456M strange instrument backlighting problem | FerrariChat

456M strange instrument backlighting problem

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bergxu, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Gents,

The instrument backlighting on my 456M works periodically, as in very rarely. I have determined it's not the rheostat as when the backlighting isn't working, there is no power at the fuse on the fuse board and when the lighting is working, twiddling the rheostat thumbwheel increases and decreases the brightness with no problems or "dark spots". Sometimes however, the backlighting will come on when I switch the lights on and will work for 10-15 minutes then go dark, other times it won't work at all. I don't see that there is a relay for the instrument lighting (the same fuse however also handles license plate lamps, fuse #13 if I'm not mistaken) so unless I'm missing something in referencing the WSM, I'm at a loss as there is no complete circuit diagram anywhere to be seen, only pics of the connectors. I guess what I need to know is what the first power stop in the chain is, whether it be the headlamp switch or elsewhere, I need to know where the heck to start testing. Any help is of course, appreciated.

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    it could still be the rheostat. The transistor inside them can fail, possibly in an erratic manner.
    I would look into repair or replacement if that is the only item not getting power ( license plate lights stay on during the failure?)

3. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    License plate lights go dark too. I feel like the issue is further up the chain.

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Sounds like you might have a fuse box problem. These things are not new anymore....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I had a similar problem with my 550. I would turn on the lights and the dash lights would not come on instantly (or the license plate light, or the fog lights) but would after about 15-20 seconds most of the time. Sometimes not at all. A couple of times, the dash lights would go out momentarily while driving. Traced it down to a bad connection in the connector that connects to the fuse box. Once I traced it down to the right connector, I could get the dash lights to turn on and off by wiggling the wire at the connector. Fixed the connection, no more problems.

6. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the replies, I agree, probably an issue at the fuse box since these were known to have some issues in that department. I'll be doing some investigating hopefully this weekend.

Ryan; was the issue with a pin in a connector or was it at the point on the underside of the fuse board where the fuse slides in?

7. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Pin in connector for me. Good luck.

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thank you. I'll hopefully be able to dig into it shortly. Also suspect a bad ground somewhere as my fuel gauge has a tendency to occasionally dance around. I have to say, the 1990s Ferrari WSMs are among the worst I've ever seen, which of course comes as no shocker, but the old 308 and Testarossa books are far more detailed, IMHO. The '90s WSMs are more like enlarged owners handbooks!