My battery blew up on a tender charger | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My battery blew up on a tender charger

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by swift53, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have been using a Granite Digital Brand Charger for a few years and they make an exceptional product.

https://www.batterysaver.com/

It looks like they have changed them a bit since I last bought one but the wall mount and readout make for a nice setup!

2. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I typically leave my cars always on the chargers, but in the back of my mind an exploding battery catching fire is my worst nightmare. Even on batteries that go dead but are still connected I've had good luck (didn't know battery was dead). I've used BatteryMinders exclusively for over 10 years.

What are the chances of a battery on a tender catching fire?

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Have a good friend over in New Orleans who kept his rarely driven garaged car (not a Ferrari) on a tender 24/7. Something went wrong and caused an engine fire, which nearly spread to his house. If his home security/fire alarm system hadn't gone off and notified him of smoke in the garage, the house would have gone up too. He caught it in time and put the engine fire out with handheld extinguishers, then pushed the car out of the garage to be sure. I don't know the details about the battery or charger brand as he received a healthy settlement from both companies and had to sign an NDA.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1, I have a Granite as well and it works wonderfully. I own several different brands, all seem to work fine, but the Granite has some neat battery and charging system tests, as well as the digital read out. Brian Crall recommends them too.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    omg this is crazy sorry to hear about this

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I posted a thread about a year ago - this happened to me, except the battery didn't explode, it emitted noxious gas. It filled the entire house with a rotten egg type smell, it was horrible.

Be careful leaving a battery tender / charger on for an extended time.

7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    On our winter stored cars, the maintainers are used 2 weeks on, one week off. the cars are moved and started/run to temp every other cycle. A full detail and oil change performed at the end of the contract. Never had issues. Used factory chargers if supplied, otherwise a Granite.

8. Stanley Kendall

Stanley Kendall Karting
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2017
    Oichie! Just be glad you weren’t trying to read the fine print on the label at that moment!