just by pressing drive on the prindle. also look at the videos on youtube on the subject.

you can call me too if you like.

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    james, let me know what the last 4 of the vin are when you can. i can give you an idea what to ask about. also take an obd with you and note the codes that come up.

13. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    You mean THE Tramonto...if I’m not mistaken only one was built.

14. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
  15. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Great looking car - thought there was only one of each (Tramonto and Latino). I know the Latino owner has as Karma.

16. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I almost bought the only Latigo years ago. It would have been nice to own the two number 1's. I am a Fisker fan. I have the Tramonto, a Z8 and an Aston Virage. I have met him a few times. He is very interesting.

Joe

17. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I think you both did a photo shoot together right?

Yes - I almost bought the car as well when I saw it on ebay years ago.

18. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    It was not me.
    Joe

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    glad to see there are other fisker fans out there ! nice car!

20. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Thank you!

Joe

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Turned out to be a complete CF; car was 'not available'?? when I arrived, could not be found? tried to sell me Tesla instead!!!!
    Then again, it was PP, so I should have expected this......:rolleyes: meryxmas.......

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats unfortunate !

i now have my father interested in buying one too !

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    how is the search going james?

24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Trying to get PP to take 'mello yello' Image Unavailable, Please Login as a trade-in......no juice so far......:)
    there were 2 others in the pnw; both now shifted to socal due to lack of interest here.......still thinking......no hurry; they will just get cheaper......

25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James