First NASCAR race - best place to sit? | FerrariChat

First NASCAR race - best place to sit?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 3POINT8, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi - I was thinking of taking the kids to the NASCAR race in Phoenix. Does anyone know if there's a big difference between the sections or what seats to get or if it matters? I'm a causal fan and my kids are under five. Any other tips? Thanks!

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    In general for auto racing, you want to be as close to the top as possible for a better view of the track. If that particular speedway has a covered section, I think that would be good for the kids (especially considering you're in Phoenix). Sitting closer to the track provides a worse view and also a greater risk of flying debris through the fences if there's an accident close by.

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks. glad you said something. i was thinking closer to the front... i'll look for seats high up

4. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The only time I would be up front is they still do open seating in qualifying, then I'd move anywhere and take picture and enjoy experiences from different places.

For fixed seating, go high, you see the whole track vs what passes just in front of you.

I would consider *not* taking young kids to a cup race as a first time thing, it is long and loud. I hope you're going to one of the lesser races as a trial first.

Qualifying is not a lot of entry fee $$$, and you get a great taste of the cars running around the track. That or one of the lower series.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great thank you. i appreciate it!

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I think kids under 12 are free with a paying adult for the NASCAR truck and Xfiniti races.

7. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    With NASCAR attendance being what it is you should be able to move around as you please.... Ear protection is a good idea.

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You can also rent radios at the track to listen in to the drivers and crew chiefs. Phoenix is a midsize track so almost anywhere up high will give you full view. I personally like to be over towards pit road out to see the action leaving pit road.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks guys. the tickets actually seem cheap ($38-$110) compared to a football game. i like the idea of being close to pit row

10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Be careful if you rent the radio, it is NOT "G" rated in any way.

11. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I agree with poster earlier suggestion, being near pit road exit/turn one, that where I always sat. It was initially suggested to me by real Nascar fanatics to always sit there for oval racing.

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great thx

13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I say view it in your easy chair with a cold beer.

lorenzobandini and Alexweav79 like this.
  14. Ya beat me to it.... ;)

15. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    We sat 10-15 rows up right at turn one, could see everything except turn 3 to turn 4.
    So next time would go higher to see more at Phoenix.
    Kids, take ear plugs AND also the shooter type ear muffs.