Some ignition system confusion on my newly acquired 1975 308gt4 | FerrariChat

Some ignition system confusion on my newly acquired 1975 308gt4

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vespam5, Sep 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    I'm hoping for some help trying to figure out an ignition issue which has had me scratching my head all day long. The car is a 1975 GT4 which has had the second set of points and microswitch deleted. The car is difficult to start up but with some persistence (and a little starter fluid down the carbs) I can get the car to start and idle. Once warmed up, the car runs ok but it seems a bit sluggish to accelerate, it sometimes pops a little under acceleration, and doesn't rev out like a Ferrari should -I suspected the timing/ignition is to blame so today I took much of the ignition system apart for a thorough inspection.

[I'll start by saying I placed an order today for a Pertronix 9MR-183 and new coils which I plan to install as soon as they arrive, but there will be a delay since it is a special order item from Pertronix. In the meantime I'd like to mess around a little bit with the current setup and see if I can get it to run better.]

The car had a new set of solid copper core wires, caps, spark plugs and rotors (all from GT car parts) installed last year when it got a timing belt service.

Here are some of my questions:

I'm setting up the rear bank distributor and wires, the "PM 1-4" marking on the flywheel is TDC for the rearmost (1-4 bank) cylinder #1 correct? At this mark my rear bank distributor should be pointing at cylinder #1?

For the forward bank distributor and wires, the "PM 5-8" marking on the flywheel is TDC for the forward (5-8 bank) cylinder #1 correct? At this mark the forward distributor should be pointing at #5?

Also need help with distributor wire orientation, I have the rear bank wires set up for clockwise rotation of the rotor in the following order 1-3-4-2 and the front bank as 5-7-8-6, is this correct?

Assuming I have this ignition system assembled correctly, I gave the car a crank and after a little starting fluid in the carbs, she fired up and though she was a little hesitant to run at first, she did eventually warm up to a decent idle. After letting the car warm up for a couple minutes, I put my timing light on the #1 and the timing seems to be correct for 1-4 (I can see PM1-4 though window) but something really confused me, when I went to put my light on the #5 lead, I was still seeing the "PM 1-4" mark through the timing window, in fact no matter which cylinder I put my light on, the "PM-1-4" appears. I was expecting to see "PM5-8" when my timing light pickup was on lead #5. Any input much appreciated.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You have a small typo in the 5-8 stuff, but the conclusion is correct (and there is a "notch" in the top rim of the dist. housing as a more convenient target for the rotor end -- but should be as you said: "forward distributor [rotor end] should be pointing at #5 [terminal inside the dist cap])

Solid conductor spark plug wires can crosstalk to each other, and to the outside world, much more (especially if used with non-resistor spark plugs). Your timing light may be so sensitive that it is flashing with every firing event (not just the one that has the timing light pick-up on it).

3. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Forgot to ask: Do you still have resistive extenders in place, or do the solid copper core wires go directly to the spark plugs? And are you using resistor or non-resistor spark plugs?

4. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I just caught my typo. My question should have read:

"For the forward bank distributor and wires, the "PM 5-8" marking on the flywheel is TDC for the forward (5-8 bank) cylinder #5 correct? At this mark the forward distributor should be pointing at #5?"

As for the solid core, I'm not sure why they used it, and it looks like GT car parts still sells it. I know that with the incoming Pertronix setup, the copper core should be replaced (can you recommend a wire set and source?). I understand about the crosstalk, and that may very well be the case since I am using a very modern digital timing light, I will pull out my old 70's Sears-Craftsman and re-check today but with my timing light pickup on #5, I should be seeing "PM5-8" through the timing window correct?

Going to check spark plugs and extenders as soon as I get back to the shop today and let you know, appreciate the help.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Correct.

For the spark plug wire -- look for a spiral (helically) wound fine-wire construction. Don't have any specific sourcing recommendation

6. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Here is a photo of the engine and the plug/extender.

NGK BP7ES

Attached Files:

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Sep 14, 2017
    That's the rather "cold" stock non-resistor spark plug (BP7ES). Unless you are really hammering the engine for extended periods (think AutoBahn), I'd suggest you move to BPR6EIX which is one heat range hotter for rational street driving and will have much better resistance to fouling.

Having the extenders is good, but they come in two flavor: with resistance (maybe 2K Ohms IIRC) and zero resistance, so you might want to confirm which you have - if zero ohm with solid wires and non-resistor plugs, you should be broadcasting to Mars ;)

The stock 308 carb setup is:
    spiral wound spark plug wires (has resistance of ~700 Ohms/foot and some inductance from the spiral winding form)
    extenders with resistance
    non-resistor spark plugs

with the idea that the overall system has some total resistance + inductance (i.e., some impedance) to keep the EMI emissions down (and on the later cars, with transistorized ignitions, to not blow up the output transistors driving the coil primaries). As long as you keep that in mind, you should be A-OK (for example, using the spiral spark plug wires with zero ohm extenders and the resistor BPR6EIX would be very equivalent to stock).

PS You might pull one wire out of the distributor cap to check the construction. The spiral wound wire construction can also be called "solid" since it is a continuous metal wire, but that's very different from just a straight non-wound copper wire core.

8. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Steve thanks a million for your input, it is much appreciated. I paid for online access to some factory manuals (Paul Bennett) but it's sometimes difficult to decipher the type of information I need, your input is golden.

I will order some BPR6EIX plugs. My wires are made from a multi-stranded copper core, straight through design, not wound.....looks like something you'd see in an old lawnmower, though they did come from GT car parts......did Ferrari ever run this type of wire? I ran my multimeter across the terminal of the spark plug extenders and they came in at 0.2 Ohm....

Using my 80's Sears timing light (crosstalk proof), my timing did appear to be correct with PM1-4 showing for cyl1 and PM5-8 showing for cyl5, so at idle of 1000rpm I should be timed to the 7 degree mark respectively, correct?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't think so on the street cars, but don't know for sure. The issue you might come up against is that most "modern" spark plug wires are 8mm OD; whereas, the 308 dist caps are designed for 7mm OD wires.

Yes, that's not right for a carbed 308 (they might be TR zero ohm extenders). However, using the resistor BPR6EIX plugs will compensate.

Correct, 7 deg BTDC (for a R1 only system).

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    why run resistor plugs? the Champion N7Y is solid non resistor plug, OEM spec. I've yet to come across extenders that are of the resistor variant. The spec on the BP7ES plug has a 0.9mm gap and the carb'd GT4 should be 0.4mm, that alone will cause some issues.

Steve where have you found the resistor extenders or recommendation of using resistor plugs in the 308's. Really curious about that.

Just check'd the GT4 WSM, the ground on the micro-switch provides the RF suppression.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Quick easy check, adjust the gap down to 0.4mm or ~.015" and see if that doesn't improve the starting and acceleration.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You don't remember this thread?:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/plug-extenders-differences.450474/#post-143176781

I'll admit now I can't recall whether it was the DigiPlex or carbed models that used the resistive extender, and, with both floating around, it's a bit like wheels -- any 308 could have either now ;).

With regard to resistor or non-resistor, the anti-fouling benefits of the EIX NGK plugs is so significant for a carb model that it's a no brainer for me to use them (EIX are not available in non-resistor).

The 308GT4WSM does show the (crazy) 0.4mm value for the spark plug electrode gap, but if you check later 308 OM (like the 1978), they increased it to a more reasonable 0.6~0.7mm. Regardless of how the plug are supplied, the gap can be readjust to any value.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'm not that old, I do...o_O

Depending on the overall resistance of the wires to the plug and the coils output charge/current saturation, resistor plugs can either work fine or cause issues. Too much resistance will decrease current draw and drop the voltage, severely in some cases, which would require closing the gap or getting a bigger coil, easier to adjust down the resistance of the circuit. I don't know the coil the OP has on hand but the first yrs of the GT4 had dinky little coils and given the RF suppression circuits they used it makes sense that it'd have a small gap. Doesn't hurt to double check and close the gap to see if it helps.

While not a Ferrari, my DD mercedes uses non-resistor plugs and was explicitly design by Bosch that way, resistor plugs cause all kinds of trouble. Have to import the buggers from Europe or Japan now.

Oh and on these older systems of coils and leads... avoid the platinum, blah blah high mileage plugs, copper, nickle or silver only. These old engines were not designed to run on that type (platinum etc..) of plug, the spark induced flame kernal doesn't develop correctly with these old engines as the energy is too low without CDI or COP to run them.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Oh too large of a gap will cause the spark to find another ground, usually thru the wire or extension boot. For those that didn't know.:)

15. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Guys, thanks for the input. Though I am a new owner, the previous owner was a friend and I helped him get all the new ignition parts in it last year. I'm still wondering why GT car parts sold us the copper core wires for this car....

My extenders at 0.2 Ohm are basically non resistor extenders correct? What is typical resistance of a resistor type extender?

Anyway, ordering proper wires today (recommendations for good vendor welcome), I will try my local auto parts store first though.

My local autozone stocks BPR6EIX, what gap should I run?

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Wires that fit into the cap will be a problem, most all are ~8mm in O.D as I recall vs the OEM 7mm. Many have simply shaved down the wire to fit and forgo the outer cover.
    As to gap, manual specs are from 0.4mm~0.7mm, for 1974 it is spec'd at 0.4mm. Honestly I'd re-gap the plugs you have down and see what that does, if it improves things then you have a base point to start from. There is some speculation on re-gapping modern plugs as the metalurgy has changed a bit and the concern is that once at temp the metal memory will re-set to the original gap. Champion has the resistor version available, RN7YC pre-gap'd to 0.635mm, if you go with resistor plugs I'd recommend those.

This is going to get a bit more technical, Champion plugs use a SAC-9 resistor, it's a mix of strontium carbonate, aluminium oxide and copper oxide powders. It's not possible to measure the resistance of them with a std low voltage meter, it actually requires the use of a test set-up with high voltage discharge and induction meters. The resistor is designed for RF suppression. There is also 'wire wound' inductor "resistors", that would not be correct for coil and lead ignition systems and is labled with a 'Q', it's for CDI ignition.
    NGK uses a fixed 5k ohm monolithic ceramic resistor, it's not recommended for older low output coils. Hence why I personally don't favor them in a stock ignition system like the GT4.

17. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Magnacore still has 7mm plug wire

JCR likes this.
  18. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    As does Kingsborne

20. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    #20 vespam5, Sep 14, 2017
    So my local autozone had 8mm wire kits for v8 cars, I bought two full sets and made up my wires, took a little bit of silicon lube to get the 8mm wires to slide into the caps, but it wasn't too difficult.
    That aside I installed new NGK BPR6EIX, they came at a 0.7mm gap, sounds like that will work......

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Carbon contact, like found in electrical motors but a bit more dense. If that was missing the entire time you'd have a dead bank. Very possible, is there arc tracings on the terminals on that one? just looked again, new cap or old one? there is ZERO arc tracing which means that bank was not running if that's the old cap.:eek:

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    do you have the cork gasket?

23. vespam5

vespam5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    The carbon button fell out, and for a few minutes I thought it might have been the problem the entire time. Luckily I found the spring on the floor, I had to salvage a button out of an Alfa cap that I had handy and it happened to be of the exact same dimensions, I got lucky but I have no way of knowing for sure if it was missing the entire time.

I did get that car running tonight on it's new wires and plugs. Set timing to about 7degrees at idle on both banks. The car is still really hard to start cold, warm starting is a little easier. Idle seems so soar up to 2500+ on it's own.......

Maybe distributors are sticking? Or maybe it's time to start looking at carbs, etc.

24. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Time to check cam timing-the belts have been known to slip.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    When the idle appears to rise on its own, on my previously owned 78 308 GTS, it was the floor mats sliding forward and pressing against the gas pedal. I learned from other 308 owners, it was a very common problem. A little Velcro fixed it.