991 GT3 vs. RS? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

991 GT3 vs. RS?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Dec 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm a manual snob, but I like the PDK for the GT3 and how I use it. Around town, hard hard driving rallies, and hard hard track driving. Especially rallies and the track no one else knows or cares your car is manual or PDK, the PDK simply performs better and less chance of mistakes (some costly). If I lived in the mountains and most of my spirited driving was out by myself, then I would probably prefer the purity of manual driving experience.

FYI the PDK in GT3 > 2017 Ferrari Cali T F1. Only thing I don't care for is the small paddles and short distance between wheel and paddles (wearing racing gloves).

slm and galt like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

I have a gt3.2 allocation for September. Not sure if I’m gonna keep it. I don’t have garage space- well I kinda do but I need to sell my rover daily driver and use the gt3 manual as a daily. Will figure it out in the summer.

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I haven't gotten the chance to try the gt3 out yet but I did drive a Carrera S 991.1 with pdk and even that was really impressive in my opinion. Shifting was veey responsive as you would expect. What surprised me is how downright telepathic the auto mode felt. It just knew what gear to be in despite transitioning freqiently from one level if aggressiveness to another.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    let me know if you give this up. :) I will be jonsing for a new car by then. Especially if I can spec it. :)

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have half a dozen friends who have said the same thing to me. :)

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    one needs to look past the label ( model designation ) all GT ( 1,2,3,4 ) designated cars are built to a racing rule so that cars from other makes can compete on a level basis like Ford GT3, Camero GT3, (911 GT3) etc. One need to look at content for comparisons. A GT3 car cannot change content not approved by the class ( if wants to race in class )... the RS content is not limited by racing rules so there is flexibility in specifying content to suit ones needs

7. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State

Its a turbo but here is your car....

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2018-porsche-911-carrera-t-gets-good-stuff-goes-diet

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Interesting, but as far as I can tell it is just a base 911. Not much lighter than a C2. I would also love to have a truely lightweight 911 with a punchy engine, but not sure this fits the bill. I talked to my Porsche sales associate yesterday. Porsche came out with this to be an entry-level R type. Even the Porsche sales guys are scratching their head on this one. Also, it's going to be a limited run. I want to like it and would like to have one, just trying to figure out if it really would be what one would want. Probably need to start another thread on this as opposed to hijacking the present thread.

GuyIncognito and galt like this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Add this version to the other 35 911's. I cant keep track anymore.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have an allocation for a GT3 that i need to configure now .. I wanted a 911R but of course did not get one and dont want to pay the premium .. I plan to order a manual touring packge car..... am dealing with what options to get manual of course but i am told they will do the plaid seats as an custom option .. and of course the color i had originally planned on red with the black package (black trim).....but if i can go with the plaid maybe i should go with gt silver or black....do not want white....

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    As others already mentioned, GT3 will give you more pleasure and satisfaction on a daily basis, performance advantage of RS is negligible everywhere except a race track but the first one will be always more "friendly' to the owner/driver.
    Also. that humongous wing in the RS really looks silly when driving on the street.
    On another note, the availability of manual (for those that like it) makes it even more irresistible.
    I have a GT2RS on order and would sell my left nut to be able to order it with manual and no wing but I don't have that option available to me.

12. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    This shop http://www.teambgb.com/Default.asp converted a 991 GT3 RS to manual. Only one in the world I believe. They used a 991R transmission.

They probably don't want your left nut, just $40-$50k.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Have a GT3 Touring package in production right now. Should arrive in my hands in 6 - 8 weeks according to dealer.

I'll let you know how it compares with my Special once I've broken it in a little.

Can't wait!

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1!!!!!

Absent, please swap in a new GT3 6-speed manual. You can easily take off the GT2 wing yourself like the GT3 RS owners do and keeep the fixed ducktail look. That looks a lot better than the salad bar rear wing imo and is just as functional on the street. Install it when/if you track it.

15. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Steve, what seats did you have in the GT3 and RS? I was wondering if that had a role to play in the additional harshness in the RS. The 21" rear wheel is also probably responsible.

16. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Both cars had the 18-way seats (which is my favorite all around seat compared to the LWBs). The RS is set up to be an even more extreme track weapon than the GT3. The 21s probably contribute, but I think the difference is in the overall set up. I know some have felt the RS is fine in its set-up - which I think is great for them. It's unfortunate, as I really wanted to like the car. My wife has never complained about the cars before. She had enjoyed the Challenge Stradale and CLK Black Series, both of which are pretty stiff cars. She was not a fan of the RS. I guess this was a good thing as she encourage me to trade and get the F12! :oops:

speedy_sam likes this.