This new format sucks | Page 11 | FerrariChat

This new format sucks

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Gotta say this new version ain't too bad!

I'm running on an iPad but obviously without Tapatalk.

Haven't tried anything complex yet but so far it looks stable, is organized well and seems to fit the IPad very well. Perhaps some optimization already there?

Having worked at a certain fruity computer firm for many year I've dealt a great deal in UI design, tho not as a designer myself. It is difficult work especially across platforms. There are plenty of design books on how to do it mostly right so I'll limit myself to a small bit and this is aimed at the platform I'm running on in particular.

The small fonts allow more info to be put up but do you want all that info there? I find myself poking at a thread name and missing for the author or the date which leads to a different path than desired. Mostly due to how close the selections are. A bit more space and offering the right selections would help ease the misfires.

Like the nav arrows that pop up as I move up and down the page that allow me to jump to top and bottom quickly! Nice. Also, lots of space and info at the bottom which seems unnecessary and makes it more difficult to navigate to the last message.

Anyway, kudos on the conversion and well done on the bug fixes!

SV

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    As the OP, I had a dog in this fight... However, to Rob & Team's credit, many of my original concerns have since been resolved. Now if they could just get the user icons to appear in something other than ultra-low resolution, and make the background the same as it was in the older format, it will all start to feel a lot more like home...

of2worlds and rob lay like this.
  3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Doesn't seem to work with tapatalk (which is what I use for all these forums). Maybe it's been mentioned already, I looked back a few pages, saw the typical insults and in-fighting then gave up.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Hp

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Look at the bug report other thread.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just giving it good as I take it. :). Yes, we have many good users providing great input and being patient.

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Well here's my 2 cents. Assuming it will work with tapatalk at some point, because I'm too old and lazy to deal with 10 different UIs.

One thing I do like is the ability to post pics without being a subscriber. I subscribe most every year but on principle I've always disagreed that I need to pay in order to post pics. Most ppl would pay to see my pics. That seems to have be addressed from what I can tell, and paying to not see ads seems more reasonable and acceptable.

8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I love the quote and reply function. I really love it. And this quote is awesome.

9. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    i don't like this at all. i used to come on daily, now i may just stop visiting site... i can't figure it out its not easy its stupid

10. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    So where else are you going to go to get your daily Ferrari fix? Either you learn to live with the new format and help it evolve with constructive ideas or you will shoot yourself in the foot by leaving and losing something that presumably you enjoy. But your choice.

11. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    The new format seems pretty good to me, and I can't understand why some are thinking of leaving.

The Administrators seem to be on the ball, replying promptly to all the negative posts, and so if there are any justifiable gripes, I am sure they will be sorted.

of2worlds and redcaruser like this.
  12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's getting better. Good updates and I am getting more comfortable.

Roaring Fork River at the new park in Basalt.

Attached Files:

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Maybe getting better.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Now that the side border is back to normal, it's great. Love how to add pics now. Not sure if the option to put thumbnail or normal sized is there but IMO standard should be normal, thumbnail is pointless and irritating.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Read the bug list please.

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe because I am in IT I am used to things constantly changing on me but frankly, I love it! Looking forward to Tapatalk support. BTW I switched to the old format and its a nice updated one.

of2worlds and anunakki like this.
  18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Where is the bugs list?

of2worlds and dustman like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Users need to read this?

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I like the new format. I've grown very used to it quickly. I especially like the ease of loading photos.

rob lay likes this.
  22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Good job Rob and team. Anything new is "scary" to most but a few days in and its like its always been this way - Congrats

rob lay likes this.
  23. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Was thinking exactly this. The art direction is very poor and the red on (so much) white is a nightmare.

24. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I too was shocked but am getting used to it and seeing some advantages. Much easier to post photos that before.

Thanks to Rob for initiating fixes and informing people.

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Rob - it would be nice if the edit option stayed available longer.