2 year old "new" timing belts okay? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2 year old "new" timing belts okay?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ghostdiver, Dec 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    After talking with Dayco, the place I bought the belts from (very well known parts supplier on this board), and several comments from those on this thread, that's the direction I'm going.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I have seen two people break them with their engines. One is a member here.

On his way to church of all places. (not kidding)

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Do the Porsche guys have belt debates like us ?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    No, they argue about water vs air cooled. ;)

LARRYH likes this.
  5. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    Do you know from what rubber the belts are made? There is a mil spec that gives estimated shelf life based on the the type of rubber. The Dayco estimate may be conservative compared to the mil spec.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How long have they been sitting on someone's shelf before they were sent to you?

I wouldn't have a problem. I agree the clock starts when the motor goes around the first time.

BTW: 2 year old timing belts are OK but 2 years and one month... suspicious! :)

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I have always found its not the belts that let go regardless of age, as they are kevlar reinforced so even when the rubber begins to degrade they are pretty sound, its the lack of tension or over tension caused by other components in the drivetrain that take the belts beyond their limits, strips teeth, which then causes the subsequent damage.

One example is a fire damaged Ferrari engine I viewed first hand, everything rubber and plastic burned away totally at the front, and the belts still held everything tight just with the kevlar strands remaining in the end, obviously the engine was not running by that stage.

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    From what I could find out, the rubber is a special compound with a secret recipe doing back the Roman empire days...kinda like the recipe for KFC or Bush's Baked Beans....nobody knows exactly.

Cgk360 likes this.
  9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Two things.
    1. Rotating stock means that you are getting the oldest ones they have. Not a problem if less than ~7 years as mentioned in thread.
    2. 14K for an annual service with cam belts is a ridiculous number. You should go punch the donkey that quoted you in the throat! One thing that is good though about that is now you know how that dealer sees you and you were measured as a punk to them so consider yourself lucky that they were transparent with their views towards you. That kind of number is what you would expect to pay for an annual service (ALL car fluids/filters) with new belts and bearings, CAM seals, new clutch, new brakes and new tires! at an authorized DEALER!

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Ferrari should yank that dealers "authorization" for attempting to rob clients.

11. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Agreed about the dealer in question and that is why I don't bring my car to them. Still waiting on explanation on what is included in the 14k service.....

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Unfortunately, the dealer in question isn’t alone. This practice is what keeps many from enjoying these fantastic cars.

13. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
  14. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Belt failure's are almost never the catalyst of a major "interference incident" Incorrect tension, loose pulley fences or bad idler bearings can all cause belt failure. Belts on Japanese cars last 100,000 miles with seldom a failure. Failure shortly after replacement is a sure sign of error by the technician doing the work. Us 345/355 owners get to have a good look at the whole cam drivetrain every 5 years or so. This is how "preventative maintenance" by someone knowledgeable will thwart the "Cam belt Demons" by inspecting and maintaining the engine before something breaks.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No, not 14k. He used the word "or" not "and".

14k or 4k

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He waited 10 years then decided to question?

17. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Sorry for the abbreviated background story. The car was parked for a long while and the belt was sitting on the shelf the same duration. So, the question was quite relevant when finally ready to mount the belt. Use the belt or buy a new one and toss the unused belt?

18. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gotcha

Well, for peace of mind, toss it and buy a new one.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The last major I did on the Stradale cost me ~$900 in parts. The actual belt service took a friend and I about 5 hours and we talked for 3. The US customers get bent over on service costs.

20. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    After reading this, here are my 2 cents: arguing about the suitability of questionably aged belts vs. the cost of new vs. risk of engine failure from questionably aged belts points to just buy new and toss the old ones.

21. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I understand completely but also know that these belts were purchased new from one of the major Ferrari parts suppliers. From my discussions with him, I gathered that all the belts in inventory for the 360 were of the same age. Dayco may be producing newer belts but they show no part number in their catalog.