Idle unstable and explosions | FerrariChat

Idle unstable and explosions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialqves, Nov 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Hi All again from Spain,
    Wondering if anyone can help.
    After some weeks, today I fired up my qv and I found that the idle is funny going up and down, unstable. Then when hot, I accelerate and many explosions occur....
    Can anyone help please?

2. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    hello, i had the same problems and we found out that one of the coils was overheated and the distributor cab was worn out
    My car had the same symptoms, so now I am going to change the both coils, distributors, cables and sparkplugs.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    With the engine cold, put your hands on both coil bodies. Start the car up and keep checking the temperature of the coils to see if 1 gets warmer than the other. The one that is getting hot will be breaking down and giving you a misfire , rough tickover.
    Also check the condition of the 2 distributor rotor arms, the ht plug leads, extenders etc.
    Good idea to put some fuel treatment like redex in the tank once a year

4. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Would you say its a fuel issue or an electrical one?

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Sounds more like a electrical misfire. Generally if the coil is cold from start it will run ok, mine would go 5 kms then start poping and banging as 1 coil got warm.
    If it is misfiring from when you start from cold, i would have a look at the rotor arms for cracks or carbon. Also plug leads

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can also get backfiring from a lean condition. Warm the car up, take off the air filter housing, rev the engine up to 3,000 RPM, then press down slightly on the air vane. If the revs go up, you've got a lean condition. Causes could be an air leak, or clogged WUR, etc.

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi There, you need to get a timing light and see which bank is misfiring. it's probably the connectors to your crank sensors. Just clean reconnect, job done....or replace them.
    All the best Bell

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I will try this with my problem. Thanks!