Is this the standard of Concourses in the future??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is this the standard of Concourses in the future???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Horse, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I'll back Mike, he has the numbers ................... if he's wrong he's off the xmas card list :p

2. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How sad.

Question is, will there be any in the future?

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I think Greg just called me a dickhead.

But it's OK, I get that a lot :(

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    No, you're more of a **** :p

5. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    NSW event this year, according to concourse book handed out at XMAS party, 94 cars attended event, 24 judged, 70 on display.

6. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Only 3 carb cars at the Qld Concours this year.
    I doubt if they will be back.
    Sad indeed, A, not to see them ever out of the garage, and B, sad that the newer members will only ever see injected flappy paddle examples and look towards glossy books for the only reference available.

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Luckily there are still some of us here who like/have the curves,chrome and carby cars.

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    2/3 ain't bad for you :D

9. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I've been hearing from many Qld members, that they are very unhappy with the Concours this year, both in QLD and the national rally. Aside from the Judging format, the main thing I'm hearing is mainly complaining about inconsistent judging, and not enough knowledge regarding the older cars. I'm going to try and hold some sort of 'round table' with the members up here, to get a definitive list of complaints, and then try to sort something out. I'll speak to Frank, and Graham in due course regarding our members grievances, and go from there. I suppose for everyone on here, you could start to actually list what it is you dislike about the current (new) system? Aside from mistakes like the one on this thread, because mistakes do and will happen.

freaky1 and MAD828 like this.
  10. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Thanks Gezim, a constructive initiative.

WM

11. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I caution you about doing this via a public forum like fchat. Being unhappy with the system because your pride and joy didn't win a trophy is not a good argument. It's important to get both sides of the story before we go back to giving trophies to replica F40's :)

MAD828 and greg246 like this.
  12. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    As one of the golden oldies who tried and tried and tried to get the current system trialled in Australia I would have to say most of the resistance came from Qld. The current system judges the car against itself.

It should not produce a high scoring car down to a low scoring car. Doesn't anyone other than me remember the trepidation when the sort button was pressed on the Excel spreadsheet to see who 'won'. Sometimes in a 450 point tope end, by only a point or so - was THAT fair??

The new system starts at a 100 points and points are lost for incorrect details, even half points. The object is to reward originality and the designer of this system, Ed Gilbertson, said to me many a time - 'Ferraris are meant to be driven'. Very few points are lost that would have been lost in the old system under 'Cleanliness & Condition'.

I have seen some ugly older cars in Australia, 308's, 355s and even 360's nowadays. Pride in a car is not polishing to the nth degree it's keeping the car original and considering WHY Ferrari put such and such a widget on the car.

The trophy shown is a PRIME example as to why, in Canberra, we only ever gave out the plaques to be stuck on the trophies. A simple fix if a stuff up is made.

Aircon likes this.
  13. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I’m just trying to pin down EXACTLY what people are unhappy about. I hear a lot of ‘I’m never bring my car again’ or ‘this new system is no good’ etc. etc.
    I for one agree with the new system, and judging a car on a points based system and not against other cars. BUT, if people are THAT upset about it, and are not going to bring their cars, and sorry Ian, but in QLD at least, we are getting less and less cars, it’s my job to keep concours alive up here. So I thought I’d just open with finding out the ACTUAL problems people have with it. Please feel free to message me privately or email me. My email is
    [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freaky1 likes this.
  14. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi Phil, my complaint is about the advice given to my brother by the chief judge that he should re-trim his entire car, redo all the chrome, glass etc etc etc because the car was repainted in 1985 and therefore it is not original so there is no point saving the totally original 38,000 mile interior or any thing else original on the car.

This is beyond belief to me.

Following this advise would lead to there being no original cars, so how can you award point for originality?????

At a Concourse you will end up with a park full of “Ralphed” Dino’s all with new leather trim (no one will use vinyl), new chrome, new glass new everything and no one will have a clue how they actually used to look.

My comments have nothing to do with winning or losing KIAI!

In the old days you would receive your judging sheets afterwards and you could concentrate on where the car was let down - this doesn’t happen any more.

Your only weapon to do better in a concourse with an old car now is a cheque book!

I don’t think Horse would like to be entered in one of these new concourse events, he would probably get called a GTB.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gizzi likes this.
  15. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    So why is everyone up tight?
    Just throw out concourse all together, have best car by public and best car by entrants/ FCA members with no rules. Purely discretion. Disregard the public choice because we all know the public are uneducated and besides which they select politicians. Then disregard the entrants/ FCA members choice because we all know they are biased and contriving. Everyone is happy, they participated and didn't lose. The public got a show, we got to compare the length of our .... knowledge or chequebook. The world is a great place.

16. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's my take on concourso here in QLD and why I will NEVER put my car up to be judged :

1. I was asked to have my car judged so that the racing and modified category could be created
    2. 5 cars were in that group - 355CH, 2x tracked 308 GTBs, 1 308GT4 and one fake F40
    3. My car was unfairly judged (I still have the sheets with some major discrepancies in the scoring)
    4. My car, while not highly polished , was not prepared or had the books and tools present (as I originally had no intention of entering)

So in the end , a fully original challenge car (which no-one in QLD would know what is original or not) with matching numbers (I have that checked by a couple of brokers) that had the toolkit and books which one of the judges had seen and signed but were not present, gets beaten by 2 ratty racing 308s, one rebuilt GT4 with racing everything in it and a replica F40 :rolleyes:

And Gleggy was wondering why I laughed my head off when the trophy was handed out o_O

I could care less about stupid concourso trophies but there has to be some respectability to it

I still remember Canberra '07 rally where Scott bought his cars and was very upset about how his 308 was judged, and anyone who has seen his car would know why !!!

He personally polished his cam covers until they shined and then he is told "that is not how they came from the factory" ........... so the lesson is to just use a high pressure hose to clean the car, polish it, WD40 the engine and tyres and collect a trophy :cool:

FFS, I just drive the car !!

Spent a fortune last week getting the ECU dudes to fix the low speed misfiring and then took it for a 300+ km drive for a coffee at Stanthorpe :)

Trophies ??? I don't need no steenkin trophies :p

greg246 and maurice70 like this.
  17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    and my comment was nothing to do with Peter's car, rather from a QLD entrant in Melbourne who wasn't happy when several obvious and incorrect aspects of their "original" car were pointed out, and whom I suspect might be involved in the complaints now.

18. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Typical QLD KKs. **** it must be boring living in that ****hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moretti likes this.
  19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why does anyone bother? It's bad enough when a trophy is awarded and accepted due to an obviously mistimed lap, but the mistakes made by judges at a concours are beyond a joke, and why anyone would subject themselves to that I have no idea. It's sucks the enjoyment right out of Ferrari ownership.

moretti, greg246 and freaky1 like this.
  20. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Any club, I thought, was for the benefit of the members, not to just to the tow line, or be a "pocket of resistance" against a big stick wielding corp.

The old system was far from perfect but the new one is far from perfect as well, the only thing that has changed is unhappy members.
    The easiest way to win, it seems, is buy a new car on the Friday, truck it to the concourse with your luggage and Classiche certificate, wait till xmas and go home a winner.
    If people are upset Gizzi is right, find out why. Fix it as best you can, for ................the members.
    You can blow wind up every bodies arse, but the numbers don't lie. The older cars are staying at home and everybody loses. There were three carb cars at the last Qld event.
    I had the impression that the event was to maintain the breed, and help members, especially the new ones, to get an education up close about the car they own and others around them.
    When people are openly offended, the results are easy to see. This cannot be good for the club, or to date me - the Australian Ferrari Register.
    Many times new people have come up to me after the results have been announced - on the day, and asked to go through their score sheets to find out how they can they improve next time.
    When explained that its not just polishing contest, or the ability to stick a high pressure hose into the engine bay and blow everything to bits the fog clears and most, not all, but most are grateful.
    Its not a case of whinging Queenslanders.

I was far from happy john that a trophy that I spent days preparing and manufacturing was handed out for a replica.
    That decision had nothing to do with me.
    I was just as stunned as many others were at the time.

Gizzi likes this.
  21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Your trophies were a work of art Murray and well worth winning

kerrari likes this.
  22. Horse