Replacement Tires for my 599 | FerrariChat

Replacement Tires for my 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Wantochamole, Feb 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wantochamole

Wantochamole Karting

Apr 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Phil W.
    Snow is on the ground but I'm already dreaming of getting back out on the roads again. With that said, I need to replace my tires for this upcoming summer. Currently I have the OEM PZero's and they lasted 13k miles.

Any suggestions going forward? Should I stick with the PZero's or move to a Pilot or Potenza? I want traction and ride comfort. Living in the city, even the smallest of cracks in the road can become pretty annoying.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Phil- You did not tell us which wheel/tire combination you have, but the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best overall tire out now for high performance cars. Your criteria for best traction and best ride are not completely complementary, but the Michelins are pretty good at both.

3. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    As far as I know, the Super Sports are not available in the size of the challenge-style rims.

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Carlo- Correct, they make the 245/35 20 fronts but for the 305/35 20s, they skipped that size and have 295/35 20s and 315/35 20s. 305/35 20s are 28.41" in diameter and 315/35 20s are 28.68" in diameter, a difference of 0.95% (less than 1%). 315/35 20 is the size fitted to the GTO and they work on rims 10.5-12.5" in diameter.

5. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Taz, you are the guru.

6. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    I also highly recommend the Super Sports if they'll fit your wheels. And they'll last longer than the Pirellis.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is anyone running different tires on the front and back? I replaced the PZeros on the back of my 612 a while ago, and I'll need to replace the fronts before long, but I'm not sure I want to stick with the PZeros again.

Particularly because the "new" PZeros I got for the rear had a date code which was older than the ones I wore out!

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Usually it is not recommended to mix tire types, but during a changeover period I have done it. Looking at tire pressures for 612s, 599s, and the GTO, Pirelli and Michelin both show recommendations of about 3 psi higher in the front tires than in the rear. So if you were looking at replacing the PZeros with PSS tires, the recommended OTO pressures of 33 psi F and 30 psi R would probably be a good compromise. Just like when it is very cold, avoid max cornering until you have a matched set all the way around and she should be fine.

9. Wantochamole

Wantochamole Karting

Apr 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Phil W.
    Taz, I have the 305/25/20 rears, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. Wondering if its ok to get super sports on the front and P2 on the rear. Also, your comment above makes it seem like I can get a different size to fit my challenge rims?

10. bthibodeaux

bthibodeaux Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Thibodeaux
    I hope this does not get me into trouble with the mods, but I happen to have a set of Bridgestone Potenzas designed for the Lexus LFA. The fronts are 265/35/20. The rears are 305/30/20. They have about 50 miles on them. I bought them for another car that has really open wheel wells, and they did not look proper on it so I put some thicker meats on. I will say the handling was amazing though. If these sizes will work for you, I am willing to ship to you (in Continental US) at about 60% of my cost. Just shoot me a PM, and we can talk dollars. I can also send you pics and exact Potenza model at the end of the week when I am back at home.

Thanks,
    Brian

11. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Bump

Is there a difference in super sports and PS2 sports by Michelin?

12. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I have the 20" 599 challenge rims on my 612, and had the same problem. The 315/35ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport K2 Ferrari XL did fit the rim, but did not fit on the rear of the 612. So I got the 305/35ZR-20 Continental Extreme Contact Sport instead and i'm very happy with the ride and grip.