How important is the rear undertray? | FerrariChat

How important is the rear undertray?

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwil, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    Last week i decided to change the oil and exhaust system in the 360. This was one
    purchased off ebay with no ppi (big gamble but it was relatively cheap) Although
    I haven't yet received the records, It supposedly has had the major and clutch
    recently replaced by a ferrari dealer. My big concern is that the undertray and
    clutch inspection cover were both missing. I made an inspection cover out of
    some epoxy fiberglass circuit board material, even though it is not original it
    will work. But how necessary is the rear tray? Is it necessary for aerodynamics/
    thermal management? What sort of goobers have been working on the car to
    neglect replacing these?
    Tasks accomplished, next morning proceeded to undertake a long journey (1600
    mile round trip in 3 days) in this car with some trepidation as to the reliability
    of the 360. The car sounds great with the x-ost muffler and the test pipes, it
    would better if it were a few decibels quieter. No problems on the trip except
    the cel coming up due to the converters being deleted.
    So, should i try to find a used undertray or just leave it off?

2. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good question concerning the undertray. It is a bothersome thing to dismantle for oil changes. I'll be anxious to see replies to this question concerning 430's also..If it is only for aerodynamics I may have mine taken off (slight possibility of the underthings getting dirty of course).

3. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Under tray is very important to the down force the car can generate. Also keeps out a lot of the dirt and gunk from the road, I remember seeing the alternator thread here where the wiring corroded and fried off due to all the dirt that's accumulated over the years, it's only going to be worse without an under tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck, Virulosity and Skidkid like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    FWIW I was surprised to find the under engine "tray" on my 911 was there as a function of reducing engine noise. Seems this was necessary to meet some of the "rest of world" low noise requirements when the car was sold abroad. For the 911 crowd it's a common practice to remove it and run the car without it to improve engine cooling.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is the one. The car will run, and run cooler, without the undertray. BUT your downforce will not be very good and the handling is worse.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh man the dirty engine compartment without the undertray would drive me nutz. The engine on full display and shining and happy is how the car was conceived from day 1. The need to remove the undertray is a nice way to warm up the body and mind for servicing your car. IMO You may need to spend a little on tools to get properly set up so it's not a big deal. If you don't have a lift maybe it's time for a nice set of riser chocks (Race Ramp is good), floor jack (or two) and a lithium ion drill motor. Makita is a personal fave! The worst thing about the undertray is there are different size bolts but they all fit in all the holes! I marked each and everyone and their corresponding position on the undertray but I am not convinced that it matters where they go! Anyone know for sure?

7. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If you intend to drive the car at very high speeds this may be a safety issue. With out a clean underbody in the rear, the car will actually generate lift in the back making the weight on the wheels less and reduce stability considerably. I don't have the data to back up that claim for this particular car, but there have been several incidents in the motor sports world where this was the case. Just something to consider.

8. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Considering my remark earlier, and the one subsequent, I heartily withdraw my desire to drop the under tray!;)

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I ran over a piece of rebar on the freeway a few months ago. The rebar tumble along the undertrays from the front to the rear. It hits the inner sidewall of the R/R tire taking a chunk of rubber, about 6 inches off and exposing the belts. I can't imagine what the damage to the Ferrari will be without the undertrays. Please keep it on. It's there for a reason and safety is one of them.

10. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    I have noticed that the engine gets very dusty and needs frequent vacuuming.
    If anyone knows of a reasonably priced one please let me know, and thank
    you all for the info!