Structural Front End Damage 458 italia | FerrariChat

Structural Front End Damage 458 italia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jwhite7891, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jwhite7891

jwhite7891 Rookie

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    John White
    Hello,

I really need to find a proper mechanic in the Austin, TX area that will make the necessary repairs. I have all the parts to do the work but need a mechanic that can commit to repairing the front structural elements with or without a jig. (It can be done either way) Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

John

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any photo's please !

3. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    bloody hell - your accident or you bought the wreck?

4. jwhite7891

jwhite7891 Rookie

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    John White
    My accident...so do you know anyone who could help me fix at a reasonable price in Austin

5. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I hope all involved are ok - good luck with your search.

6. jwhite7891

jwhite7891 Rookie

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    John White
    so you dont have any contacts?

7. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    sorry- from the UK!

8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Your problem is many shops won't touch it because of liability reasons.

Good luck with you search either way! I know some cars, like the Audi R8 and A8, have aluminum frames and there are a handful of body shops that are properly equipped to work on them. Maybe try giving them a call and perhaps they could provide better guidance? An Audi dealer should have a list handy and work from there.

9. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    amazing car though as your okay.. glad to hear I would call some local ferrari dealerships, they should be able to tell you who can fix things

10. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    going to ask the obvious, but did you call Ferrari Austin to see who they would recommend if you could source the jig? I've seen worse, so I know it can be done....just not sure about in Austin.

11. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi John

I think I may have an idea....

Now this may be a long shot.....

On one of the episodes of Fast and loud they repaired a totalled F40....

Now those boys are in Dallas and the garage they used was I think in Dallas as well and they had all the gear to do it...

If you search out the episode on you tube I am certain they named the repair shop in there, and they did a top notch job.

Hope that helps

Regards

Michael

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    This is great idea. An episode about repairing a 458 would be fascinating to most.
    I think I know the car, Didn’t it end up as a black F40?

If so the new owner brought it to an experienced factory certified body shop/ service center.
    They re did quite a bit of the work.

These cars are pretty specific with a lot of details in terms of parts, fit, and construction.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    First of all, if this is your car, sorry for your loss, and more importantly glad you and or passenger weren’t injured.
    A new bumper, quarter panels, front tub, new trellis, new radiators can all be replaced.
    But things get dicey with the central front frame. There are some complex forms which are usually not repaired,

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    In the third picture I think this complex form is shown with a crack and separation of the front member.
    The question is can this be repaired?

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Of course it can be repaired! You only have to find a guy who is willing to do that.

Many cars in other countries had the same front damage ... now on the road again ...

16. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    The real question is will your insurance company cover it once it’s rebuilt?
    I know mine wouldn’t.

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The name of the complex casting I was referring to is called the Shock Tower Brace.
    Hope this is helpful to the owner,

18. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I agree that anything can be repaired given the skills required, time and money.

That said the Shock Tower Brace damage is something unique. The weld was literally torn in half. I have done a lot of aluminum welding and have not seen something like that on that scale. Cracks and buckling yes...but a weld torn in half?

That would raise a number of concerns about the stress on the surrounding material and the suitability of welding it. Simply re welding it won't work. For certain, I would trim off the damaged area and use a number of plates and gussets to add more strength to the area. If it was a track car....it is less of a cosmetic issue and more about adding strength.

As to repair commentary.....when Ferrari repairs it in Maranello it is a much different liability (to insurance companies) than an independent or specialty shop doing the repair.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  19. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The struts that extend to the front of the car are torn off of the shock tower castings. I don't think that you can properly repair the damage without replacement of both of the shock tower castings or replacement of the entire front sub-frame. This is some pretty extreme chassis repair that requires the use of a proper chassis jig. Also, I don't think that Ferrari will sell structural parts like the the shock towers or struts to any body-shop that is not a Ferrari certified repair center.

lee2468 and MalibuGuy like this.
  20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Agree with all your comments.
    Trying to weld to aluminum castings with very precise geometries is extremely challenging and require some trial and error which can result in a casting which is no longer usable.
    Replacement rather than repair is probably the best approach. However, this part requires diassasembly and deconstruction of many components, and may require similar work on both sides.
    The expense of this work may ultimately prove not be justifiable.

21. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    When I was at the factory last year in Maranello, a flatbed pulled up loaded with California frames. The frames are made off-site (nice welding too) and it wasn't exactly clear who made them for Ferrari (the tour guide called them a "supplier"). Just speculating but if Ferrari was to repair the car.....my guess is that they would start with a new frame. Given that they can assemble a new car from receiving the frame within a week....that would be a logical starting point.

It just comes down to the economics....that's why an F40 is repairable and a 458 may not be. Even a television show would face the same conundrum when it came to repairing the frame. I think a lot of the car shows have gotten better but some of their work remains questionable on restoring salvage cars. They seem more interested in meeting a time clock and creating drama than doing a quality restoration.

22. Alamo Gear Head

Alamo Gear Head Karting

Sep 28, 2015
    You may want to try Renown Auto Restoration in San Antonio, they have an amazing shop and have been known to repair high end and exotics.
    wwww.renownauto.com
    The damage to your car is pretty extensive, I can see why most shops wouldn't touch it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Sell all parts of your car and spend 40000€ I think this is the Investment price of your repair,
    And Buy a new one.you have no headache......
    Belive me.

LVP488, Afonsolaw and nmcclure like this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Spare parts. The car will NEVER be the same. My 2 cents

LVP488 likes this.