Ceramic headers coating | FerrariChat

Ceramic headers coating

Discussion in '348/355' started by CANDREAM, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Any real gains in temp. reduction ?

Anyone coated the inside of the headers ? any concerns that the coating flakes and gets into the engine ?

jet hot seems most reputable.....anyone familiar with their products and does it withstand the F355 temps?
    https://www.jet-hot.com/

any feedback appreciated.

looking to apply on fabspeed new headers

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    These guys actually do the coating for Fabspeed. Or at least they did 24 months ago.

http://www.centralctcoatings.com/contactus.html

They did the inside of my headers (at least as far in as I could see with my probe). No worries in two years and 5,000+ miles

3. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Thanks will check them out.

did it reduce the heat ? is it the polished al ?

4. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Did it reduce the heat? Sure! :) I have no idea. In fact I have my personal doubts that any coating can make a HUGE difference in overall operating temp.

Mine were polished but had began to collect surface rust. I sent them to Central and the cleaned them and put a silver coating on them. The coating had a gloss finish that has since dulled somewhat.

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I think Swain may do it, they are the best at heat friction coatings

They friction coat every part of all my motors $$$ but I like to have the edge

http://swaintech.com/

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris

I had my fabspeed headers coated inside and out with what I was told was the heaviest black ceramic coatings available....in less than 2 years the coating was flaking off the outside where the collectors merge into one pipe (can't say what is going on inside the header). I resprayed with black ceramic header paint just to keep it looking good. Will it withstand the heat on a 355 header? Not totally but it keeps the header from rusting.

7. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    My personal opinion.....if you want real heat reduction in the engine compartment you should invest in custom metal heat shields or header blankets.

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Want real heat reduction, Inconel heat shields. I've had blankets and they are better than coating but they get really dirty. The Inconel will block much, much Image Unavailable, Please Login more radiant heat and will continue to look good.

9. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

A ceramic coat won't insulate headers unless it's applied to the inside of the pipes. Even then I don't think the heat reduction is as dramatic as it's advertised. SOP at my local coater is to sandblast headers inside and out for prep, and spray them inside and out. To have the coating last, it has to be cured properly, like a break-in procedure. Half hour at idle, shut off until room temp, then repeat a couple times. Then gradually build heat with mild driving for an hour or so before letting loose.

The first time I had a set done for my Alfa race car, it went straight to the dyno, and the coating didn't last more than a season or so. Subsequent headers were cured properly and have lasted longer. I've used VHT exhaust manifold spray paint to touch up scratches and welded cracks, and it's a perfect match for the black satin finish on my race car's headers, and seems to hold up just fine.

SoCal1 likes this.
  10. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Fabspeed did change shops for some reason. Mine was sent back for re-coating, and it was not this shop.

11. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Well that is interesting. I did mine two years ago so entirely possible.

The question for me is did they make that change for quality or cost reasons? Yikes! :)

12. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I coated my custom headers in heat resistant tape, which I then painted (soaked) with heat resistant paint to prevent the danger of oil/fuel getting absorbed.
    Still the heat is much more than I have with my 911GT3.
    So I seriously doubt if coating really makes a substantial difference.

13. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Helped a friend install Gibsons on his truck, which made a big difference in engine bay heat, and it greatly decreased cool down time, noticed especially when we went back to retorque fasteners after the required heat cycling. which he verified by employing some of the tools of his trade - a FLIR imaging camera and IR thermometer.