Decided to let her go! | FerrariChat

Decided to let her go!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Scott Ales, Jan 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Sold my 365 yesterday for $60k at the Mecum auction in Kissimmee, FL. It was much fun for a little over a year. Should have taken the $80k + offered last August in Monterey but, that's how it goes sometimes.

In my case with the complicated history of the motor there just didn't seem to be anyone interested beyond that value. Onward ho! Watching for something different now.

2. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #2 Arvid, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Scott, I'm sure the new owner will be very happy with the car. It looked and sounded great.

I remember I was quite intrigued over the engine-story :) Did You ever get any performance figures off the engine ? Dyno ?

Arvid

3. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    No, life got in the way. I regret that more than anything. She was very fast and strong! It was a great deal for the new owner. They should have a bunch of fun! When I pick up my check this morning the owner's name will be on it. I'll invite them to the forum.

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #4 OttoB, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was there today and without having visited this website since Saturday, guess which car was the very first one I saw?

I apologize for the quality of the pictures - it was very frustrating for me as the lighting at the time of the day caused the glare and/or dark shadows to make many pics I took today look very bad... As to this car, the pics do not do it justice - it looked perfect in person, btw - very nice looking car!

Scott, how many miles did you rack up since the redo? It was kept to such a nice, beautiful level that it seemed as if it were a trailer queen?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    :) for selling :( for selling Its always bittersweet

6. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    This is my old car. I would still like to repurchase it if it ever comes up again. I had asked Scott to contact me if he ever sold it, but he did not. I know the car well and regretted selling her. While the engine is not original and the color was changed, I did a lot to the car.

Please feel free to contact me.

7. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    What did you do to the engine?

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm kinda intrigued by that, too!

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is this the one that might have had a longer stroke crank from a 400? Or am I remembering something that didn't happen?

10. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    Just seeing this now. Do not log on often these days. Still think about my old 365 though!

To answer GT Jones question, I didn't do much to the engine. Balanced the carbs, and adjusted the valves, which were pretty close. The engine ran great! It was a 400 long block, though, not the original 365. The engine had been replaced in Europe many years before. Also, I think it was a blue or a white car, originally.

I bought it from a very nice judge just out of San Francisco.

I replaced the clutch and found and installed an original exhaust for it. Also replaced the load-leveler shocks and had Skip McCabe (Mundelein, Il) redo the wheels properly.

I drove her to the Ferrari national at Indy years ago, and have a picture of my wife and I on the bricks in this car at Indy.

Fond memories. Should not have let that one get away.. Now I have a red Fiat Dino 2.0 coupe.