Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 54 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    ypsilon, sjmst, NEP and 1 other person like this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    looks great
    congrats!

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Thanks. I was surprised to find pretty big discounts available even on the 2018 Giulia (they just got them, but still have lots of 2017s), probably 140 or so Giulias in inventory total. Even got a FCA discount of about $2500 for owning the BMW 3-series - did take proof of current registration in our name. The Giulia is a very nice car for the money IMO. Extended warranty and maintenance plans not too costly either, compared to, say, BMW. Unfortunately, FCA no longer offered the life-time warranty, unlimited miles and time as long as registered in my name... That warranty would map to the 8 year/125k miles warranty in case of change of ownership. Anyway, discontinued.

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Stunning car! Glad to hear Alfa USA is offering strong promos and warranty coverage. Thé more they sell they more they build and thé better thé programs are.

5. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I'm not sure bigger sales = better deals is the way it works. Generally, completely opposite.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like the interior of the Ti Sport as it has the classic Alfa pleats in the seats. Beautiful color combo!

7. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Thé German 3 offer some of the highest incentives par unit as the Americans do.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    We have had our Giulia Ti Sport rwd for a couple of days now, and I am so impressed by the car! I am not going to compare engine to our 328 wagon since it is a diesel for the mileage, but it has the M-package, and interior quality and driving experience is fair game. Being in the Giulia feels like a higher end car than the BMW 3-series. Even my wife, who mostly sees a car as transportation from A to B, says she isn't sure she could get back in the BMW after getting used to the Giulia. It is simply a really great car IMO. The BMW drives great but the Giulia feels equally good, actually better to me, and my wife seems to prefer how the Giulia drives over the BMW as well. We are missing a couple of features that we like on the BMW: heads-up display, and the ability to send addresses from any computer directly to the Nav on the car. On the other hand the Giulia has features that BMW does not offer on the 3-series. In the 80s, 90s, etc. you picked Alfa for the engine and driving experience and then lived with all the idiosyncrasies - not so anymore... :)

I am so fond of the Giulia that I am considering if I should trade my 2007 612 on a fire-breathing Quadrifoglio.

ypsilon and NEP like this.
  9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Toss up question for Giulia owners:
    The EPA (fwiw) rates the Giulia as 33/31/22 mpg (base/awd/QF).

But they rate my EVO X as 22 mpg, and I get 24 mpg on real highways, even here in hill country with 70 mph limits.
    Which is a bit disappointing. My '81 GTV-6 used to get 30 mpg (although without the mountains).
    But the EVO, even with the 6 speed Getrag, has to stay on boost to maintain 70 mph.

So I've been quibbling. When it comes time to replace the EVO, my short list consists of the Giulia. But Ti or QF?
    The Ti is fine for around town. But will the 2L turbo take a hit on road trips?

So --- are Giulia owners really getting 30 mpg on real highways wtth a 2L turbo?

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Beautiful. Love the color combo. I just got a Giulia Saturday and I am very happy with it. Congrats!

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Picked up my Giulia Ti AWD Saturday. We also, the week before, got a Alfa Stelvio.

The reason for this “Alfalanche” is that my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee lease was up and my 2015 Chrysler 200 met an untimely demise.

Full disclosure, my son works for FCA, so I got good deals.

Giulia Pros and Cons:

Cons:
    2017 Giulia ti, Black on Black

Not as many features or utility as my Chrysler 200.

The 200 had uconnect remote start, cavernous trunk, probably the best infotainment system on Earth, and a silky quite V6 engine. By contrast, the Giulia has stingy storage space, and a very user Unfriendly infotainment system.

Ok, that’s about it for cons.

Pros:

It’s beautiful. Fit, finish and materials are first rate.

It is absolute bliss to drive. Just pure joy. Instant power, razor sharp handling, compliant ride.

It has the Alfa Logo on it. ;)

Most of the above applies to the Stelvio. 2018 ti. Stromboli Gray/ Red
    The Alfa SUV drives like a sports car.

One bit of advice is that if buying, try to opt for the upgraded seat package.

My Giulia has it, the Stelvio does not.

Hence in the Stelvio you cannot adjust the angle of the bottom seat cushion, and I get the sensation of sliding off of it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Merak1974 and Boomhauer like this.
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  13. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
  14. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wow...economy is doing well in the SJMST household! They both look great. Would like to get further breakdown on the two once you have a better feel for the both of them. As I said earlier I will be in the mkt once my wife's lease is up in the July timeframe and am really kind of torn on which way I will go. Giulia has pretty much wowed everyone as a pure drivers car, I wonder if it carries over to the Stelvio even though it is the same platform. Wife likes the new Audi A5 Sportback and it is nice with the virtual cockpit, will have to work on her. Congrats...

15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    From MotorTrend:

"Carrying such a gutsy engine could tank fuel economy. But the Alfa is a miser. The rear-drive version of the 2.0-liter Giulia delivers 21.7/37.9/26.8 mpg city/highway/combined in our Real MPG tests, while the Quadrifoglio managed 15.8/28.5/19.8 mpg—in both cases, underperforming the EPA ratings slightly in city and combined and significantly exceeding them on the highway."

16. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1342 TMan, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

I get 37mpg on real highways (Giulia Ti Q4 with runflats)

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Thanks. It's good to get real world reports.

That highway mileage may be the difference between the 8 speed ZF and the 6 speed Getrag.
    The EVO has to strain a bit to keep up highway speeds. (It's worse for the guys with the 5 spd manual EVO.)

Much as I'd like the QF version, it's too much club for a grocery-getter.
    But I do have to take the occasional 90 mile run into the city.

Did your Giulia come with run-flats, or did you add them?
    I switched my EVO over to run-flats, and doubled my trunk space.
    But I'm thinking of going back to normal tires for the next set, as the run-flats lose air faster.
    I think the stiff sidewalls make it harder for the bead to stay sealed under load, with the low profiles.
    And the EVO's ride is harsh enough without the extra stiffness. ;)

18. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    I’m getting around 16.5 mpg on my QF. Mostly city driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my mileage is not that good. if it matters I have only used the car in race mode.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  20. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    never really tracked the mileage in my QV....drive it always in Dynamic...but I usually get a full tank for a week...

21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2017 Italy Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 788
    Feb - 789
    Mar - 918
    Apr - 728
    May - 1374
    Jun - 1491
    Jul - 575
    Aug - 246
    Sep - 656*
    Oct - 500*
    Nov - 1050*
    Total - 9115

*Figures may not contain Quadrifoglio models - See post #1200

22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2017 USA Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales:-

Jan - 70
    Feb - 412
    Mar - 484
    Apr - 634
    May - 883
    Jun - 992
    Jul - 1104
    Aug - 916
    Sep - 916
    Oct - 726
    Nov - 756
    Total - 7893

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The Stelvio only looks like an SUV. It handles better than most any car I've ever driven. Sounds odd, but it feels like it is gliding over the road, unaffected by friction.
    Super sharp handling, compliant ride, instant throttle response. Let me know if you have specific questions.

24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2017 Europe Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 1933
    Feb - 2005
    Mar - 2751
    Apr - 2096
    May - 2585