Indy car coming back to Portland in 2018 ? | FerrariChat

Indy car coming back to Portland in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Enzojr, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Thats the rumor going around this morning, official announcement at 11 am PST.
    A real race close by would be nice, certainly a step up from the Greg Biffle dirt track in Banks, Or ;)
    Thinking the last time was 2007 ?

tifoso2728 likes this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great news! Portland is a cool track and had a great crowd back in the day. hopefully they can rebuild the fan base.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Seems like I read the other day that Watkins Glen was out due to small crowds and being replaced with Portland.

Thought things were working out pretty well with Watkins Glen, they'd just not found their calendar niche yet. Having
    been to Portland to shoot the CART race there in 1997, its a great setting but weather was horrible. I'd worked
    a lot of rain races and it seemed as though every race I worked in '97 was rain plagued, but Portland was something
    else entirely.

Once the race was over, I went back to the team hospitality soaking wet and covered in mud. Everyone asked "What
    happened to you?". All I could say was I was working.

On the upside, rain races make for great images.

BHW

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    this would be awesome if true. i live 10 minutes away!

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep, Watkins Glen is out. bummer, but they just couldn't figure out how to get crowds there.

probably didn't help that last year's race was a stop-gap decision to make up for the defunct Boston GP, but still. no crowds = no spot on the schedule.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I had no idea they were running at the Glen till I saw the race on tv. I would have tried to make it there otherwise.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Perhaps if they slotted it to the Fourth of July or Labor Day weekend, it would have made a nice
    bookend to Indy and Memorial Day weekend.

Oh well.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's part of the problem....IMSA at WGI is historically around 4th of July. NASCAR is August (first weekend typically). Lime Rock usually hosts IMSA mid/late July.

Indycar schedule doesn't have much flexibility before Memorial Day, so your options are run WGI close to another big event in the region, or towards the end of the year when weather could be an issue.

Best solution: run late September/early October (F1 was in that time frame back in the 1970s'). End the season there, do the banquet in NYC. Plus, Indycars at WGI with leaves changing color would be picturesque :)

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Want a bookend ? Elkhart Lake on Labor Day weekend. Great weather and you can't beat the brats!! :D

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    If in Portland they need to run race in dry season - would be great!