#1451 GT Going Up For Auction | FerrariChat

#1451 GT Going Up For Auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by malcolmjl, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I wondered what RM would come up with for their New York sale since the last two had a superlative selection of collectible cars and the early announcements were a little bleh. This is arguably THE best California since it finished 5th at Le Mans in 1959 behind Aston Martin DBR1 #2, DBR1 #4, 250 TDF #1321 and 250GT Interim #1461GT. As it is in original condition and one of just eight alloy California it is incredible valuable, the only shortcoming is that it has open rather than covered headlights. This very car sold for a touch under $5 million in 2007, all things considered, a figure in the mid teens, maybe $15 - 17 million, seems appropriate in 2017.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sold 18 August 2007 for US$ 4'950'000 all incl. at the RM Monterey auction to the man who now has consigned it to RMS NY.

Marcel Massini

3. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    In a recent outing at the Richard Mille Chantilly Concours, the cars came and travelled in convoy, and the car was used as it should be during the Tour d'Elegance so not only a show car but a nicely drivable car rain or shine! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

malcolmjl likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    1451GT is one of 8 aluminium LWB Californias but there were also 3 SWB aluminium Californias.

250GT LWB California Competzione 1603GT with aluminium body, tipo 168 engine, disc brakes, covered headlights and a good racing history fetched $18,150,000 including buyer's premium at Goodings's Pebble Beach auction of August, 2016.

prova250swb likes this.
  5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think the open headlights make the car look even more attractive. I realize that is probably minority opinion...

amerikalei, lgs and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  6. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Did they post the engine build sheet? I have an identically spec'd comp engine to that.

7. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    That makes no sense to me. So this car with BETTER history is worth $1 mil - $3 mil less just because it doesn't have covered headlights? Even if they do look better, they don't look $3 mil better (or more with history factored in).

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Is this the California that was owned by Joe Rosen, pre-Masterson?

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There is a big difference in the Hagerty values between open and closed headlamp steel bodied Californias and then an even bigger jump for an alloy car. The Hagerty values don't differentiate between open and closed headlamps on the LWB alloy cars. All 3 SWB alloy cars have closed headlamps, although I don't believe 2987 is a comp. car(????) as it doesn't have an outside filler cap and has 9mm lift cams. I could only get the values in GBP I'm sorry.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    I don't disagree with the valuation, I just think that the market seems wrong for that to reality. Were I in the position to buy I would take the RM car over the Gooding car any day. For me at least, history outweighs aesthetics.

11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I can't believe there even exists a "Blue book" for California values. So few examples, (so few examples per year), so few sales, such varied condition (level of originality and/or level of restoration) and history.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.

Marcel Massini

13. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Which team 1451 GT raced on 1959 Le Mans?

Some source says it was NART, but some says it was privat entrant Ferdando Tavano, co-driver for Bob Grossman, who owned the car at that time.

tx246 likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that the official entrant was Tavano, driven by Tavano and Grossman.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  15. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Just find result from book "N.A.R.T.: A concise history of the North American Racing Team 1957 to 1983", where 1451 listed as NART car. But I would love to find more proofs.

https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=tUmFCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=ferrari+1451+gt&source=bl&ots=zSqHJscHsL&sig=PKcYGQT58M_c68K6CD1DKO6LJeA&hl=ru&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFybq95s_XAhUHMBoKHTkzAigQ6AEIbDAN#v=onepage&q=ferrari%201451%20gt&f=false

16. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Luigi Chinetti approached Grossman late 1958 to race a new California at Le Mans and an agreement was made. Grossman only bought 1451GT after the Le Mans race under the agreement to purchase the car.

carvad and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Drooling over the photos on the RM web site and have a technical question. What is the function of the plexiglass screen on the hood? Was there no windshield at LeMans? Or is it just supposed to catch something before it hits the main windshield?

Thanks,

Sixcarbs

19. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Indeed a bug deflector.

20. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    It's a bug/debris deflector. It creates an air vortex that keeps everything away from the drivers side of the windshield so you can still see after 24 hours of driving.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Interesting story, thanks. I thought Bob Grossman wanted to race in Le Mans and came with this idea to Chinetti. Could you share more info?

22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    My information comes from the Stan Nowak article in Cavallino 36 published in 1987.

carvad likes this.
  23. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Thank you Boudewijn. I have no this article but I've find confirmation in this interview with Bob Grossman.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303202237/https://themaseraticlub.com/Grossman.html

BTW, do you know the story why Grossman bought two Californias one by one, 0939 GT and then 1451 GT? Why he didn't prepare the 0939 for Le Mans?

24. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    #1451GT was a Competizione spec car with an alloy body and 128/F engine. Quite different to the standard car that was #0939GT, significantly lighter and maybe 20 - 60bhp extra