US GP Austin 2017 - Pre race discussion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

US GP Austin 2017 - Pre race discussion

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    True. As soon as he lost the RB seat he was doomed. He did well to cling on this long.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

That is due to Kyvat's own actions in an F1 car....

3. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

If that's the way F1 goes, it's rather depressing.

375+ likes this.
  4. DF1

itschris said:
    Max will win. He'll go virtually unchallenged because no one wants to risk being taken out by him.

Max has much to lose if he goes too far with defense or attack. He will pay a price if others challenge him and I think they will and he over reacts or is careless. Not the current leaders like LH but others. Max is not anything but a driver. He is hardly perfect.

crinoid likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    of2worlds and NEP like this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    of2worlds likes this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Fantastic shots Joe, thanks for posting.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    of2worlds and NEP like this.
  12. DF1

Is Sergio listening.....

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132472/ferrari-risks-chaos-if-it-changes-too-much

Ferrari risks opening the door to 'chaos' if it shakes up its organisation too much in response to the failures that have wrecked its Formula 1 championship ambitions, claims Force India.

The last three races have been a disaster for Ferrari, with Sebastian Vettel falling 59 points behind Lewis Hamilton in the drivers' standings after a crash in Singapore and engine problems in Malaysia and Japan.

The recent troubles have already prompted Ferrari to reinforce its quality control department, with the Maranello outfit appointing Maria Mendoza, an expert in metals and chemicals, to help lift its efforts.

Force India's COO Otmar Szafnauer, who has experience of working at manufacturers during a previous spell with Honda, thinks the key thing Ferrari needs to do is commit to the systems and people it has in place right now.

"The thing that you have got to do is go through the procedures that you have and just follow them," said Szafnauer, when asked by Autosport about how he would react in Ferrari's situation.

"If that happens here [at Force India], and we had an issue and didn't finish, you put it on the fault list, you reveal what happened.

"Then, the engineer responsible will tell you what the root cause was, how we are going to fix it and how we are going to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

"What you cannot do is start changing the processes that have always worked for you, because then it is chaos.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. DF1

Contrast Mercedes approach to the Sergio way..... http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/21049527/toto-wolff-mercedes-success-obsessive-attention-detail

Toto Wolff believes an 'obsessive attention to detail' is the main reason why Mercedes continues to be Formula One's leading team in 2017.

Mercedes has been F1's dominant force since the introduction of the 1.6-litre V6 power unit at the start of 2014. Since then, the German manufacturer has won three straight drivers' and constructors' titles and is on course to make it four in a row with Lewis Hamilton having a 59-point lead over Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel going into the U.S. Grand Prix this weekend.

Despite building a sizeable lead in both championships, Mercedes' performances since the Singapore Grand Prix have been inconsistent with Ferrari and even Red Bull showing a better turn of performance. Wolff believes these races have allowed the team to further understand its car, which in turn, will stand them in good stead for the rest of the season and into 2018.

"We returned from those races with a lot more understanding of our car and of the reasons for the performance swings we have experienced this season. Some of that understanding is already being applied to the final races, some of it will flow into next year's project. But the bitter taste of our defeat in Malaysia once again confirmed that the tough days are the ones when you learn most - and when you lay the foundations for future success.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 19, 2017

Hartley prepares for big step in Austin

Brendon Hartley has admitted getting up to speed straight away in Austin will be difficult.

Toro Rosso owner Red Bull has signed the New Zealander and Le Mans winner to replace Pierre Gasly this weekend, as the Frenchman is racing in Japan.

Hartley, a former Red Bull reserve driver who has never raced in F1, admits he is studying hard.

"I was given instructions for the car which is 50 pages," he told Newstalk ZB radio.

"I will have four hours of practice before qualifying and I'd like to think it's enough to get the speed I need," Hartley, 27, added.

Hartley thinks he was selected by Red Bull because of his success in the top Le Mans category LMP1, where he is a top driver for Porsche.

"If we talk about lap time, the difference is not so great -- around 7 to 8 seconds," he said.

"That is not so much, especially in the race.

"I drive very fast cars, so I think Red Bull invited me partly for this reason but also because WEC cars are very technically complex. We use hybrid technologies, so in this regard it is similar to formula one.

"But it's a big step for me, because six or seven years have passed since I drove open wheel cars. But I try to look at things simply as well," Hartley said.

"It's a racing car, it has four wheels, and for a driver to go fast you have all the same physical laws. So in principle it's similar," he added.

There is speculation Hartley's appearance in Austin will not actually be a one off, as he could be asked to return for the final three races of 2017 in the place of Russian Daniil Kvyat.

"It's only by seeing him over the course of two to three weekends at least that they will build up a real picture of what a talent Brendon Hartley really is," former F1 figure Mark Gallagher told Newshub.

15. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    It is always good to see a new driver get a chance.
    Looking forward to see how he gets through his first four hours before qualifying!

vinuneuro and DF1 like this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    of2worlds likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting photo shots, nice one Joe.

21. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Looks sharp, would be better if it weren't matte.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales