250 Ferrari GTO vs McLaren F1 | FerrariChat

250 Ferrari GTO vs McLaren F1

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Can we even compare the two cars? And might the F1 McLaren catch the 250 GTO in terms of status and price? I asked a few experts, owners and give my conclusion. Please let me hear your comments and feel free to point out any mistakes I made. Excited to hear what you guys think on this topic!

https://le-monde-edmond.com/mclaren-f1-vs-ferrari-250-gto/

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Apples & oranges.
    Besides, one has pretty much nothing to do with vintage FERRARI dedicated forum section.

mcimino and of2worlds like this.
  3. clive beecham

clive beecham Karting

Mar 28, 2009
    I think you will find when you read your history books that Von Tripps, Musso and Castellotti were all dead and Fangio long retired when Ferrari built the GTO.

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Two real problems with the McLaren BMW values, it does not have it's own motor but one made by an outside manufacturer, and it is British/German not Italian :)

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Correct, but the F1 became an icon and was build in low figueres. Furthermore its a pure car without all this electronical gimmicks and the BMW V12 is a true piece of art.
    I remember when Corse Clienti services a 2002 Ferrari Formula 1 car in Spa some years ago. Next to them mechanics worked on an McLaren F1. In the moment they opened its rear hood and started the engine all Ferrari mechanics were totally stunned and applauded around the car, leaving the Formula 1 loneley behind...

And: keep in mind - the current Ferrari GT-engines were constructed...in Austria!

rainkiller66 and tomgt like this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Apparently, I've been proven mistaken...

of2worlds likes this.
  7. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    As much as I love Gordon Murray's & Paul Rosche's masterpiece you seem to imply that the Ferrari mechanics liked it more than their own F1 engine, which between you and I is a little bit of a stretch. Of course they'd be appreciative of a great engine and wanting to know more about it: they're mechanics after all...

As far as value goes, a 250 GTO and a McLaren F1 are nowhere close. The F1 will be around 12-15 Million. The GTO, easily double this amount. If you compare the McLaren to Ferraris of the same era, then the McLaren will easily hold it's own.

We've yet to see the most valuable McLaren be worth as much as the most valuable Ferrari. I don't believe anywhere soon.

Ferrari engines are all made in-house at the Maranello factory as far as I know...

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The F1 was never thought of as a road going race car by Gordon Murray. He intended it as his vision of the ultimate road going sportscar period. That's why Murray used the NSX as one of the Bench mark cars as he wanted it to be usable on the road as possible.

He also never wanted it to be a race car and has said he would have made a lot of different design choices if he had. The race cars only really came about because of difficulty selling the road cars and a request from Ray Bellm who I believe is a friend of Ron Dennis.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Thank you - very helpful and will update my post as the comments come in.

10. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I think it is ok for this post to be here. Its an interesting comparison. Ferrari is also often relevant in comparison and not only in isolation my friend....

of2worlds and tomgt like this.
  11. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    True. But they are part of the mythos of Ferrari and the heritage which the GTO belongs to even if they were slightly before GTO production began...

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    On top of the pyramid there is room for one marque only. And that name is very well known. Everything else is just in the shade.

Oh, besides that, the Mac F1 boom started only because a certain Swiss based English dealer started to talk up prices.

A proper 250 GTO today is worth US$ 45 to 60 M, depending on provenance etc.
    Still a loooooong way to go for the Mac.

Marcel Massini

Igor Ound, crinoid, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I would say the GTO is (actually) quadruple the amount of the F1.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    YES!
    See my post #12.

Marcel Massini

15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There are currently ten (10) 250 GTO owners that also have a Mac F1 in their stable.
    If you are a regular billionaire you have to have an F1 as well, after all, it is more of being a club member.

Marcel Massini

17. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I have 5 confirmed. I wonder who the other 5 are? If the figure is true it would be incredible. That would mean nearly 1 in every 3 GTO owner owns a McLaren F1. That would really confirm many peoples view that the GTO and McLaren are really the supercars, the Icons and Titans of their era.

Hoodude likes this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree on all points.

19. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    For the moment I agree with you. Ferrari is at the top. But if they bring out SUVs and dilute the brand it might effect the pyramid. And in terms prices recently it is looking less certain for Ferrari. Porsche has done better - maybe due to a shift in demographics. The pyramid used to be more secure for Ferrari in past. The future is less certain....

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hey, the GTO needed 50+ years to get to this value.
    The McLaren needed only 25 years to climb on its current -very high- level.

So lets talk again in 25 years...:)

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, it might be "an interesting comparison" (to some?), but relevance to discuss the "other" brand in this particular (Vintage) section is even less than let's say comparing 250 GTO with LaFerrari Aperta or Pontiac GTO. With these, at least one is same brand and other same vintage, yet neither IMO should be discussed here either.
    Comments solicited and offered ...

22. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    You are assuming that the GTO will not appreciate in 25 years? I would not be surprised that it reaches $100 million by then. Talking about the fact that the F1 took 25 years to reach 15 million, you might want to check for example the LaFerrari Aperta. in a few months after its launch date, one already fetched almost $13 million. Yes, it may be speculation and it is an extreme example, but very limited edition important Ferrari will quickly appreciate, such as very limited, important cars from Porsche, MB etc. For McLaren, the market will decide, but IMO if they continue making cars that are derivative from one another using the same engine (not made by them but by Ricardo) since the beginning maybe the market will decide that most of their cars will not be so valuable in the future. The F1 for McLaren was an unique case when all the stars aligned: an extraordinary engine made by BMW's Paul Rosche exceeding the requirements of Gordon Murray and an amazing design well in advance of its time...

23. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I am with you on that sentiment.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Let's see what happens the next time one of the better Bugatti Atlantics (57591 or 57374) changes hands. Or even a Type 41. Or the MB Uhlenhaut Coupé. Or W196S #0004/55. Overall, there are probably more 9-figure Ferraris than cars of any other make, but I'm not so sure the GTO is truly king of the automotive hill.

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I did no say the 250 GTO is king of the automotive hill. I said Ferrari (as marque) is on top of the pyramid.

Marcel Massini