Ferrari Show at Silverstone! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Show at Silverstone!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by f12luke, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Ok. We were in P1 which benefitted from the ever present FOC staff keeping a watchful eye over the cars.

Personally never had a problem at the many events attended over the years ... perhaps I am just lucky.

2. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Just a small point, which I feel needs to be said. The FOC people are not staff - they are 'Prancing Horse Register' volunteers, who do this marshalling and organising for the love of the marque.

They usually work their socks off as they are thin on the groud and don't get much thanks - in fact occasionally the opposite from a small number of owners.

As you say, these guys do a sterling job but is difficult to be everywhere at an event as large as this. I've never had a problem either but at the Silverstone Classic a couple of years ago they almost had to resort to physical blocking to keep mothers with pushchairs and kids on bikes away from a new LaFerrari kindly loaned by a dealer.

Francis was a keen PHR member for many years (and still helps out although an owner himself), and he might have something to say on the antics of the great British public!

3. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Agreed .... staff was the wrong word to use, and hats off to Francis and all PHR volunteers for donating their time.

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Sadly there's always a few who don't respect others property, for me I only experienced a few sticky fingerprints which is pretty normal for this type of event

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I'm the Francis mentioned!. Generally the public are pretty good. My own car a GT4 - not a La Ferrari so not so much attention, but don't underestimate how much the older cars get - had a few finger marks. I can live with that.
    This event had far more families than the Classic which is a much more serious petrolhead event. Also entry was much cheaper so we did get a lot of families who are less experienced in these events. By the nature of how the cars were spread out we helpers found it much harder to police what was happening. We had cars in 5 different locations. At one point we saw two kids get into the 275 4 cam parked next to the FF Corse trailer. It was unlocked and the parents then started to take pics of the kids inside the car. Unbelievable, but then also crazy for that car to have been left there unlocked. But no damage was done

HOWEVER - I think in general people were very respectful of the cars and most parents controlled their kids. But yes - I know it only takes one or two. But don't let that put you off taking your car another year. It really is not that bad. You can suffer worse parking anywhere public.

6. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Well done Francis. I guess your car was the blue GT4 with the informative background history to the tipo posted inside the windscreen ? We were parked next to you on the Sunday ( rosso F355 GTB ).

The GT4 has come a long way since that particular Top Gear episode which featured one. I have become a bit of a fan in fact, and for anyone who hasn't done so I would recommend searching "Pogson GT4" in YouTube to gain an insight.

One thing though Francis, your windscreen leaflet described the car as "unusually designed by Bertone". I know exactly what you meant but nevertheless it did make me laugh a little bit ! .... could you perhaps lose the word "unusually" ?

7. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Yes - that was me. Probably spoke to you. I was hanging around that area looking after the cars all day. Will have a look at my leaflet and maybe change it. Mind you it took me so long to get round to doing that one!. People are interested though. My daughter in law told me I had to do it, and her wish is my command!

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    John Pogson's video is great. I've known him a long time. Good bloke

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    We were there Sat, parked at the "first P1" lot, not down behind the pits. Don't think we suffered to much up there as it was kind of tucked out of the way compared the main P1 area.

Looking around the various cars, the missus liked your GT4 the most; other than the 275 off course!!!! That was so immaculate it was unreal! The respray must have cost more than my car.

10. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Your wife obviously has perfect taste :)

11. michael243

michael243 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Was a good show of different variations of models, although why was the turnout so small?
    I'd thought for the 70th anniversary there would be more cars there this year than last year?

Only 130 cars went on track for the parade on Saturday, which I thought was a really small amount.

Cars also seemed to be parked all over the place and were easy to miss.