Clothes and tobacco advertising | FerrariChat

Clothes and tobacco advertising

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by MisterX, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterX

MisterX Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Ancona, Italy
    Full Name:
    Samuel
    Hello everyone,

as we all know the tobacco publicity has been banned in almost the whole world (I think).
    My question is the following: can you wear clothes that display tobacco advertising?

Specifically I have several F1 Ferrari clothes in which the Marlboro sponsor is heavily present, can they be worn or are they destined to stay in the closet?

Obviously I wear them for passion and not because I want to sponsor Marlboro... at most Ferrari!

p.s: I hope I have not had a wrong section.

2. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Why wouldn't you wear them?? Are you doing an ad for TV? Or a movie where you are in front of the cameras? Plus tobacco advertising is getting 'on' again, plenty of movies now show people smoking (it was forbidden for a couple of years).

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
  4. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I posted to the wrong Thread and don't know how to delete it.

Joe

5. MisterX

MisterX Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Ancona, Italy
    Full Name:
    Samuel
    The problem is I do not understand where the law limits! In Italy there is a law of 1962 that says:

The advertising propaganda of any tobacco product, national or foreign, is
    prohibited. "

Wearing such clothes is not it perhaps a kind of indirect advertisement?
    I do not feel anything about wearing such clothes, indeed I do it exclusively for passion for Ferrari and to recall that splendid period!

6. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    You won't go to jail, at most you will get a fine (very unlikelly). I get your doubt now. If it was me, I wouldn't care about that law, because Marlboro isn't a tobacco product, it's a brand. Marlboro slim is a product tho. So you have that as a shield.
    That law is to prohibit advertising, like classical advertising, not clothes or even historic liveries (this one might go into the law scope, but still, not a product, a brand).

MisterX likes this.
  7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think you'll be fine. The law is more about actual advertising, not some guy wearing his shirt around town. But you are in Italy..... anything goes!

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    This has crossed my mind when I've worn my Marlboro World Championship Team jacket to a race but really the only problem is that it makes other teams nervous about me being around them. LOL

9. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    So. What about a car with a historic racing livery? I have seen pictures of cars with distinct Marlboro pattern but no ”text”. I remember that Marlboro ran Marboro is red, red is Marlboro. Had they succeded, all red Ferraris would advertise Marboro cigarettes..