488 GTO ? | Page 40 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Again, true. But, IMHO, the 488 is a fail from the 458. So, perhaps if Pininfarnia was involved, the outcome would have been different (and better?)

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Hope so, the J50 is simply perfect, imo by far the most beautiful car currently!

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #978 SoCal to az, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    And there are those of us who find the 488 superior.

Zinger, jumpinjohn and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    As a good friend says to me "Basket Robins makes 31 flavors of Ice Cream for a reason" ;)

Bhh and xfrgtr like this.
  5. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Very true, Dave. There is no correct answer when it comes to person taste. Hey, you and I both love he 355. No debate there.

7. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I see from your pofile you have a 599. Yep, that is Pininfarina perfection ;)

xfrgtr likes this.
  10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Does anyone know the exact date of the dealer reveal ?

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I hope so too

12. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    All I know is mid-Jan didn't ask for detail as I've no interest in buying the car.

Shack likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    This pininfarina argument is so facile. Pininfarina have designed some beautiful cars. But then so have many other design houses. Pininfarina didn’t even design the best Ferrari - the GTO, in fact no designer did, the panel-beater chap did it! Then there’s the fact that staff move between all the design houses and the manufacturers. And finally last but not least, the designer designs to a brief laid down by the manufacturer.

For instance, did you know that pininfarina’s original idea for the 458 had exterior vents on top of the three-quarter panel like the 430 (oh, yes, and PF did the 430 - a much weaker development of the 360 than the 488 has been of the 458 IMO) but it was LdM who said “no, a Ferrari should have less visible aero-addenda if it is possible - go back and get rid of the vents”. That led to the unique and beautiful side-profile on the 458. Without LdM the 458 would look very different indeed.

You could of course say, “ahh yes, but in the 488 the Ferrari design studio put the vents back...”. To that I would say, LdM was not against vents per se, but philosophically against accepting high performance as an excuse for bad aesthetics. If you can get away without a vent, no vent, if you need a vent put some effort into making it a nice vent (and the 488, which needs a big vent, has had a much nicer job done on it than the 430 I owned, where the larger engine filled out the rear and the vents were seemingly plonked on top).

Wonder what LdM thinks of the Senna....

14. TJF

TJF Karting

Aug 27, 2011
    California
    In my opinion Ferrari is slipping behind. I'm on the list for the 488 GTO and hope it does not fail to deliver!!!, otherwise I'm moving to McLaren or Porsche for my next car.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m curious to hear why you feel they are slipping behind. Not taking issue, you’re certainly entitled to prefer other brands over Ferrari, but I’m interested in hearing what has put you off.

JagShergill likes this.
  16. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    #991 galt, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    I am not so sure about the Tesla roadster. In a straight line sure it is fast. But for many buying small sports cars turning and braking matter alot or even more then straight line acceleration. For example, a Dodge demon is fast going straight but I doubt the 488/McLaren/Porsche customer is cross shopping that car.

Noee specifically, my main concern with the roadster is it has double the size battery pack of the p100d as far as I understand--please correct me if that is wrong. If you start doing the math on what it will weigh it is going to be awfully heavy! So while the acceleration numbers are inpressive, not sure how it is going to brake and turn at that weight.

Further, I think we are getting to the point where cars are just almost too fast and people are starting to increasingly value how the car "feels" to drive (911r for example).

There is a decent chance batteries will be much lighter in two years but the prototype car probably has the current battery packs I would think. Also Tesla sort of played the game of saying there sedan was faster than a 458 (or other sports cars.) That is pretty disingenuous in the sense "performance" encompasses alot more than 0-60.

I think electric cars outperfoming in braking and turning is inevitabe. Seems it is simply a function of battery technology. Once the batteries weigh a lot less look out. There will still be aspects of a petrol car that will be hard to replicate in an electric car though.performance is not one of them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
  18. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    No argument on all of the above - This might be like the digital vs mechanical watch scenario of a few (many) years back. I have zero vested interest but I can say that as soon as an EV hypercar arrives (Rimac / Tesla Roadster etc) I will take a good look at it.

For now I want a 488SV - BADLY

JagShergill likes this.
  19. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Agree

Afonsolaw likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Obviously taste is a personal matter, but other than the side air intakes I find the 488 much more pleasing aesthetically. Especially the front end is so much more aggressive and resolved at the same time.

stavura likes this.
  21. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    19th January for America

jo_ker likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I heard 18th of January for France (most probably the same for several European countries).

jo_ker likes this.
  23. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Great - so we will know more after that :)

24. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Not sure what you mean by "on the list". Not sure what that means. Did you leave a deposit for a car not yet officially announced or seen. Not sure which dealer would do such a thing.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The real history of Enzo is the engine - pure and simple. The only part of the car where the metal comes to life. They are the masters and left the body to designers. Two different universes that belong in two different ones IMHO. And outside of the small influence of PF in the LaF (do the real research) I would be "nuts". :)

nkhalid likes this.