Mondials For Sale | Page 45 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Does anybody know who owns or where the PPG Mondial pacecar ended up?

2. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    What do you guys think of this peeling paint sticker? '93 Mondial coupe with reportedly only 12,000 km / 8500 miles on the clock.
    Looks strange to me - why would it be missing the corners; unless the hatch was repainted, and someone peeled it off and reapplied it?
    Car also has bolster scuffing on the drivers seat...
    Asking $60,000 USD, but it needs a major service - no service history since 2012, when the belts were done. 3 owners.
    Offered $50K and the selling shop does the major. A very fair price!
    Selling shop (selling on consignment) told me it's not even worth counter-offering, we are too far apart; basically told me to eat crow. WTF??!
    We'll talk in a year when the car is still for sale!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  3. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Sticker doesn’t bother me - assuming it’s the right color and you do not see other evidence of paintwork.
    Selling dealer story bothers me. Maybe the owner is here and will see your post.

Surge74 likes this.
  4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Talk to them again in the middle of winter.

Mechanical Dad and Surge74 like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    did the seller respond to your 50K offer? thanks for sharing.

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Seller responded "we are too far apart to counter" if I read it right Paul. If seller is capable of doing the major, which appears to be the case, he should have taken the $50K, spent $1K on parts, and banked the rest.

Does the carfax support the miles?

And do you have a paint gauge?

paulchua likes this.
  7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ferrari-Mondial/391914852256?hash=item5b3ff20fa0:g:jhQAAOSwehZZ9KrO&vxp=mtr

Dr Fink's green car. Although it looks like he sold it to the guy who is now selling it. It looks like a lot of work has been done. Seller does not specifically list receipts but major service, new brake hydraulics, new stainless exhaust, new alternator, fuel injection overhaul, new wheels, looks like interior has been releathered. Now yours for $26,500 obo needing rust abatement and paint.

8. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    I do have a paint gauge, but have not seen it yet. I won't, since the seller has said it's not worth even replying to my offer with a counter-offer. I have to say that for a discretionary purchase such as this one, the right buying experience is very important. Why would I want to spend my money on another car for my collection if the seller is borderline rude? And definitely out to lunch?!

There is no Carfax. It's a European car. I don't think Carfax is in Europe? But the miles seem to be real, as there is a local government report from the license renewal office which shows the mileage consistently increasing over 3 owners to today's 12,000 km. But if it's anything like the Ontario government version in Canada, it's self-reported, so you can easily lie and make up your own mileage.

I agree - $50k is on the high end of the Hagerty's range. I failed to mention that both front and rear glass is delaminating and will need replacement. Hagerty's "Concours" is $53K. So this car is not concours level.
    $50K and doing the major, the selling dealer seems more than capable, is a great offer.

Perhaps it's the owner who is nuts and thinks it's worth $60K plus a $15K major...

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ah thank you, missed it!

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Surge74, I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes. Stay patient, the right one will come along. Best wishes.

Surge74 and bencollins like this.
  11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Look like here in Canada the older cars are getting rare. Almost no Mondials or 355 for sale right now.

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Sergio,
    Sent you a PM in "conversations" few days back. Not as easy to find here on new site im thinking?

13. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    It looks like 1984 Mondial (zfflc15b000051679) is for sale in a small town South of Ft. Worth - https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ferrari-mondial-1984/6377604910.html . It appears that it was involved in an accident in the past and rebuilt with 3.2 bumpers - http://www.2040-cars.com/Ferrari/Mondial/ferrari-mondial-cabriolet-yellow-clean-700507 . Probably a bit of a money pit given that it has a salvage title and if the issues mentioned in the older ad haven't been addressed. Never-the-less, good to keep track of these things...

2cam

14. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
  15. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    This car was listed on ft worth cl about 2 years ago. It was front ended quite badly and repaired by a guy in the Midwest someplacewho also painted it yellow. Seller seemed squirelly. There was some dubious story about the title, an uncle of the seller supposedly owned it, don't quite recall the details. But

16. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does this guy have anything better to do then make this section a wine and ***** arena? How do I block his comments? At this point I'm happy he had issues... hahaha!

My contribution to this section is that Mondial's are great cars. and obviously smart enthusiasts buy cars that have been taken care of.

I had a 86 Mondial Coupe (Metallic Blue and Red interior), drove it four years, put on 40,000 miles and dumped less than $1200 into the car. Did the belt change with a friend and it was cake... and after that just oil changes. Best car I've ever owned. If you watch the Indie Sci-Fi feature film "Alien Encounter" it's in that movie - my 77 308GTB (White) is as well.

Now I have a 89 Mondial T Cabriolet with 20,000 miles and it's perfect and I plan to drive it and drive it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Left click on his username, little black box pops up. Upper right of that black box has an "ignore" option... done

paulchua likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1118 paulchua, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    What a beauty. Congrats! Russ has some useful information at times. He makes no allusions to his disdain for the model though. It makes for fun banter, having an opposing fan at your favorite home team sporting event happens, although they do usually try to go the visitor's section. I have also never seen an opposing fan wonder why they would receive negative reactions (with no violence of course) when bashing the home team.

19. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was also at the auction at Kings Lynn, surprised how much it went for. The car was heavily rusted on the arches, chassis and floor pan. Plus the interior was grubby, paintwork tlc required and full major service....

Nathan76 likes this.
  20. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Wow...this gives me confidence to hold steady on my price.

21. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    So approximately $42K USD for a example with heavily rusted arches, chassis, and floor pan? That would buy a beautiful example here in the states. Seems like a few people were really after it and got into a little bidding war. Were they able to properly examine the condition of the car beforehand? That is even well over the auction estimate range.

22. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    I am thinking of selling my 1985 Ferrari Mondial QV. Have done extensive work on car. Drove to Mondialpaloozo in PA in 2013. Mechanically sound. It is a driver- interior is worn, and there is a rip in top when I purchased car years ago. I am third owner. Car has new pillars, Dave Helms fuse box, updated cooling system, and 348 wheels. Have extensive service records. Serviced my Moorespeed and Brian Crall in Austin. Below is a video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEzuYf650Y4

Did not realize I had key in ignition the whole time with background buzzer noise. Have driven a few hundred miles since video. PM me if interested.

23. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree I think there must have been a bit of bidding fever going on! The day before the auction people get the opportunity to look at the cars up close and the day of the auction in the morning (which I did too). Also googling the number plate reveals some of the MOST History (for quite a few years there have been advisories for the rusted floor/chassis). The car was in rough condition.

I was bidding on a Ferrari 308GT4 Dino which was there, but needed Bodywork on visual inspection and went for £39500+ 5% commission....

The problem with auctions there is a risk and a reason why they are in there, these cars haven't shown up in the normal sites like autotrader/piston heads/ebay etc.

24. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Will be interesting to see where this 1984 QV Cabriolet ends up on Bring a Trailer, at $24,050 with 4 hours to go. That's 3 QVs in quick succession on BaT. The silver and black Raiders QV coupe owned by @RicSinger, my red one. We'll see who's next!

paulchua likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Interesting to see unanimous positive comments, have not seen that before on BAT. I was waiting for that one 'guy' from the fast and furious crowd to say it's bad handling, fake Ferrari.

Times a changing..