1978 400A 25043 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1978 400A 25043

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by D.J, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Ha, surprised me too , they ha the code in their system

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've got an even bigger surprise! While testing to track down the rough running (so far eliminated dinoplex and coil), the car snuffed in my driveway, half on the street. Went to start it and snapped off the key, with the car stuck in ign. Ho, ho, ho! Now I'm really going to have to get serious about sorting out the keys...

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Almost similar happened to me on the miniG early this year.
    I was very gentle with it and got it,the Crab,back to Gizz's shop after the event and Marc had a new blank in stock,sent it to Gizz,it's home away from home,he got it cut and all sorted.
    Marc 0417776216. :)

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm afraid it won't make it to Marc's. ITMT I'll call a local locksmith and see if he can cut a couple from the codes. Only a 5 min job to take the switch off the back of the lock. I've left the key stub in there for the steering lock.

5. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Il Tifoso, rusty69911 and Al Campbell like this.
  6. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    any progress?

7. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Not much really Russ emptying the stinky fuel tanks and pulled plugs and pit some inox to soak in the barrels. Need to get my 36mm socket machined down to turn over crank
    Good news is that ignition lock and keys sorted ne9a and bw3 blanks available cheap.
    Still have to finish building a 54 triumph before I get into the 400 seriously though

DJ

8. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    rusty69911 and Il Tifoso like this.
  9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Get that F*@KING foot off the bumper! :eek:

Seriously cool pic though... how did you come across it?

Cheers,

Ruben

10. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    wda24729 likes this.
  11. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Anyone know where this one was taken? ^^^^^^

12. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    It ain't NYC!

13. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
  14. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Nice car and pictures. As an Private Eye he will surely blend into the surroundings in this inconspicuous car :cool:

15. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    That wasn't his style by all accounts.

16. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Kind of like another famous TV private eye who drove around in a red F car

D.J likes this.
  17. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    OK, not a big update but one never the less. after a month with inox soaking into the bores, a couple of squirts of oil in the bores and the mech boys at work machining down a 36mm socket to fit the crank bolt, I was able to turn it over quite easily about 20 times. I put the bore scope into the bore and everything looked good so I wanted to see if she cranked over with the ignition key which worked nicely with a bit of the normal sing from the starter motor.
    Next step is the fuel system, I'll put kits in the carbs and buy a couple of fuel pumps and clear the old fuel out.

The timing chain adjuster is all the way in so will have the pull the engine out anyway but would like to get it running before the restoration starts in earnest.

rusty69911 and Jasonberkeley like this.
  18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Be very careful of the fuel supply line (rubber hose) that goes from the pumps thru the rocker panels then up to the engine compartment.

D.J likes this.
  19. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Will do cheers.

20. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Have found out that the car was not delivered to the UK but rather picked up from Italy by the first owner who was a West Australian and delivered to Perth, amazing that after going around the world (sort of) it ends up back in Perth. ( I think sales tax might have been silly at the time.)
    After contacting the original owner he sent me a photo of a photo he's had on his wall since the car was new. It's good fun tracing the history on this car.
    Thanks Dave Ramm for the extra info to piece it together.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    wow kool and kind of bizzare at the same time

D.J likes this.
  22. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    A Minor update after a couple of slow years, both fuel pumps have ben replaced and all of the fuel lines replaced including the one that ran inside the inner sill. ( that was stressful) Relying on my lock wired barb to hold the new line to the old but it went through quite easily.
    I have sent the front shocks to Smooth Suspension in Melbourne as they seem to be the only people in Australia that rebuild Koni shocks.

All carbs have been rebuilt and was pleasantly surprised that the engine fired and ran nicely after some tuning but that's it until The timing chain is changed.

The brake lines were all purchasing and I am in the process of replacing those, what a pain to get at to install. The brake caliper seal kits have arrived and will be going to a reputable company here in Perth for a full overhaul (Big thanks to the guys that did the hard work on working out that they are the same as some BMW gear).

I have also worked out who will be dong the metal repair in Perth which consists of the RH outer sill, front and rear windscreen surround.

Hopefully the progress will speed up as I have stopped the motorcycle restorations to focus on the car.

Al Campbell and Ak Jim like this.