Selling car privately on ebay? | FerrariChat

Selling car privately on ebay?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Gran Drewismo, Oct 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I searched but I couldn't find a similar thread....if one exists please merge with that.

Who here has sold a car privately on ebay? I have an older 7-series that I'd like to sell online in the hopes of eking out a couple extra grand versus selling it to some guy locally.

Any tips or suggestions? Is ebay still an okay place to sell?

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    At the lower end of the market, ebay really doesn't broaden your audience too much when the potential buyer has to figure in $600 to $1200 shipping on a $2k car - unless you set a reserve price low enough to compensate for that.

Otherwise? I sold a Porsche 928 S4 years back via ebay. Listed it starting at 99 cents, with no reserve & buyer responsible for pickup. Did pretty well on that one.

I think ebay does a flat $50 listing/selling fee for cars these days, or at least that's the deal I got in my email not too terribly long ago.

I sold my other 928 (an '83 euro S) using craigslist locally & had cash in hand & car gone in about 2 days.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the reply, I think I might as well just go the local route.

I submitted the car last month to Bring-a-Trailer and it was rejected with no real reason given. Now I see there's a car similar to mine (year and color) but with less options, 20k more miles, has been in three-four accidents along with having a Branded Title. I've sent another inquiry about getting my car listed, but it's already been a pretty frustrating experience with them.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think part of the problem with BAT is they want you to set a low reserve.

There are a number of threads on here about BAT. Here is one from last fall:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-miserable-experience-with-bring-a-trailer.532006/