Fiat 124 Sport Coupe | FerrariChat

Fiat 124 Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Yoric, Oct 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Any love for the Fiat 124 Sport Coupe here or anywhere? I just bought a 1972 example that I'll be picking up next week. It has a Lampredi designed twin overhead cam (belt-driven!) 4-cyl engine with a 6,500 RPM redline, fed by a Weber carburetor, four wheel disc brakes, a five speed transmission, 50/50 weight distribution and--if those weren't enough virtues-- shares its taillights with a Lamborghini Urraco (I think this is the right model). And yet I can find no forum dedicated to this unsung Italian beauty. Anyone here familiar with this car or a website where I can chat with other owners?

2. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Correction, the taillights are shared with the Lamborghini Jarama, not the Urraco. And, while I'm at it--bragging that is, LOL--, it must be pointed out that the body was designed by Mario Boano, further adding to its laurels since it's the same stylist who penned the Ferrari 250 GT "Boano." All in all, not bad for a car that initially sold for $3,170.95. Anyway, let's hear from some other Fiat aficionados.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Hi, Yoric;
    In case this might be useful, I still have originals in great shape of the Fiat factory mechanical and bodywork parts manuals for the 1972 124 Sport Coupe, plus the factory wiring diagram, plus some misc other. Might have the color chart booklet. Lots of magazine material, USA and other.
    The class president at our high school (1970) had a new green 124 Coupe, I was very jealous. Rarely see them now.

4. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #4 hyenahf, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Yorick, yes they are urraco tail lamps and on the jarama too just mounted differently on the later.... who told you otherwise?

i had a later a geen 124 C coupe decades ago in high school. cool car but a little heavy and bigger compared to a alfa gtv i recall. my sisters boy friend bought one new and i thought it was way cool...they werent cheap back then like to a pinto or vega, haha.

72 B-series was my favorite because of the motor and fiat-dino like front end though many consider the A series the best because of the driveline.

5. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Miltonian,
    How nice that you still have all of those Fiat books, service references and materials. I unfortunately have next to nothing to help guide me in the care and proper service techniques of the 124 Coupe. In the interim--between my purchase last week and the expected delivery some time around the 21st of this month--I have been looking but without luck. Given that your materials correspond exactly to the year of my car (1972), I wonder if you'd consider selling them to me. Needless to say, I would be very grateful and be willing to pay you for them all. Please email me at <[email protected]> since I'm not on Fchat as often as on my home email.

6. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    Yoric
    The 124 Coupe shares basically all mechanical parts with the 124 Spiders, so many parts are readily available. Exterior trim, dashboard, rear seats and some interior parts are very different and harder to find. While not dedicated to the Coupe, the mirafiori.com forum has lots of Fiat folk and good knowledge.
    Jonathan

7. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Thank you three responders for the bits of information proffered, everything helps this newby. In the meanwhile, If anyone has books or manuals for sale I am in the market, either outright buys or else would be equally willing to pull some volumes from my Ferrari collection as trade bait. Let me know and again, thank you Jonathan, Miltonian and hyenahf. It's good discovering a Fiat community.

8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

Try to get the Haynes Manual for your 124 Coupe . I think they’re still available.

Luigi

9. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Just found and bought the Haynes manual in a local used bookstore. Good, clear instructions with lots of pictures and diagrams, a real bargain. Thanks for the tip Luigi.

10. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Kind of a budget Alfa GTV, in my opinion. I owned a 124 Spider and wasn't able to really bond with it, mostly because of how flexy it was. I think the coupe should be much more rigid -- a good thing.

11. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    from my experience fhaving had a bunch of alfa-fiat gtv, coupe and spiders years ago, the 124 sport coupe was stiffer than the alfa gtv. but it was much heavier and typically had a smaller less powerful motor than the alfa. all of this can be address with cams, pistons, idf etc on a 1.8 or 2.0 of course.

12. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    FYI, the Ferrari Boano was designed by PF; the prototype was 0429GT.

13. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Although I've never owned a coupe, I've had seven 124 Spiders. The coupe is a lovely little car, with excellent visibility. They look much better in my opinion if they are lowered a bit and have a nice period-correct wheel like the Cromodora CD-30.

magisano likes this.
  14. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Agree on all counts. If only I could find a decent--and decently priced--set of Cromodora Daytonas, I would buy them in a heartbeat. I found a similar design out of Australia, called Performance Challenger, and may settle for that version if some can be sourced here in the US. The car is going to the painter in a couple of weeks--either Viper red or Ferrari rosso corsa.

15. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    124 Coupes are great underrated classics always wanted one.

16. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    By the way what was the original color of the 124 coupe you recently acquired ? Is 1972 the 2 headlight or 4 headlight version .

17. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The 4-headlight version of the 124 coupe was introduced late in 1969 in Italy, part way through the 1970 model year for the USA market.

18. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    NEP, AUDIO RESEARCH and lineaTesoro like this.
  19. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Beautiful wheels on your '70 coupe. Mine (1972, 4-headlight, 1600cc) is due out of the paint shop in the next week or so after four months of work down to bare metal. Can't wait to get it home to start reassembly and interior installation--hopefully I'll remember how it all goes together!

20. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    My 1974 Fiat 124 Spider had the same wheels Flaviaman . I like your car , the color is period correct . What color is it ?

21. lineaTesoro

lineaTesoro Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Omar Fernandez
    Found some pic's when i was 16yrs old, had Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, Modified with Abarth Cams, Pistons, Exhaust, Dual Webers, Metal flares, lowered, got pulled over a couple times by cops thinking it may be race car, No Bumpers, and IMSA Decal on rear lid. Had lot's of fun back then with it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

hyenahf, lgs and NEP like this.
  22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hi everyone......

Just ducked into this thread to say I have put my two 124 Spider projects into the Ads above.
    They are actually an '82 (red), and an '83,(dark blue) so nameplates are "FIAT 2000 Spider".

Not much money involved, I need to pay the Storage Unit, and let them go.
    Check it out!!

23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I thought about getting a 124 spider for FL. Good friend's son in law knew of a 2000 for sale and in excellent shape. Was excited until I drove it. It was totally uninspiring. They do look cool and I know nothing about the coupe.