Mondial steering rack repair | FerrariChat

Mondial steering rack repair

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondiNor, Nov 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondiNor

MondiNor Rookie

Sep 5, 2008
    Norway
    I live in Norway and will have to do some work on the steering rack on my Mondial 8 in the near future. I have found companies in the US that can repair it, but shipment is aproblem. Do you know of anyone that can provide a spare part kit with necessary bushings, seals, etc for the overhaul?

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Contacted Stefan (Stekke4fun) yet, he usually has plenty Mondial stuff in stock.

Best
    Jurgen

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, but no new bushing sets, nor seals. I would advise superformance for consumables :)

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Is it a TRW rack? Power rack or manual rack?

paulchua likes this.
  5. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    MondiNor,

When I had an '82 it was my understanding, a very dangerous statement there, that the internals for a Pantera rack were the same. I ordered a kit from a Pantera site but sold the car before I had a chance to install it. It may still be around the house somewhere. Should I find it it can be yours for the shipping cost. I should know in a day or so.

Paul

6. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
  7. MondiNor

MondiNor Rookie

Sep 5, 2008
    Norway
    It is amanual rack.

8. MondiNor

MondiNor Rookie

Sep 5, 2008
    Norway
  9. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    There is a place in California thar sells individual parts for those racks. I searched for weeks to find just the bushing for the passenger side tie rod and they were the only ones who had them. I'll dig thru my receipts and find the name.

10. MondiNor

MondiNor Rookie

Sep 5, 2008
    Norway
    Thank you.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Eurospares have a used LHD steering box for £400, might be worth a go.

12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Can you show me on a pic what exactly you need? I may have one lying around here.

13. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The place I started was "The Pantera Place". It's an enthusiast site with links to companies that have parts etc. I got my tube bushing from PI motorsports. I know that stekkefun4 has a lot of parts too and he is closer to you than California. I'm rebuilding my steering rack this winter as well. I'll dig through my notes and find the site that has the step by step on how to as well. Hope this helps!

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have a 1988 US model Mondial 3.2, so this might not be the best information, but I recently had mine repaired with the bushing replaced. And yes, it WAS a bushing from a De Tomaso Pantera that was used for replacement. The new bushing is bronze, whereas the original was plastic or nylon. Let that sink in for a minute ... an $80,000 car with a plastic steering bushing! But it works fine now.
    Completely as an aside, I heard somewhere that Mondial racks were just very crudely extended versions of those used in Lotus Europas, but I don't know if that is reliable information.

Good Luck!

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    paulchua likes this.
  16. nurlabys

nurlabys Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    David and stekkefun4, my '88 Mondial 3.2 is in for service and I'm told the steering rack (NLA) needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I see that eurospares has a LHD for £400.00. David, where did you have yours repaired? stekkefun4, is that from a 3.2? Thanks!

paulchua likes this.
  17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have a unit for a QV that also suits the 8 and 3.2. It's still mounted in a car that I'm parting out, can you tell me which parts of the steering column you need? Or of the steering house? Please specify

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look up euspares.co.uk. They list complete steering racks from £300 to £700

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yelcab, just swapped out a leaking one for me! He knows these quite well. I got from eBay for $1100 net for a 't' rack. PM if you need their info.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Got mine at eBay here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Mondial-T-Steering-Rack-600-core-chg-included-154913/362622328044?epid=574352674&hash=item546df99cec:g:WJAAAOSw4A5Yq0HS:sc:USPSPriority!94025!US!-1

Had no problems

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I removed my steering rack and took it to Lindsay Automotive in Kenner, Louisiana. Jim Lindsay has worked on all manner of Ferraris including the breadvan Le Mans winner, Lambos, at least 1 McLaren F-1, etc. Very nice car guy. His number is (504) 466-2744. Although I am not one of his more lucrative clients, tell him I referred you.

Good luck!