Bloodhound-First public run | FerrariChat

Bloodhound-First public run

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 100badboy100, Oct 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login i went down to Newquay airport today to see the first run of Bloodhound the new land speed car that is aiming to break 1000mph!!!

Was great to see the car do 2 runs on the runway at Newquay whilst they closed the airport (longest runway in the UK) and hear Andy Green and RichRd Noble talk.

Fingers crossed that they get to break there own record and hit the 1000mph goal!

Regards

Michael

Attached Files:

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I follow the Bloodhound progress all these years through their official web site and social media. Well, the team is incredible and the work they've done on the car, with so much technology and knowledge is just epic.

Here is a 3 hours video, talking about the project and the technology around it.

Enjoy!

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Inquiring minds, etc.: someone was quoted saying that "....above 400mph the wheels cannot turn as fast as the car, so become like boat rudders....nearly useless for turning....."
    What? Wheels can't 'rotate' above 400 mph? Or useless for turning? Yaa; no turning anyway at those speeds....
    Not crystal clear....

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not exactly a thing of beauty is it?

BHW

NürScud likes this.
  5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    True that.

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Overall, I agree, but the individual components of the building of the craft do have some mechanical beauty to them. I have watched it come together over a while and there is some cool pieces in there.

Daytonafan likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Their first car looked a lot better (ThrustSSC). Hopefully they succeed and they avoid any mishaps.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Cannot imagine it. I'm thinking Bluebird not Bloodhound. I cannot wrap my mind around 1000 mph on the ground unless it's on rails or something similar like the hypertube.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    They're a looooooooong way from making any record runs. They still have to design, build, test and install the rocket system that is proposed. The jet engine is just to get the wheels turning. It's a rocket motor that is supposed to do the real work.

I'm not holding my breath.

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It is my understanding that the solid billet wheels will be rotating above 10,000 rpm at top speed.