1st Ferrari, Manual 360 of F430 F1? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1st Ferrari, Manual 360 of F430 F1?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JustinNY, Sep 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which would you buy?

1. 360 - Manual

45 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. F430 - F1

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I own a 360 manual but I'd buy the F1 F430 and I have only driven the latter across Oulton Park (UK racing circuit) :D.
    However if you are lucky enough then drive both and decide for yourself.

2. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I advice you to drive both! After that make up your mind. Both have their benefits but as always, it comes down to what you want.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  3. dabigpud

dabigpud Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2017
    The Beverly Hills Police Department is bringing the event to Beverly Hills. See attached ad. Saturday, October 14th, 2017 from 7am-9am.

The men and women in blue will be showcasing some of their top of the line equipment and vehicles while hosting the event. Local coffee truck will also be on scene for attendees. Bring the family. Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dabigpud

dabigpud Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2017
    The Beverly Hills Police Department is bringing the event to Beverly Hills. See attached ad. Saturday, October 14th, 2017 from 7am-9am.

The men and women in blue will be showcasing some of their top of the line equipment and vehicles while hosting the event. Local coffee truck will also be on scene for attendees. Bring the family. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Plenty of interesting insights into this vexed question if you dive into the 360/430 forum. Enjoy either car!

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think you only go 430 f1 if you care about shear speed and performance. If you care about the essence of the drive go 360 manual.

AHudson likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well said

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Between these two I would go with the 360 stick. But I would not go for either car as I find the spider V8s to exhibit quite a bit of structural shake- more than I am comfortable with. If you are in NY you know our roads are not the greatest. I would go with the coupe for its far superior structural rigidity. And then, yes, I would take a 360 stick over a 430 F1. But I would take a 430 stick over a 360 stick--- and I did!

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    As you are considering a 430 F1 ,why not pick up a 360 F1 for a lot less which seem to be a cheap as chips right now.

F430 F1 still depreciating ,so after 1 or 2 years of ownership you could swap for a 430 F1 if you need it.

For me ,if only the 2 options, i would go for the 360 MT.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    f430s are not depreciating - pretty stable for a while now

11. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    I was facing the same dilemma early last year, drove both, and ended up with the gated 360. It just felt more 'right' to me. I have nothing against an f1 trans, but when I started rowing through the gears in that 360 I knew which car I'd be buying.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Kinda disagree with this. Like 599 ask prices used to be $150k+, you now have quite a few in the $130's. F430's now have 15 on cars.com with ask below $100k. It's only going downward. They'll drop into the range of the 360's. Granted we've seen a drop all across the board of Ferrari's in the last few months.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    430s been around 9 to 12 years - what are they waiting for if they're gonna drop more?

14. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I wasn't super impressed with my 360 manual transmission car. The "clanking" of gear shifts that some people seem to enjoy, I thought was a horrible characteristic of the car. I've never owned a car that shifted so loud. It almost felt as though it was broken. The power on the 360 was largely not useable, as it required you being at 5000+ rpms to enjoy it. It was kind of a dog around town to be honest.

The 360 versus 430 interior is night and day too. 360 uses a very dated interior look, where the 430 transitioned into a more "race car" style interior, and comes with a lovely steering wheel with switches. The 360 steering wheel, is reminiscent of a Mazda Miata steering wheel.

Financially, the 360 manual transmission cars are in a bit of a bubble, not sure if they'll stay there or not. The 430 F1's are slowly bleeding in value, however soon enough they will reach bottom, as we have already seen 360 prices bottom out, and 430 prices will always stay higher. From there, they either stay put, or slowly appreciate upwards.

Personally, I'd go for the 430, and buy a nice used M3 or something to get my "kicks" with a manual transmission car.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have never been to Boston but I have lived in a few places. I can't think of one of them where me driving around at 5K RPM for more than five minutes would allow me to keep my license! Bless your heart in Boston! PS. I do think your car was broken, either that or you are calibrated to a level of driving that 99.9% of all drivers will never aspire too. IMHO

Here you are hitting in an area that is worth mentioning to the uninitiated. I know how much time I spent looking at 308 vs 328 interiors and trying to figure out where my money should go before getting a 360. The 430 interior is visually striking and designed to be that. It is adrenaline inducing in a way that translates to contemporary supercars. You know what though? There is something that happens when you distill away the distraction and are left with the heart and soul of the brand. That would be symphony of balance between the road and the engine and for many of us the total control of it! Hence the arguments about taking the clutch out of the driver loop.

I suspect there is a clarity in purpose and a connection to the roots in the less flashy interior of the former car. I would not call it dated, it still looks and feels really good in the flesh. I prefer to think of it as extremely functional like the models of the past that stir my blood. It's not trying to be today's most exciting car and that is a relief to me because I can enjoy it for what it is.

16. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Not a crappy transmission. Its actually the exact same trans with a hydro operated shifting system. As long as it’s used and not a garage queen the system is great

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Amazing how these threads keep popping up. I wont go into what I have said a few times already, but the F1 is more than just pulling the paddles. Take this from someone who has owned both a 430 gearshift car and a 360 gearshift car (plus F1 versions of each), the F1 reacts to the combination of how much you push down on the throttle and what RPM's you are shifting at. You can get lots of different results depending on how you drive, and once you master it, it is pretty amazing. Here is a thought go drive a 4C and then a gearshift Evora 400, and then come back and tell me how wonderful a gearshift 360 is, you wont! I still think the power band in a 360 is better suited to the gearshift, but I just don't think that those gearshifts where all that good.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Did the 4C... and I'll tell you the gated shifter still if more engaging. It's all personal preference...

Tell me that in a year after backing up a driveway or after driving in traffic. You shouldn't have to change the way you drive to suit your transmission. And thats just wear on the friction disc. When I replaced the clutch on my 360 last month (64k miles) it wasn't the clutch plate that had worn, it was the seals on the clutch bearing. I can make adjustments to my input with the pedal for diminishing actuation pressure. The F1 system doesn't. It's a step in evolution.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have been here a long time, and at one point I said I'd never own another new Ferrari because they stopped making gearshift cars (though I think they did make 3 or 4 CA in gearshift), and I have had both and I guess if I only had one car I would see things differently. I still see my 04 gearshift 360 (it belongs to another forum member), my gearshift 430 is in CO. last I heard, and in the 12 years in between my 06 gearshift 430 and my now F1 07 430, I have owned well over 200 different cars, many of them gearshift (all modified), and though if a gearshift 360 or 430 was offered to me at a great deal, I would certainly buy it, I just don't think the gearshift cars are as remarkable as others do. It is not that I don't like gearshift cars, and yes when I go from my 430 or my 4C to the Evora 400 or my Porsche (both are gearshift), or even the Mini Cooper S, they more engaging to drive, but are they more fun. Once again my 4C is far from stock, the 430 has aftermarket cats and headers and my Porsche well many don't even consider it a Porsche anymore. I still keep my weighted gearshift knob I had in both my 360/430 gearshift cars on my desk I am sure someday I will be using it again. It is both a blessing and a curse to have owned so many cars, it changes your perspective I'm not sure yet if that is a good thing or not.

AHudson likes this.
  20. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have had mine for 4 years and it works great for me!

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    And I've had mine for 8....

22. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Awesome for you! Hope you work it out

23. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    had both, would go manual 360 anyday.

from a logical decision, will have better resale / appreciation in the future.

from an emotional decision, sounds much better, more fun to drive.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't like spiders due to the inevitability of an expensive top mechanism failure, and the fact that I feel too vulnerable in completely open cars (I have a motorcycle for that, but I wear a full face helmet and all the gear all the time).

So, just between a manual 360 and an F1 430, I would take the 360 every time. I like the prettier, less aggressive look of the 360 too. That's why I own a stick 360. :)

Mikael-F360 likes this.