It’s official: IndyCar racing will return to the Portland International Raceway in 2018. | FerrariChat

It’s official: IndyCar racing will return to the Portland International Raceway in 2018.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by JDZNate, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — It’s official: IndyCar racing will return to the Portland International Raceway in 2018.

City officials announced the Grand Prix of Portland will be held Labor Day weekend 2018 at PIR. The event over 3 days — August 31-September 2, 2018 — will be the next-to-last event of the Verizon IndyCar Series schedule. The agreement is set to run through 2020 with races happening each year. After that, there is an option to renew, but Wheeler hopes the series and Portland can work together for years to come.

“We know that an event of this magnitude brings in a minimum of 12 to 15 million dollars of revenue and scores of jobs as well,” Wheeler said.

It’s the first time an IndyCar race will be held in Portland since 2007, when the Champ Car World Series was held at PIR. There’s no set date on when tickets will be available, but the series expects general admission to be priced around $20. The event, because it happens at PIR, will be self-supporting, which means no tax-money will fund it. Any city functions and services will be funded by Verizon IndyCar Series, the event provider
    In a statement, Wheeler also said:

“As a young man, I had the opportunity to attend the Indy 500. I remember well the excitement and thrills that INDYCAR racing bring to a city and to race spectators. The return of INDYCAR racing to Portland will give us terrific international exposure, a great deal of revenue, new jobs, and an exciting experience for race fans

Green Savoree Racing Promotions will own and operate the race at PIR and hold all commercial rights to the event.

Mark Miles, the CEO of Hulman & Company which owns the Verizon IndyCar Series, said in a statement, “INDYCAR couldn’t be more excited to again race in front of one of our strongest fan bases.”

“We just kept coming back to PIR,” Miles said. “It’s a great city and a great track with great tradition in IndyCar racing.”

Between 1984 and 2007, sanctioned races from either Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) or Champ Car World Series were held at PIR.

http://koin.com/2017/10/12/report-indycar-will-have-race-at-pir-in-2018/

Il Steeg and f355spider like this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think that will be great! I always enjoyed going to the IndyCar races in the old days.

3. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Wonder how the neighborhood association to the south will react to the noise?

4. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would love to see Indy car racing return to the streets of Vancouver, BC...(probably a pipe dream) I went several times in the 90s, it was an amazing spectacle to see.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome can't wait!

7. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    You're right about Vancouver Dave - we went several times too. I think the event was a victim of its own success. Initially run in a "forgotten" part of Vancouver, the exposure led to development and then you know how that goes. The new residents don't want all that noise and disruption in "their" neighborhood. Sad. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nice pictures Wiley...I need to scan all my slides from those days....I worked for UPI back then and had media and "hot pit" all access passes...fuji film was a major sponsor and gave out a lot of free film and premiums...

9. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Scan 'em - would love to see your pics. I was media too, and I remember the Fuji film swag - our paths probably crossed back then.

windsock and f355spider like this.
  10. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Nice photos, Wiley. Being a data/race engineer for CART teams in the 90s, I used to enjoy the northwest part of the race season. In fact, I moved here right after my race operations days.

Fond memories of great races and changing race conditions/strategies both in PIR and in Vancouver.

windsock, wiley355 and f355spider like this.
  11. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    There should be an announcement regarding Pirelli World Challenge and Rose Cup weekend this week and I know a local team that would have a car to compete at its home track :)

wiley355 and f355spider like this.
  12. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    PWC is indeed coming to Portland July 12th-15th and will participate in the Rose cub races. This will be PWC and Spint X and there should be at least two local cars in PWC and Sprint x.

f355spider and wiley355 like this.