Outdoor parking a coupe? | FerrariChat

Outdoor parking a coupe?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Surge74, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Obviously not ideal - but interested in knowing if it should not be done at all.

The car would be covered at all times, under a top quality all-weather cover. Never driven in winter. But yes, it would be outside in winter (under the cover).
    I'm in Toronto, so the weather does get cold/hot -12C to about +30C.

I just don't have a garage.

On one hand, it's not going to get moldy! And it's not humid like some garages may get, so rust should not be an issue.
    It's really just about the temperatures, I think.

2. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    ouch! I find condensation is the enemy. During the day the air carries more humidity, at nighttimes when getting colder it quickly settles on the car. It is a bit better under overhangs (say carport). Can you set up a carport? The covers that are waterproof may leave unwanted scratching when moved by wind, the plush velvet ones will not repel rain...

3. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    I use Covercraft all weather covers, and I detail and layer the paint with several layers of proection, so it will not scratch by the cover (and I can polish it if it does). Haven’t had an issue with my AMG.
    The cover is breathable, so it does not trap moisture inside (on the car). It’s also waterproof, so no rain gets through.

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Not ideal true. Rustproofing wasn't the best til the 3.2 came around. In addition think of ways to keep critters out of your car. Rodents love to chew on wires and nest.

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hmmm, I've considered this option too...outdoor lot in NYC....but I decided against it.

1) In NYC they spray salt around like CRAZY! Piles of it in the middle of the road at the slightest hint of snow, and the wind blows it everywhere. It's usually around for a month after the snow stops, until we have several good rains to wash it all away. Terrible for an old car, even one parked 20ft from the nearest street on a driveway or in a lot.
    2) Mice and rats. As Dave M said, they love to make nests in cars and chew wires. You even have to watch for it in garages, but outside the car is a lot more vulnerable.
    3) I might be wrong on this, but I think exposure to extreme temps can accelerate aging on things like rubber and leather?

That said, if it's your only option...it's your only option. Just park it as far away from the street as you can and get the best cover you can...breathable and waterproof.

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am in Toronto too, and the problem will be condensation in the mornings, will in effect be wetting the car throughout, everyday. I would spray rust check into the door panels and whatever frame rails have access holes. Where the condensation pools in panel crevices is where the problems will come from. Wax the car before putting it away. Plug the exhaust pipes for mice, and put some rodent deterrent satchels in the engine bay. You should also get a product called deoxit and go through the car and dab on all electrical contacts, including those attaching to the computers, the relays, etc. this will prevent the often invisible surface corrosion on electrical contacts that causes many problems.

Not ideal to store outdoors, never on grass or unpaved surfaces. But life is full of compromises, so do the preventive things and you will limit the impacts.

Surge74 likes this.
  7. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    Yes, thank you, great advice. I can park it on my driveway, such that it's quite far (30') from the street, and it's not a main road.
    For mice/rodents, I use Fresh Cab, an all natural repellent (I believe it's lavender, mainly), and it has never been a problem with my other cars.
    I think a garage is actually a higher rodent risk, because they seek warmth, and would prefer to be in (semi-) enclosed space...

For sure the rubber and leather need extra care due to the lower temps. I use 303 rubber protectant and Lexol for leather (on my other cars).

8. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
  9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    remove the battery as well, keep it charged somewhere warm

10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I've used an indoor one. I have an Alfa Spider which I have to store outside because my 360 is in my single garage. I wanted a Carcoon but having a short drive I think my neighbours may not be too pleased and my fiancee isn't too happy about it either.
    It would be my perfect choice and better than a non dehumidified garage.
    There are other touchless covers which I'm considering but her indoors is not impressed with these either :(
    UK based site but worth looking into these options..
    http://www.morethanpolish.com/Touchless_Car_Cover.asp
    http://www.morethanpolish.com/rollout-car-cover.asp

11. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Are there any storage facilities nearby, ones that also have units which will support storing a car? I recently found one a few minutes from my house that I was unaware of. It is completely fenced off with 24/7 keypad entry to the property, and you provide your own lock.

12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I'd love that as an option for another car.

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I'm in the rainy UK and I've been doing this for the past 6 years with Kato but it's not ideal. I drive the car every weekend and only ever sponge wash the car. I have a double cover thing going on. They are grey and breathable but they need replacing every year because they loose their properties. Kato is now in a garage and has suffered no I'll effects from the last few years.
    Corrosion mainly happens when water is trapped in the sill cover areas and in the doors between the skin and the framework. Also water gets into the trunk sound deadening and never disperses even in a dry garage after a long hot summer. These cars store water that can fester for years. So key areas are trunk, sill covers, door skin fold at bottom of doors. Also wheel arches where wet grime collects. In short treatment of those areas will do more to preserve your car than damage done by leaving it under cover outside.
    Regards Bell

14. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Corrosion mainly happens when water is trapped in the sill cover areas and in the doors between the skin and the framework. Also water gets into the trunk sound deadening and never disperses even in a dry garage after a long hot summer. These cars store water that can fester for years. So key areas are trunk, sill covers, door skin fold at bottom of doors. Also wheel arches where wet grime collects. In short treatment of those areas will do more to preserve your car than damage done by leaving it under cover outside.
    Regards Bell[/QUOTE]

Could you post a picture of where the water is to be found in the trunk area?
    As for the other areas - sill covers - take them off I assume
    door skin fold at bottom of doors - is it the usual clogging up of the drainage holes?

Cheers
    Braq