Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    No it doesn't. The Roadsters stats are based on their current battery technology.

2. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You might want to re-check where you get your info from. Chinese is a big buyer of lithium but not a big producer. They buy it from Australia. South and North America also have large supplies of lithium. Nevada and Quebec to name a few.

3. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Yes, Tesla's Gigafactory is the biggest reason why there is no competition coming for EV's. There isn't enough battery production in the world to supply all the automakers with large quantities of batteries for their EV plans. The GF not only provides the supply for EV's but due to it's size it cuts the costs of batteries a further 35%. Without a GF, nobody will be able to even produce batteries to compete.

4. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Recheck that Germany story, it's untrue. Read Tesla's response. Not sure what you are referring to in CA. HK tiny market vs. mainland China which is mandating EV's. US EV plan already in effect and not being repealed. Stock is fine.

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    https://static2-seekingalpha-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/static2.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2017/4/25/241014-14931674447253053_origin.jpg

Can just substitute China, Australia, Chile, aka foreign lithium. Point was the lithium was from foreign sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    This is the lamest argument I've heard. First of all, lithium makes up less than 5% of a lithium ion battery pack. Second of all and more importantly, you put the lithium in the battery pack ONE time. It doesn't get used up like gasoline. No such thing as stopping by the station to fill up on more lithium.

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

Amazon is in its own manor way over priced as well but not as highly leveraged as Tesla. Also Amazon could have better earnings/profitability by changing capital decisions to purchase new facilities or other companies and/or grow slower. Tesla really can't be considered in the same class as Amazon, in that Tesla could not easily or quickly improve their earnings, profitability or leverage by changing much currently.

That said, I don't own either stock and would not consider buying either until there are some significant adjustment in the market price, earnings and financials. Never owned Apple either when the price was way out of reason, purchased it when its basic financials and pricing made sense and got it at around $78-$90 five years ago. Tesla is currently a speculation not an investment not to say that speculation is bad as all companies at some point were speculations but don't compare it to Amazon which is simply overpriced IMO.

Tesla MAY at some point become a good or great company or go BK in the process. Folks like yourself who have invested in the speculation will reap the rewards or failures but just don't look at everything Tesla as far better than all else in the market. There are currently just so many very good alternatives in ICE vehicles and other strong auto manufactures are likely to have very good EV and hybrids near the future. I personally think Honda's hydrogen vehicle seems to be superior science to either EV or hybrids but the car going nowhere sales wise so may be gone in short term?

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the chance of you getting mogas made with foreign oil these days does depend on where you are, but it is pretty slim.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    btw, i dont know if the prius or tesla work like this, but one of the things i love about the fisker is the smooth ride. there are no gears, no transmission, just a steady relentless pull, like a magic carpet ride. of course the roads in houston are so bloody awful that i dont often experience the full effect of this smoothness ! but when i do .....beautiful !

10. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla is in the EXACT same boat as Amazon in terms of determining whether they lose money now or not. They are CHOOSING to spend LOTS of money on Superchargers, service centers R&D, etc. They were floored when they got 400,000 reservations for Model 3 in the first week and they sped up their spending plan. As such, willing to post losses now to start getting massive cashflows next year and then turning profitable.

I'm not sure why anyone would NOT invest in Elon Musk. He is already the most accomplished business leader in the history of the world. Who else has a similar resume by their mid 40's?

1 - Age 28 sells Zip2 to Compaq for $340M
    2 - Age 32 sells PayPal to Ebay for $1.5B
    3 - 2003 start SpaceX with no aerospace experience and becomes the leading aerospace company in the world. And he has no real competition
    4 - 2004 starts the first new successful car company since the 1920's in the USA. Now the most expensive automaker in America. (fluctuates with GM currently)
    5 - 2006 founds Solar City and sells it in 2017 for $3B
    6 -, Invents Hyperloop and gives it away because he is too busy with SpaceX and Tesla. Hyperloop One currently valued over $100M

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Jerry- I must respectfully disagree, have you ever thought that you are just too blinded by your infatuation with Elon Musk to see the reality of the total situation. You fail to see any other side of any of your issues. Elon’s whole group of businesses is cross collateralized such that the failure of one could bring them all down. I can say no more other that you are sooooo wrong on so many points.

Perhaps you are the only one on this thread who sees the “real truth” and everyone else is closed minded defending myopic positions. Good luck with your interests/investment (?) I hope you have not bet the entire ranch on him in case all does not go as you have prophesied.

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    You brought up “foreign” oil not me.

No lithium no ev, quite simple.

Am I lame or a “retard.”

I happen to own 3 ev’s and seen their benefits and shortcomings over 5 years of ownership of various brands.

Btw who’s arguing?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Tesla is like that, it is just one linear constant pull all torque available from 0 mph.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Basically any ev is like that. Bigger higher torque motors like tesla are more impressive.

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You couldn't be further from the truth. SpaceX and Tesla are completely independent of each other. SpaceX is privately held. There is very little collaboration between them. They share some board members but one's performance is unaffected by the others. Please explain what you are talking about. There is nothing collateralized between them. The Boring Company is too tiny to be of meaning to any of his other companies.

17. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    What is your point? Yes, he spent a boatload of money last quarter to buy the equipment to make the Model 3. That was expected. There is no need to bail out of anything. And he has publicly said if Tesla were to fail his own dollars would be the last dollars out the door. I stand by my comparison to Amazon. They both are spending tons of money now to grow instead of spending less and posting profits.

18. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Exactly, I brought up foreign oil. But you tried to compare it to foreign lithium which is ludicrous. Lithium gets mined ONE time to go into an EV. Oil needs to be sucked out of the ground OVER and OVER to refuel an ICE.

Have you owned a Tesla? Every other EV is merely a golf cart.

19. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Hey Jerry thanks for the education. I was under the impression tesla super chargers were magically pumping lithium into the battery.

Where do u think the lithium for many millions of cars is coming from, Nevada salt flats?

The last quote is like saying any other car except a Ferrari is merely a go cart. There are different reasons to own cars.

Funny, I was more of a tesla fan until I started reading your presumptuous argumentative rubbish.

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just read a few months ago (NewsMax I believe is the source but not certain) about Space X and Tesla cross collateralizing loans - each were guaranteeing the loans for others and both highly leveraged. Sorry, it was some months ago this year, this summer I believe. So you can do the reasearch on the matter if you wish. II have already confirmed it in my mind so I am not going to try to revisit the matter nor am I going to try to convince you. I have nothing invested or at risk so I could really care less about the group of companies.

21. pbvinn

pbvinn Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    Tesla spends $8k a minute.... 90% of Model S’s and X’s leave the factory with manufacturer defects. The model 3 is WAAAAAAY behind on deliveries. Elon is a genius, no denying that. Tesla is a cluster****, however. Forget lithium, Look into the issues regarding the cobalt required for the batteries.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Reference the 90%, I guess our S one of the 10%.

23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    One of my partners has an s. I’ve been impressed with build quality, and he hasn’t has a single issue.

24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    For interest.

Top 10 Passenger Electric Cars sold Worldwide January - October 2017:-

1) BAIC EC 180 - 72 191
    2) Tesla Model S - 55 449
    3) Nissan Leaf - 52 778