New Dunlop Sport Classic | FerrariChat

New Dunlop Sport Classic

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by swissbob 365 gtc4, Oct 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Cool I heard Pirelli was working on something similar

2. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Yes it is a shame about these tyres. I don't know why they didn't make a proper period tyre.

Pirelli do make tyres in these sizes http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/pirelli-cinturato and these are genuine Pirelli Cinturato. Made in a Pirelli factory to high specifications with period tread patterns, and a carcass made by a factory that have the heritage to understand the carcass design that is appropriate to cars of this period. Also the side wall design looks right too, (which was a little more tricky but i think they have done well).

I think the 205VR15 Cinturato CN72 http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/205vr15-pirelli-cinturato-cn72.html was fitted to most of the road Ferrari's that were on 15" wheels from 1964, when this tyre first came out theo '60s and into the early '70s. They started phasing over to 70% profile tyres in 1968, starting with the Daytona, and i think by 1972 they were all on 70% profile. And i think predominantly Michelin XWX

For the moment there is a bargain on the 215/70VR15 XWX on our French site https://www.longstonetires.fr/pneu-voiture-collection/ferrari/365/gtc-4.html

But really, why would anyone fit that Dunlop?

3. Hi,

Proper period tyre is ok! i have on my GTC4 new Michelin XWX and my car is 100% original. But why don't try the Dunlop if the ride quality is better?
    I prefer to drive my car and i don't need point on concourse........
    You really mean Pirelli and Michelin is better than other premium product?

4. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I would buy them if they were in the price range of the old Pirelli P4000. $300 -$400 per tire is very steep.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'll be happy to try any above and other brands, then share my opinion (good, bad or ...?) publicly afterwards, but only on ones provided by manufacturer or their supplier. free of charge and no strings attached.

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    This Dunlop is not a period tyre. It has a carcass that includes features which aren't suited to cars of this period. and they don't look anything like a '60s tyre.

I understand that some people who don't drive their cars would be interested in a cheap tyre. but if you do drive it you want it to handle nicely, so you want a period carcass, and of course you want it to look right as well, so I don't understand why would anyone want tread pattern like the one on this wholey new Dunlop?

I get the old SP Sport, that looked right and it had an appropriate carcass. It is a shame that the current ones aren't actually made by Dunlop. but i don't understand why Dunlop have left all that heritage behind and then gone out and made a tyre that looks completely wrong with a carcass that isn't suited to our cars.

A controversial view i know, but an alternative isn't really needed unless you only buy on price. but currently for a GTC4 2+2 here https://www.longstonetires.fr/pneu-voiture-collection/ferrari/365/gt4-2-2.html you can buy a set of 4 or 5 XWX for such good value.

7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Do you sell these new Dunlops?

8. Cheap tyre??????????????????????? in Europe 215/70 15 more expensive than XWX
    Somebody can tell about ride quality of Dunlop Sport Classic? Or only business answer and old carcass history on this tread
    I remember also wery well, in the past XWX 215/70 15 was longtime not produced and available. How many Classic car (not only Ferrari) run on Kumho Van/Cargo because no vintage tyre in the right dimension is/was available? Alternative is ok, and not cheap!

Ps: I'm not in tyre business;)..........and sorry for my poor English

9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I could do. How many do you want?

We predominently sell quality genuine products, and in some circumstances we offer a budget alternative, because sadly if people are just determined to buy on price, well i would still rather they did it with me instead of else where. sadly i do have to be a little commercial.

I also sell things like buget radial alternative tyres for cars like a Silver Cloud where people want a white wall tyre on a wedding car etc.

However if some on rang up for a tyre for the Ferrari 365. i would encourage them to fit a 205VR15 Cinturato, for an early car, or a 215/70VR15 XWX or a 215/70WR15 Cinturato CN12, becvause their car will handle best on a carcass that is deigned to go on a car of that period with an appropriate 170mph speed rating. and nicely has the correct aesthetic appearance. bearing in mind these are built in the worlds best tyre factories so you don't have any quality issues. also they aree made with up to date compounds, so the rubber that is presented to the road on a suitable carcass, offers maximum grip and has improved ability to move water.

What i am not going to do is encourage you guys to do is buy a tyre that looks totally wrong and has - "Latest shoulder block technology, with robust shoulder blocks and reinforced connections, provide increased stiffness*" with the word "classic" written on the side introduced by an accountant in the middle of Europeland who has been told somewhere that there is easy money to be made selling classic tyres. (Nothing against accountants, my mum is an accountant)

While i am busy blowing my own trumpet, i thought i might share this PM with you which i hope will clear up any confusion with buying our special deal on the sets of XWX on the French web site https://www.longstonetires.fr/pneu-voiture-collection/ferrari/365.html

Hopefully it will clear up some interpretation issues

on the french site...
    what is .....
    ht $ price
    tcc $ price
    shipping costs to calif?

Hi

HT $ "price" is the standard price, pre tax.

TTC $ "price" is the price including British VAT (Value Added Tax (or as i like to call it Vodka And Tonic)) which is only applied when the tyres are shipped withing the EU

Shipping to California is free.

If you follow through the buying on line process, you will notice that the VAT is taken off when you put a country outside the EU in the country box and there is no shipping. So if you buy these online it will cost you the HT price straight.

They will take about a week to get to your address

Dougal.

10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal