Will my interest in a drone last more than 5 minutes? | FerrariChat

Will my interest in a drone last more than 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by the_stig, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    So I've casually been considering a drone in the last year or two - we have a couple of toy ones but this would be a bit more serious, probably a Mavic Pro Platinum or similar.
    My question is this: what can I do with it?
    I'm very much afraid that it will be a 5 minute wonder and I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing.
    I can't take it to most events - particularly not race tracks.
    I cant take it to national parks or wildlife preserves.
    Would never dream of flying over lots of people so no festivals or anything - probably banned anyway.
    Certain countries now ban drones entirely - they're probably not on my bucket list but still.
    What do you DO with the footage? Or is that not the point and the point is that it is just something to do? Or are still photographs a better bet?

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's helpful for professional video and photography such as real estate. I've seen some cool videos taken with it for outdoor activities, but honestly it seems like a gimmick for most people. Do you own a GoPro? If so, do you use it frequently? If you do, than a drone would probably be something you may like to have. If you have a GoPro, but it sits collecting dust than I think a drone will have the same fate.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't think the GoPro has been used in 2 years and even then it wasn't by me.
    One of the few uses for a drone that has really impressed me is some very scenic aerial photography as practiced by people like The Walking Drone on Instagram. Posts some great stuff shot around Cornwall, England - small harbors and coves, abandoned tin mine stacks, off-shore stuff looking back at picturesque cliffs, etc. Lovely - but I'm not sure that I want drone photography to take over my vacation trips. I usually don't take a camera on vacation and I'm a pretty avid photographer - just not of holiday snaps.

4. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Yeah, it's kind of pointless. I can see getting some cool shots, and mastering some cool photography techniques. If that's your thing, go ahead and invest the time and money. I like flying stuff...to me drones are remote controlled toys. I like the challenge of controlling one precisely, but they are getting more and more autonomous. I think one day we will be able to buy cool drones that fly themselves and you sit back and enjoy the footage that they beam to you.

I like drones in movies...like that one in Africa where British Intelligence was eavesdropping on a terrorist meeting and trying to decide whether to take everyone out. In the future, I can see drones acting in teams where two set up and "paint" a target and a third one turns itself into a suicide drone and smashes into the target with enough kinetic energy to kill it. That would make for some cool assassination stories.

Other than that, I think drones are like other machines...designed to do boring work (mapping, surveys, data gathering, monitoring, etc.) so humans don't get bored and make mistakes.

I suppose large ones will carry us around as a means of shared point-to-point transport too, and delivery companies will use them instead of humans.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you need a purpose. it is cool the first few flights and making a video to share on Facebook. beyond that you need a purpose. I have 3 properties 470 acres total that I need to do aerial surveys check on roads, ponds, food plots, and help pick spots to hunt. I could also use it for security if I think someone was trespassing. I now view it as 1% fun and 99% tool.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If ypu have a business use for it lije realesate, then it could be an asset. If its just a toy..then it will fade and sit on the shelf and collect dust.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    They are fun in the dessert chasing them with a long gun. Quite popular lately out here :)

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Cheesecake Factory? ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

SoCal1 likes this.
  9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I was eating cake when I wrote that LOL

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    You will lose interest in a drone as fast as people lost interest in replying to this thread lol

Catondrugs likes this.