FerrariChat.com update - Questions | Page 33 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com update - Questions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Aug 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #801 peterp, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Warning: vague-ish rant ahead.

In many ways, I like the new Fchat software -- it seems faster and has more features. That said, I find it horribly clunky to use. To look at subscribed threads, I have to click (not hover) the top left menu icon, then click "watched threads" then click "There may be more to view". To preview a post, I have to click "More Options", then "Preview", which is a hassle and then the sub-menu it puts you in makes you also lose the ability to see the rest of the comments in the threads. To edit a post, now I have to click "Tools" and then Edit. The "forum" list is so vertically spread out that it is just super clunky to navigate and it takes more scrolling and a more careful eye to find the forum you are looking for. Sometimes I use the badge icon to see new posts, but when I scroll up to the top of the thread and then hit "refresh" in the browser to update the badge icon, many times it puts me back at the bottom of the page so I have to scroll up again to see the badge icon (this is on Safari and doesn't always happen). The excessive use of red is annoying and eye-straining, especially for URL's (which are blue in most standards) and the apparent lack of shorthands for URL's also hurts readability a lot. The posts themselves are so expanded vertically that it is requires much more scrolling to read every thread.

The goal in using this software should be to require fewer clicks and have everything in defined locations, but it feels like the opposite of that -- most of the time I feel like I'm playing "Where's Waldo" to find stuff. Even though I like the new software features and the snappy performance, it's just a lot more clunky to use. None of these requirements for more clicks are big deals individually, but cumulatively the forum feels so much more clunky that it has become laborious to use (and yes, I have given myself time to adjust). I'm using the new theme, rather than the old, to have the latest and greatest, but I really don't like it at all and I browse the forums less because it is so clunky to move around.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you warned us, so that makes it ok. :)

Desktop has you click, how do you hover from mobile?

That is open request we put in 10 days ago, but haven't heard from development.

Desktop there is edit button on the post. Keep in mind if you use mobile you are going to lose some extra options, because that's how they make it fit mobile.

It is the exact same as it was before, but we have explored ways to collapse categories you don't watch.

Try the one of the other 3 themes.

yes, not one of our top priorities right now, but certainly an area we can improve the design. we have mentioned it to development before and no response yet.

Without a doubt the efficiency of user browsing has gone down for now, but hope is as users get comfortable this will improve and areas that are simply bad designed and you can't "just learn" will be worked on.

actually your feedback wasn't that vague, I wish more users would have adopted your style early on respectful, understanding, and offering valuable specific feedback.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, I see it now under the text box (lower left). I'm guessing 98% of people are going to miss it and have a hard time figuring this out.

4. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    98% is a tad high, but I'm sure everyone will get used to it eventually

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't think I'm a "software king" but I'm self taught on many packages and advanced packages. I go on exploratory missions to find stuff. That said, I like the spirit of you trying to improve the multi-quote but I'm providing honest feedback that it's cumbersome to use and my guess is a very large % of people will not find it intuitive. Just look at how many can't seem to notice "full image" when uploading a photo - do you really thing those people will grasp the workings of the multi quote? If you can relocate that button, perhaps it will be more noticeable?

6. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I understand your feedback and I appreciate it, but I think there is a difference between full image and multi quote. People were not actively looking for the full image button (which does not exist anymore), they expected the image to automatically post like the old site (which it does now). I believe people are actively looking for multiquote and will also seek to figure out how it works.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't disagree. I'm merely pointing out that many users won't take the time to learn. The best software is the most intuitive ;)

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image test...

Nope - still thumbnail ;) (old theme)

9. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Thanks for pointing that out. I will make note of it. All other themes do seem to work tho.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

The old vBulletin software had the multiquote feature, so those who used that just fine will use this just fine too - particularly if they're using the FerrariChat Old interface. ;)

Now... BigTex on the other hand... well... :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes, works great. I noticed it too

12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I haven't read all 800 odd posts so this might of been mentioned before... but are we going to change the way sub-forums work? Can we allow for a static tree setup instead of the extra menu that needs to load?

Also another little nitpick at the bottom of the page, the Staff Online Now box comes n goes based on the admins that are online can we move this around and maybe allow for more new posts/new threads as an option?

13. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Not sure if it's been mentioned before, some items are missing in the member profile view when I'm using tapatalk on mobile, such as the real name of a member which is kinda essential when I want to address another member. It could be seen before the change.

14. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Can you elaborate on this? Not sure what you mean

I can easily add more posts/threads, will have to ask developers to move stuff around tho

Sounds like a Tapatalk issue. I will download the app and take a look, but send screenshots if you can.

Anyone else with tapatalk have this issue?

15. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Works on the old theme now. Need to remove thumbnail and full image buttons. If you just upload and hit reply, image will auto embed tho

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    correct, mobile view can't display everything desktop does.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Image test on old theme...

Cool - it works - thanks, Jack :)

Dom likes this.
  18. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Here is my own profile, but without the name, just like other members when I look at their profile.

19. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    if you use your browser instead of app, you will see full name.

20. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I know. Just that the app works well before the change and I though you may like to know. Nothing critical.

Booker likes this.
  21. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    My only beef, which I mentioned before, is the inability to view the thread in reverse order....it's really the only thing that is bugging me. I used to have 100 post per page and reverse order, glorious.

Everything else is just fine for me, I'm not a high power user like some of you. So as long as I can log in and find watched threads, it's all cool.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, tough for our old school users and we've spent a bunch of time analyzing it and talking to developers, it just isn't feasible. it is mostly just us old school users that got use to it like that 15+ years ago. since then default for new users was old to new and very few went in and changed it. we were one of few forums that did new to old option, which I still think makes more sense. :(

23. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Just a quick request - Could the now-missing "locations" be added into the existing threads in the Texas Section (and likely in similar regions).
    The old DFW, HOU, etc in the thread title line were useful for keeping things straight.

24. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I just set them back up. Go test them if you can

25. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    thanks. I guess I just wanted to tell the kids to get off my lawn....harumph. :)